Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Martonik
  • 1 Post By natehoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 on AT&T

Alight, so I'm planing to upgrade to the Nexus 4 from my iPhone 4. I'm on AT&T and I have an upgrade available. I'm also on a family plan and as much as I'd like to try the prepaid route, I'm going to stay on contract.

I was thinking of using my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 on contract, then sell it on eBay, and use the profits to pay for the Nexus 4. I was hoping to get the iPhone up-opened, but I talked to some friends of mine that work at Best Buy and they claimed that if I were to use my upgrade that I would have to have the phone activated since the 5 has a different sized SIM card than the 4.

Since the Nexus and the iPhone 4 both use micro sim I was hoping I could buy the iPhone 5 un-opened, sell it to buy the Nexus and just pop in my sim card without having to go back to AT&T and get my sim switched again.

You guys have any insight into this process?

Thanks!

Default Re: Nexus 4 on AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Thorton View Post
    Alight, so I'm planing to upgrade to the Nexus 4 from my iPhone 4. I'm on AT&T and I have an upgrade available. I'm also on a family plan and as much as I'd like to try the prepaid route, I'm going to stay on contract.

I was thinking of using my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 on contract, then sell it on eBay, and use the profits to pay for the Nexus 4. I was hoping to get the iPhone up-opened, but I talked to some friends of mine that work at Best Buy and they claimed that if I were to use my upgrade that I would have to have the phone activated since the 5 has a different sized SIM card than the 4.

Since the Nexus and the iPhone 4 both use micro sim I was hoping I could buy the iPhone 5 un-opened, sell it to buy the Nexus and just pop in my sim card without having to go back to AT&T and get my sim switched again.

Thanks!
    Go to the store and ask. They can do it, whether they will or not is up to them.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, I'll have to find a way to convince them.

I'm not sure what the price difference between and up-opened iPhone and and open one would be, but there are some crazy prices.

Global Posts
    1,674 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

The Iphone 5 uses a nano sim not micro. You will have to get a adaptor and I'm not sure how it will work in the Nexus 4 loading tray. The nano sim will work with an adapter in the Gnex, I'm using it now in mine. I'm just not sure how it will work in the Nexus 4 with a adaptor inside that side-loading tray. I think it would be easier to just get a microsim from At&t when you get the N4.

Quote Originally Posted by rthorton View Post
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking, I'll have to find a way to convince them.

I'm not sure what the price difference between and up-opened iPhone and and open one would be, but there are some crazy prices.
    Simplest way would be to have them activate it while you are at the store, when you are all done with that transaction have them give you a new micro sim and activate your old iPhone 4.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Simplest way would be to have them activate it while you are at the store, when you are all done with that transaction have them give you a new micro sim and activate your old iPhone 4.
    Yeah That'll work I think.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Tell them you don't have a lot of time to process the upgrade and would prefer to activate (or get a new SIM card) at a later time. Or better yet, tell them its for your spouse (or family member) and they are unaware that you are purchasing the device and don't want to disrupt their current cell service by activating the new phone. Ask to take the device home unopened just in case its something they don't want so there is no hassle with a future return.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Tell them you don't have a lot of time to process the upgrade and would prefer to activate (or get a new SIM card) at a later time. Or better yet, tell them its for your spouse (or family member) and they are unaware that you are purchasing the device and don't want to disrupt their current cell service until by activating the new phone. Ask to take the device home unopened just in case its something they don't want so there is no hassle with a future return.
    If I told them I wanted to do it later, and left my current phone active, would I have to change anything once I got the Nexus 4?

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

No, you just purchase the Nexus 4 and pop in your SIM card. I've had friends do this (not with these same devices) in the past and have had no issues. Though, you want to check the Best Buy fine print and see if there is anything about not actually using the iPhone 5 if you purchase it on contract.

Before you go out and do this you want to wait for someone with a little more personal experience with this to chime in just in case there is something you need to know

Do the upgrade online and have them mail you the ip5. Then you'll get it unopened. But I'm not sure if the sim in the box will be preset to take your number in their system or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

You can try to ask the AT&T rep to not open it, but they're usually going to because like you said the SIM cards are different sized and they'd like to activate the new SIM in the store.

Regardless, if they issue you a Nano SIM for the iP5 you can ask them to reprovision a Micro SIM for your N4, or you can buy an adapter for Nano to Micro.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    srkmagnus likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I had tried this previously with AT&T and did not have any success. Their stance was that they are giving you a huge discounted price on the phone and therefor it had to be activated on theiir network. They also pointed out that they had an agreement in place with Apple and that they were reqeuired to activate the phone at the time of purchase. I was also told that their agreement which you sign on the terminal agreeing to the two year contract contained clauses requiring me to keep the iPhone active on their network for the duration of the two years or I could be subjected to a penalty.

I have not put this clause to the test and cannot say weather they would take any action on this or not. But, it is worth mentioning here for reference.

I am sure AT&T is like any other company and as long as you have a device on their network and under a contract rate they are not going to raise any flags. As to getting it packaged that would depend upon the sales rep and I am also certain that they are under some sort of sales metric and will do what they can to get you walking out the door with a new phone. IMHO
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by KenDavidson View Post
    I had tried this previously with AT&T and did not have any success. Their stance was that they are giving you a huge discounted price on the phone and therefor it had to be activated on theiir network. They also pointed out that they had an agreement in place with Apple and that they were reqeuired to activate the phone at the time of purchase. I was also told that their agreement which you sign on the terminal agreeing to the two year contract contained clauses requiring me to keep the iPhone active on their network for the duration of the two years or I could be subjected to a penalty.

I have not put this clause to the test and cannot say weather they would take any action on this or not. But, it is worth mentioning here for reference.

I am sure AT&T is like any other company and as long as you have a device on their network and under a contract rate they are not going to raise any flags. As to getting it packaged that would depend upon the sales rep and I am also certain that they are under some sort of sales metric and will do what they can to get you walking out the door with a new phone. IMHO
    This is defiantly something I need to watch out for. Thanks for the heads up

Global Posts
    3,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Order it online and then don't open it. The iPhone comes with a SIM already inside. You can order from either Apple or AT&T. When you get your Nexus 4 just pop in the microSIM you have now. I'm using the microSIM from my iPhone 4 in a Galaxy Nexus right now.

Also remember other retailers may not make you open it. Apple, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc may be different. No reason to only go to AT&T; in fact I would go there last.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I really want this damn phone already.

Again thanks everybody.

I'm with Att too, but on contract.

Should be easy as swapping my 4S sim card to the N4 or do I have to configure APN settings?

Better yet jailbreak/unlock the iPhone.. You'll get more money on Fleabay for it, and it's a perfect reason for the box being opened..

ROM
    Stock

Get the Nexus first, activate it on your line, then do the upgrade online so they ship you the phone.

Of course, with Straight Talk at 45 a month and using AT&T towers, I'd just switch to that and save the monthly fees rather than using an upgrade to basically take out a loan that will be paid back with lots of interest over two years.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X
    dwd3885 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Of course, with Straight Talk at 45 a month and using AT&T towers, I'd just switch to that and save the monthly fees rather than using an upgrade to basically take out a loan that will be paid back with lots of interest over two years.
    Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm broke and I don't plan on leaving AT&T soon since I'm on the family plan, which is why I'm fine with renewing a contract, and getting the money upfront to help pay for the nexus 4.
    Great Googley Moogley!

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.2.2

I've purchased iPhones through AT&T's website before. I'm pretty sure they arrived un-opened, and it was up to me to activate them. Have you looked into the online option?

Ran across something interesting today. Someone I know had an ip5 mailed to them but got an email saying the nanosim would be activated automatically in 10 days. Will post if I hear more.

They are using an ip4 and didnt want to change devices until it died. I know strange, but att upgrade might be mandatory who knows.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by qreepii View Post
    Ran across something interesting today. Someone I know had an ip5 mailed to them but got an email saying the nanosim would be activated automatically in 10 days. Will post if I hear more.

They are using an ip4 and didnt want to change devices until it died. I know strange, but att upgrade might be mandatory who knows.

That's not a big problem. Knowing this, you might want to order an adapter now so that if this happens it won't be that big of an issue.

ROM
    Stock / Stock

Thanks!
    This is too funny...

Its funny to because I had almost the exact same idea and I thought nobody else was thinking like that. Here is what I came up with.

Right now, I'm on sprint and have the Galaxy S II Epic 4g Touch.
    I wanna get the Nexus 4 and I'm sick of sprint anyway.
    Since T-Mo has terrible service in my area and I cant get AT&T service without a contract I might as well order a new line of service online
    I figured that if I order online they will ship me the iphone 5 brand new and un-opened.
    I'd go to the nearest AT&T store and buy a micro sim (since the ip5 uses a nano sim)
    I'd use the sim in my nexus 4 and sell the iphone 5 for about $500

I'm just not sure if the phone would be unopened or not when they ship it from at&t.

I actually planned on going to the at&t store to ask and if they say no then i was gonna go the apple store and ask.

I really wish AT&T had a cheaper bring your own phone plan like T-Mo does... ($69 for unlimited everything)
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Thanks for all the replies guys!

It sounds like my best shot is buying the phone online and either getting AT&T to make me a new SIM, or just get an adapter for nano-micro. And that sounds like it should work pretty well.

But if my contract is under an iPhone 5, will they set up that contract for some crazy LTE prices? Is there a way to change that plan to HSPA+ after I get the Nexus 4?