Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Default Never ordered hardware direct from Google before

I know that no one knows what time they will go on sale (I suppose we'll know more when the people in Australia can order theirs), but does anyone know when they will ship it?
    O2 have confirmed to me that they will have them in stock in their stores on the 13th for people to walk away with them that day. If I order from Google UK on the 13th are we likely to receive on the 14th? (the reason I ask is that's the only day there's someone in all day at home for 2 weeks!)
    Do they ship from the UK or will it come from abroad?

Default Re: Never ordered hardware direct from Google before

I am in the same situation as I will have no one at home - well i kinda do but mum isn't reliable and Google doesnt do PO Box's, an idea can be to mail it to a friends house. Which is what i am probably going to do. I am Aussie, So Iwill give everyone a heads up on the 13th if I wake up and its release, it would be 1pm or 5am my time ill do that as I have an exam prior (last one YAY!) but 1am or 5pm US time.

I have a gut feeling they will ship it right away and already have the stock ready, it just on delivery depends on the courier. I think they might do it abroad, but then again they could get stores holding it in your country to mail it. I have no clue, it probably Googles secret till now, but If i find one instore for about $20 or less more, I will buy it there rather then online. Sorry i am not much of a help. The reason i am thinking abroad because I asked JB HI FI if they will stock any and they said their Australian release might be delayed due to the hurricane so I think thats a hint they might be in the US at the moment, well least for now.
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

My suggestion is: Google will put it on sale whenever they want to, it could be a day before, it could be on midnight, it could be in the morning, no one knows.
    To the question if the phone will arrive the day after, that again depends on Google. On the help page it says that it might take Google up to two days to process your order, hence a delivery time of 3-5 Days. If you are lucky though you could get it the next day, again no one knows.

Here's a good example showing that Google can do whatever they want. The Nexus 7 was supposed to be available from August 30th (in Germany), but they actually started selling them on August 27th already.
    Anything can happen!

Was the 27th the order for them but they shipped it a few days later or was it in their hands by that day?

They started shipping the 27th as well, many had it the next day already. So I assume as soon as the order page goes live they will start shipping.

They'll be shipping via TNT here in the UK and say 1-2 days delivery, however TNT only offer next day delivery to my knowledge so this looks like Google giving themselves some wriggle-room on the shipping dates to me.

You say O2 have said they'll have them in store; did they mention a price at all for sim-free or are they only on contract? Wondering whether they'll match the Play store prices or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrential View Post
    On the help page it says that it might take Google up to two days to process your order, hence a delivery time of 3-5 Days. If you are lucky though you could get it the next day, again no one knows.
    I had the same message when I ordered my Nexus 7 and expected 3-5 days but was very happy to have it delivered the next day after I ordered it. In all the processing and shipping from the time I placed my order was less than 24 hours and I had my Nexus 7 in my hands. I am hoping this will be the same.
    Zee

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Why do I get the feeling this Nexus launch will be bigger than any other Google has done? I see so many people with the same questions (myself included) as to never having ordered direct from Google before. I already know of a friend of mine who is also ordering the Nexus 4 along with me, I think Google might be in for a shock at how popular this phone will become. I hope they're ready to meet demand.

Google is not such a ridiculous company like Apple, who are in the news again today because apparently Foxconn has trouble producing the iPhone 5 (which I still believe is an artificial problem to stay in the news with their product).
    Google wouldn't release a phone for such a low price and then barely have any in stock, after all the phone's been done for several weeks now, and as far as I read Google will release an update for 4.2 already on the 13th, which to me means that the phone has been in production for a long time, so they weren't able to preload the fixed version on it anymore.
    That's just my guess though.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antonusklesk View Post
    You say O2 have said they'll have them in store; did they mention a price at all for sim-free or are they only on contract? Wondering whether they'll match the Play store prices or not.
    they don't do SIM free, they just said I could renew for 2 years and the phone would be free on all contracts at 36 a month and over (well over 800) so I gave them my notice and moved to Three UK

Ah ok cheers, I thought that'd be the case. I've done the same as you and gone to Three, hopefully ordering from Play store on Tuesday it is then :-)

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    Why do I get the feeling this Nexus launch will be bigger than any other Google has done? I see so many people with the same questions (myself included) as to never having ordered direct from Google before. I already know of a friend of mine who is also ordering the Nexus 4 along with me, I think Google might be in for a shock at how popular this phone will become. I hope they're ready to meet demand.
    I don't know about that

I think your basing your info off people on forums like this who WANT the phone vs "everyday" people who have no idea about the phone. Most people get there phones directly from carriers or just walking into brick mortar stores.

Now the techie guy and gals out there know all about this device. I'm pretty sure (if google made enough devices) we all should have no problems ordering the first few days of launch.
    Zee

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
    I don't know about that

I think your basing your info off people on forums like this who WANT the phone vs "everyday" people who have no idea about the phone. Most people get there phones directly from carriers or just walking into brick mortar stores.

Now the techie guy and gals out there know all about this device. I'm pretty sure (if google made enough devices) we all should have no problems ordering the first few days of launch.
    In a way I hope i'm right and wrong. I want the phone early so I hope I can order it right away, but I also want the phone to be a runaway success for Google so I want it to sell out.

You're right though I think the Nexus brand is becoming more "known" outside of just the techie circles now. The Nexus 7 is being sold up here in Canada in many stores, Indigo just announced they'll be selling them as well so the name is getting out there.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    In a way I hope i'm right and wrong. I want the phone early so I hope I can order it right away, but I also want the phone to be a runaway success for Google so I want it to sell out.

You're right though I think the Nexus brand is becoming more "known" outside of just the techie circles now. The Nexus 7 is being sold up here in Canada in many stores, Indigo just announced they'll be selling them as well so the name is getting out there.
    Yeah, Google needs to market this new line 4, 7, and 10 to the everyday customer, especially during the holiday season. Advertising and marketing big time. I hope they do, it's a great lineup. This is a main reason why Apple succeeds. It appeals to the tech junkies and the average joe. It's really simple when you think about it.

Hopefully like you guys said above with the one day shipping the same occurs to Australia. Will be wrapped with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully like you guys said above with the one day shipping the same occurs to Australia. Will be wrapped with that.