Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Default Re: T-Mobile $30 4G plan

So quick question. I'm going to be trying out the T Mobile $30 plan, but was wondering if there is a way to buy an extra bundle of minutes that I can use in addition to the 100 that are provided with the plan. I think that I can get away with 100 per month but would like to have a buffer in case I am going over. If not, would getting an additional SIM card with just extra minutes (1000 for example) be a viable option? If I am getting close to going over in minutes and need to make a longer call, for example, I could just pop in the minutes only SIM. I'm on Verizon now so will be new to the prepaid SIM world. Thanks

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jab0321 View Post
    So quick question. I'm going to be trying out the T Mobile $30 plan, but was wondering if there is a way to buy an extra bundle of minutes that I can use in addition to the 100 that are provided with the plan. I think that I can get away with 100 per month but would like to have a buffer in case I am going over. If not, would getting an additional SIM card with just extra minutes (1000 for example) be a viable option? If I am getting close to going over in minutes and need to make a longer call, for example, I could just pop in the minutes only SIM. I'm on Verizon now so will be new to the prepaid SIM world. Thanks
    If you feel like you're going to regularly be over 100min, have you considered https://www.straighttalk.com/ ?
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

All you need to do is buy more refill cards and dump them into your account. I believe some of them do expire after 90 days (not sure on that though) so just make sure you don't put in too much.

Thanked by:

ROM
    "Black" FI27 ICS

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    I will be doing this too. My contract with Sprint is up and I can't wait to try this out, it will save me a lot of money in the long run. My only problem is keeping my number, I have never been on any other carrier so I don't know how phone number switching works? Can I switch my Sprint number to T-Mobile's pre-paid? I don't know how any of that works.
    I will be moving from Sprint as well. T-mo "4G" data speeds are better than Sprints WiMax 4G speeds around here. You should be able to transfer your phone number wherever you go. I think there are laws about that now. To make it easy, my plan is to transfer my # to Google Voice and then I can switch carriers all I want and never have to worry about moving my # anymore. Of course if Voice ever goes away I would be screwed, but I will be in good company.

ROM
    "Black" FI27 ICS

Just curious, There are only 100 min. talk in this plan. How do you plan to stay under that? Just anti-social?

I mostly communicate through texts anymore. My wife got me doing that. She can go through a few thousand texts a month. My mom is the only one that calls me much anymore, and that is because she still gets confused if she gets a text. I figure if I find 100 minutes is not enough I can always look into Skype or other VOIP options.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles7361 View Post
    Just curious, There are only 100 min. talk in this plan. How do you plan to stay under that? Just anti-social?

I mostly communicate through texts anymore. My wife got me doing that. She can go through a few thousand texts a month. My mom is the only one that calls me much anymore, and that is because she still gets confused if she gets a text. I figure if I find 100 minutes is not enough I can always look into Skype or other VOIP options.
    You answered your own question, lol. I also mostly communicate via text. 100 minutes a month will be plenty for me, and you can configure a voip setup to use wifi calling when you're at home, this is explained well in the guide below.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1646755

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    "Black" FI27 ICS

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing and there is a lot of great information there!
    2defmouze likes this.

ROM
    CM 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles7361 View Post
    I will be moving from Sprint as well. T-mo "4G" data speeds are better than Sprints WiMax 4G speeds around here. You should be able to transfer your phone number wherever you go. I think there are laws about that now. To make it easy, my plan is to transfer my # to Google Voice and then I can switch carriers all I want and never have to worry about moving my # anymore. Of course if Voice ever goes away I would be screwed, but I will be in good company.
    What do you mean transfer your number to google voice?? I have google voice set up, but I'm not sure sure what you mean by transfering it to google voice?

What do you mean transfer your number to google voice?? I have google voice set up, but I'm not sure sure what you mean by transfering it to google voice?
    Google Voice can be used as a primary phone number rather than just voicemail. If you port a number to Google Voice, people can call that number and you can forward it to any phone you'd like.

LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

If you already have a phone number you want to keep, you can have it become your Google Voice phone number instead of the random one they assign you.
    Costs $20 to set up.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Tethering = Wifi Hotspot. Same things apply.

No, they announced more locations with 1900MHz HSPA+, which is part of their rollout to try and get unlocked iPhone users to come to their network.

T-Mobile is working farm popular markets from 1700/2100MHz (AWS) to 1900MHz so they're compatible with AT&T's devices.
    Technically he wasn't wrong..they still announced new HSPA+ markets, just specifically for 1900MHz - which T-Mobile users on Nexus 4's can take advantage of.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    You answered your own question, lol. I also mostly communicate via text. 100 minutes a month will be plenty for me, and you can configure a voip setup to use wifi calling when you're at home, this is explained well in the guide below.

