Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  • 1 Post By Enviii
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buy N4, or fix my cracked screen SG3?

I got the SG3 few months ago when it was first launched... it's been a great little device.. and i love it.. even though i wished the build quality is better... i also put CM10 on it.. and have been enjoying Jellybean no problem...

unfortunately, i dropped it from waist high, and it's cracked.... i can still see the screen alright... but aesthetically it's not good (it's cracked enough that it shows the PCB board above the button.. .but the screen is still viewable)

i got some quote.. and to fix the screen.. it's about 300-350 bucks.....

so i decided to wait and see what the N4 has in store.. and see if it's the same price as fixing my screen.... and it is!

Except there's no LTE..

i know people are arguing in this forum that LTE is not needed.. I live in SF... i remembered the first day i used the GS3 with LTE and how happy i was.. i was getting 20-30mbps... youtube load so quick that I have no problem playing it.

so it's hard for me to switch back... but i am tempted...

so if you were i.. would you
    1) just get the N4 .... and try to ignore the inner disappointment of downgrading the network speed
    2) just fix the GS3 and stay with CM10... you basically getting similar experience... JB and all... with LTE... and plastic back
    3) just save the money and use the cracked GS3.. it's been over a month already anyways... and the screen is perfectly viewable (with some hairline cracks) even though it's chipped enough to show the PCB board near the button)

thanks

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Buy N4, or fix my cracked screen SG3?

Those repair quotes sound awfully high, but maybe I'm just ignorant. If it's working and the only flaw is cosmetic, perhaps you can live with it. Since you like LTE so much and have most of the features of JB, I'd stand pat and/or fix it.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    cnguyen0320 likes this.

Can you order the parts and do it yourself?

I would say buy the Nexus4, you will have better hardware that will last longer no waiting for updates. I switched from AT&T to HSPA+ and the difference is so SLIGHT that you will not miss LTE (assuming you have HSPA+ coverage).

I cracked the glass and touch screen capacitor on my old HTC Incredible. Replacement parts were a grand total of like $14 and the operation took about an hour.

Once you disassemble your phone like that it never truly goes back to exactly the way it was before though. The touchscreen accuracy was a hair off I felt, and the phone didn't feel quite as "solid" anymore.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Fix it...I got mine fixed for about the same price. Can't tell the difference. Expensive lesson, but glad I got it done right away....If you're not going to fix it, what are you going to do with it?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

The replacement screen is around $250-300. You can probably still sell the phone with a broken screen for $300+. So it may need up being cheaper to buy the n4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

I doubt you could sell a shattered screen SGS3 for $300...then whoever buys it has to pay $300 to get it fixed...Might as well just buy a brand new one.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

There is one on ebay that's about ready to end that has a broken screen, cracked case and bad imei. With all of that wrong with it, it sold for $280.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Maybe some repairshop picked it up to salvage whatever parts they could.....who knows. Well good luck if you do sell it, and let us know what you got for it. I was actually surprised I could still use my phone.....on a scale out of 10 it was an 8-9 for severity.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

the repair quote is high because apparently the glass / screen / digitizer is all pre assembled in one unit from samsung.. so replace one replace all... that's why it's so high..

i found just the screen replacement today.. and some instruction on using a heat gun to separate out the glass from the digitizer.. i asked around in SF.. doesn't seem any repair shop is willing to do it.. and it's out of my league in terms of DIY........

it is purely cosmetic.. and i actually had this for over 2 months already.. but at the same time.. i'm tired of looking at the cracks.. even though it's cosmetic...

MMm, there should be a few, not being racist but chinese stores which do it cheaply, they void your warranty but yeah.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

I personally wouldn't spend $300 for a repair when the Nexus is not much more in price range. Each phone has it's pros/cons, but at the end, I'd rather have a new shiny Nexus then spend money like that on a repair.

Sell the SG3

Plenty of people buy cracked screen phones cheap, do the repairs themselves and flip for tidy profit.
    Also, repair shops like to buy them to cannibalize for spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by boxta View Post
    t. i asked around in SF.. doesn't seem any repair shop is willing to do it.. and it's out of my league in terms of DIY........

If you can't find a shop in SF able to replace a smartphone screen, you haven't looked very hard!

I'm in the same situation with my One X. Screen is absolutely shattered but it's only cosmetic. Phone functions fine.

Repair cost is about 100 to do myself but last I checked finding genuine parts isn't easy. Also the DIY isn't as easy because it requires replacement of the LCD and digitizer. It's all one assembly like yours.

I decided I'd just get a new phone and the Nexus 4 came to the rescue.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Buy N4, or fix my cracked screen SG3?-broken-one-x.jpg
    Fairclough likes this.

Ouch. I wish they made a fool proof glass already! Apparently the desire (old) was really great! my mate who would be 110kg of solid muscle ditched his at a wall when pissed, no damage to the screen, slight scratch on the metal... Only got a crack once he dropped it through the middle of the stairs it down 3 floors onto tiles, not on purpose. Mind you it still worked beautiful.