Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default TEP-style Equipment Protection Plans?

My Pre, EVO and GS2 have been covered by Trudge's TEP program and [knock wood] I've never had to use them. Since the N4 comes from a store, not a carrier, what options do we have to protect our impending glass-backed babies?

I see Squaretrade has a $7/mo. plan for two years ($168) or pre-paid $125 for two years with a $99 deductible so it'd be $224 or $267 to cover a $300-$350 phone. Hmmmmm, I dunno. Thoughts anyone?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Default Re: TEP-style Equipment Protection Plans?

At $299, your best insurance plan is just buying a new one if you break the old one.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's how it looks to me, though I'd be on the hook for $350. I never buy extended warranties on stuff like TVs*, but for phones that cost $500+ to replace it's a more reasonable proposition. Looking around at what iPhone 4 repairs and parts cost, it seems better to save the insurance and simply pay the repair cost out of pocket. Why pay all that money unless you need to? It probably wouldn't cost $250 to repair unless you wanted to see if it would blend or a wallaby ate it.

* When I bought my first HDTV, I'd stumbled into an awesome deal (51" Sony RPTV for $1250, 50% off!) and while checking out, was offered a 4-year extended warranty for $400 or $450, which would've take back a third of my savings, so I passed. Almost 8 years later, the convergence circuits blew. I priced out repairs and it would've been $250-$400. I scrapped it and bought a new 60" LCD for $1250. The EW wouldn't have covered it and repairing the old set wasn't worth it. I just added a few hundred more and got something new.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

for 500+ yes, but for 299. its not worth it. make sure you dont break it.

Yikes $125 upfront for a 2 year squaretrade plan + $99 for each deductable. Hmm $224 for a refurb Nexus 4 or just get a brand new one? I say go without warranty and just throw a nice case on it.

Buy a new one, I used to send my phone for repair, I started doing my htc myself. Waiting for parts now/Waiting for Nexus 4 release. If was really expensive I am pretty sure my home insurance covers it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've had my GS2 naked for 13 months and it still looks almost new. To hide the N4's disco back would like putting (insert your favorite hot babe's name here) in a burqa. I'll just hold it tight.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I've had my GS2 naked for 13 months and it still looks almost new. To hide the N4's disco back would like putting (insert your favorite hot babe's name here) in a burqa. I'll just hold it tight.
    That's ok, I don't like other guys perving on my girlfriend or making a comment too overprotective yes. Don't worry my Misses isn't my hand, hopefully.
    But in all seriousness, I do agree the phone is beautiful and shouldn't be spoilt, a bumper at most.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm a photographer and when looking at other guy's work I frequently notice the ones who have super hot significant others posing for them. It's like it's half "check out my work" and 150% "look at what I'm knocking the bottom out of when I put the camera away." Jerks
    Fairclough likes this.