[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I thought you can't do wifi calling on the new Nexus 4? Maybe I'm losing my mind, but can someone confirm this, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
    I thought you can't do wifi calling on the new Nexus 4? Maybe I'm losing my mind, but can someone confirm this, thanks.
    You are correct wifi calling is not supported, however wifi calling on Tmobile is not the same as using VOIP. Basically with wifi calling you are using wifi to call phones using your minutes still. This would be useful if you have bad signal in your house/business. VOIP will let you use your data connection (unlimited) instead of your 100 minutes.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
    You can't use T-Mobile's proprietary wifi calling app.

But you can use VOIP to your heart's content.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    You are correct wifi calling is not supported, however wifi calling on Tmobile is not the same as using VOIP. Basically with wifi calling you are using wifi to call phones using your minutes still. This would be useful if you have bad signal in your house/business. VOIP will let you use your data connection (unlimited) instead of your 100 minutes.
    That's not how I understood it. I've always thought TMo's WiFi calling on compatible phones allowed unlimited calling using your mobile number through a WiFi connection. Because you wouldn't be fully using their bandwidth to route your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyMorgan View Post
    That's not how I understood it. I've always thought TMo's WiFi calling on compatible phones allowed unlimited calling using your mobile number through a WiFi connection. Because you wouldn't be fully using their bandwidth to route your calls.
    Only if you had a plan that allowed them to put the account addon that gave you free minutes. Don't think they offer this on prepaid plans, it was always an extra account add-on for postpaid plans, at least when I had T-Mo.

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts

AFAIK, TMO doesn't allow conditional forwarding so GV won't work the same as it does on ST.

Calls go to your TMO voicemail and GV won't pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    AFAIK, TMO doesn't allow conditional forwarding so GV won't work the same as it does on ST.

Calls go to your TMO voicemail and GV won't pick them up.
    Right, T-Mobile prepaid doesn't have conditional call forwarding. This is only an issue if you intend to use your T-Mobile number with GV just for voicemail. If you're using GV as your primary number, there will be some configuration but it'll work.

Good to know! That means I can tether on my tmo unlimited

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts

I fiddled with it last night and couldn't get it to work. In addition, I'm nervous with TMO coverage where I travel. This doesn't seem to be an issue with ST using ATT's towers.

I'll have to learn to use wi-fi more consistently to keep from being throttled/dropped though

Right, T-Mobile prepaid doesn't have conditional call forwarding. This is only an issue if you intend to use your T-Mobile number with GV just for voicemail. If you're using GV as your primary number, there will be some configuration but it'll work.
    OK, I'm confused. If you are planning to port your current VZW number to Google Voice, then use Google Voice for dialing outgoing calls so that everyone still sees you having the same old phone number you've always had, this will or will not work on either T Mobile (prepaid $30 plan) as well as on Straight Talk (I guess using AT&T as the actual carrier)?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    OK, I'm confused. If you are planning to port your current VZW number to Google Voice, then use Google Voice for dialing outgoing calls so that everyone still sees you having the same old phone number you've always had, this will or will not work on either T Mobile (prepaid $30 plan) as well as on Straight Talk (I guess using AT&T as the actual carrier)?
    It should work just fine on either. The guide from XDA was written by someone who uses the $30 prepaid tmo plan, and I've heard from others it works: [GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

He explains in there what you need to do to get everything up and running
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

So I am planning on porting my current number to GV and then having whatever t mobile number I get added to my GV number. I am planning on using this to receive all my phone calls from the GV #. So are you saying this won't work or there is just some configuration that needs to be done also? If this is the case, what type of configuration is needed? I will be coming from Verizon so this will be somewhat new for me. Thanks for the help!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

So I am planning on porting my current number to GV and then having whatever t mobile number I get added to my GV number. I am planning on using this to receive all my phone calls from the GV #. So are you saying this won't work or there is just some configuration that needs to be done also? If this is the case, what type of configuration is needed? I will be coming from Verizon so this will be somewhat new for me. Thanks for the help!
    Read the guide I linked to right above your post. He explains everything you need, what to configure with tmobile, etc. It's all pretty simple
    Thanked by:
    tharealest likes this.

Google Voice can normally 'intercept' calls made to your handset (ie, not the Google Voice number, the number assigned by the carrier) and route them to the Google Voice voicemail (giving you online access, transcriptions, etc). This doesn't work on T-Mobile, but it's only an issue if you have people calling you on your carrier-assigned number and leaving messages.
    Thanked by 2:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast