Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TheLibertarian
  • 2 Post By Phil Nickinson
  • 2 Post By brendilon
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quick thought re: LTE

Look, I'm not looking to start some huge raging debate, but I just don't see how LTE is as magnificent of a drawback as some of these other reviewers seem to make it out to be.

IMHO, Verizon is the only LTE network worth using considering its coverage. Granted, if you live where AT&T covers, that's fine, but their coverage is so minute it doesn't seem worth mentioning.

Now, I understand Verizon has a huge customer base (myself included, at the moment), but I feel like this phone (more than many) is used on the prepaid plans; and even for those not on prepaid, the GSM/HSPA+ network seems far more versatile (considering the providers) than Verizon's CDMA/LTE network is.

For me, I'm dropping Verizon in favor of Straight Talk (grad student i.e. cost cutting), so I couldn't care less about LTE. T-Mobile has no LTE whatsoever, and Sprint's is not worth mentioning (I'm unaware if Sprint has deployed LTE yet or not).

All I'm saying is: most of the N4 reviews bash the phone for a lack of LTE, when realistically, Verizon is the ONLY NETWORK that has successfully deployed coverage across the country. Every reviewer makes it seem as though LTE is a broad network offered by multiple providers (giving consumers choice), but that's just not the case. AND, on top of that, there are almost no prepaid providers that utilize LTE.

Just my thoughts, if someone would like to voice theirs or educate me further on the matter, be my guest.

Sidenote: Yes, I do realize Google is losing vast market share with not offering an LTE model for Verizon customers, however, has Google ever really designed the Nexii-line to be a mass seller? Answer: No.

In closing: I love LTE, and it's obviously the future, but in 1-2 years it will be more widespread and a more competitive market place (not to mention batteries will likely be better equipped to handle the power usage of LTE radios). In 2012/2013, I just don't see how a lack of LTE is such a massive "flaw."
    gone down south likes this.

Default Re: Quick thought re: LTE

I agree with that statement, I myself are currently sitting my exams now but for High school in Australia. Procrastinating as i just did last years exam for the 20th time.
    Here LTE is only available on 2 networks, not wide spread very far and that is only on plan. I used to be on a plan but now transferred to prepaid do to the cheap nature of it and mum refused to move my plan from an expensive carrier. Right now here LTE is a bit of a show, every network uses GSM and as i said LTE is not overly established and EXPENSIVE. Personally i only browse the internet on my mobile when i am connect to wifi as also data plans here are expensive. I personally believe that people are just choosing a small thing about it and blowing it up over sized.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,162 Global Posts

Not having LTE is not the reason the N4 will never have the same marketshare as a consumer phone.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    blackmannx#AC and Ry like this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Here's the thing.
    Some people expect the Nexus line to be all things to all people. They want the Nexus line to conform to their vision of what an Android device should be.
    But it's not.
    The Nexus line is what Google envisions an Android device should be. This means vanilla Android. No SD Card, because Google considers that something that complicates file management. And it means being open to roll to whatever network you like. Verizon and Sprint, they don't want that. LTE doesn't allow that. So Google goes with the path that fits their vision, which is GSM/HSPA. This isn't the vision everyone shares though. Some recognize that their vision simply doesn't match Google's and are content to find a device that does match what they want in a phone. Other choose to strut and fret, full of sound and fury. Generally though, my opinion is this last type, they're the type of folks who are never satisfied, give them everything they ask for and they'll wonder why they didn't get more. They're not worth the trouble of trying to please.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Not having LTE is not the reason the N4 will never have the same marketshare as a consumer phone.
    Always nice seeing you drop a line, 'ppreciate it.

I'm well aware of that, however it has been mentioned as a strike against it as far as market share goes by other reviews (no worries, read your review, not you). Also, compared to the big names i.e. The Verge, Engadget, CNET, your review was spectacular and so in depth. Thanks for taking the time to write!

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Can you explain?
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Can you explain?
    I think his implications were pretty clear.

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    I think his implications were pretty clear.
    Ok so then you explain?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    ______

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Let's see if I've been paying attention enough during my time here to channel Phil's point.... [/puts on swami turban]

The Nexus 4 will never match the sales of most consumer phones for the simple reason that it's only available in two places (in America): The Play store online and T-Mobile retail shops. It's not at Best Buy or Fry's or Walmart or Amazon or anywhere else including, most importantly, the stores of the three largest carriers in the land. No one is going to stumble over an N4 and decide to buy it; people will need to hunt the thing down.

Next is the service situation: It doesn't come with any unless you buy on contract from T-Mo. If you buy from Play, you've got to supply some service yourself. Perhaps you already have a SIM for AT&T or T-Mo that you can pop in and be on your way, but if you don't, you'll need to sign up to either AT&T or T-Mo's services or deal with an MVNO and the vast majority of the public when asked thinks a MVNO is the chemical name for Ecstasy.

So you've got a phone you have to find to get unless you wander into the store for the smallest carrier, but will mostly be sold to nerds for whom dealing with the hassle is part of keeping their geek cred. There will be no ads with King James or mocking the iSheep queuing up for the latest iThing and looking on with envy at the glories of Galaxy life. Even among most nerds, the word "Nexus" is either followed by "6" or refers to the energy ribbon in Star Trek: Generations. While it runs on half of the American airwaves, it's only physically touchable in one carrier's stores; Verizon and Trudge users are SOL.

Don't forget that AT&T and Trudge will get versions of the N4's fraternal twin, the Optimus G. That makes three of four carriers supporting this phone in one form or another.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Let's see if I've been paying attention enough during my time here to channel Phil's point.... [/puts on swami turban]
    Basically a lack availablility but the iPhone started on AT&T. Now I know the iPhone was special case because it was the first. I believe Google market phone enough that lack of availability would not quite an issue.

Now the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are same in specs but now tech savy are going to see different phones. They look different enough and run completely different software. I honestly believe the optimus G effect sales any differently then any other phone would.

One another I believe focusing on just US because the availablity globally is much higher. Plus the market for non LTE consumers international are twice our us market as a whole.

Still like to hear what Phil have to say?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Solve
    Answer
    ______

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm not clear on what you're saying. Are you equating the iPhone being originally only on one carrier as being equal to the Nexus 4's situation? If so, you're comparing apples to cinder blocks.

While the iPhone was only on AT&T, it could be bought and provisioned EVERYWHERE. You didn't have to go to an outlet for the #4 carrier; you could go to Best Buy and the clerk would set you up. You didn't have to hunt down SIMs from people who thought you meant the video game.

The caterwauling over the lack of LTE ignores shark-like need to keep swimming forward or die Google has. It may've taken 6-12 months to make the deals for an LTE Nexus which would mean the poor Galaxy Nexus would've been 2 years old or they could go NOW with a kickass phone at half the price.

Think of it this way: If people would normally pay $600-$700 for an unlocked handset they'd use for two years, what's wrong with charging half for one they could use for a year and then move up if they wanted?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:
    gone down south likes this.