Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by russd1979 View Post
    Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. I have read on another forum that even with a rooted phone the GPS wouldn't turn on with Cerberus, although it may just be that one person's device. Also Cerberus sends the photo via email, which then shows up on the phone of course and can be deleted, whereas PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account.
    hmm didnt think about that with the emailing the photo i guess youd have to snag it up quick befor they delted it. the dropbox would be the way to do it. If chrisjcks is right cerberus should bring this feature in the next update. lol

... Both seem good, plus they're free. Although looking at Cerberus I can see it has way more features - the sim card checker and the take a picture/send a message options look great. I might switch now I've read up on it!
    I can attest to this ... I've gotten a few pics of myself, my car interior, after some on-the-go attempts to unlock with the incorrect PIN. The phone shows no indication at all, but then my email has a great pic of whoever was trying to unlock (me).

Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account rather than being emailed which means the thief wouldn't see email alerts coming through. Plus it seems to have some nice features and the root install seems simpler than Cerberus.
    Have Cerberus send the messages to a different mailbox than you normally use on the device. It helps if you have your own domain(s), of course.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

Sounds good. I'm a little put off PhoneLocator Pro after reading the responses on this page. Bad comments explained | PhoneLocator Pro
    I get why he is defensive, because he has worked hard and people might spend a few minutes with the app and then rate it badly, but his tone doesn't come across as terribly professional.

Cerberus looks like the one I'll try - and as ChromeJob suggests, I'll set it to email another account. My only concern is how easy it is to get the root features working after I root the phone. Hopefully its not too hard

can cerberus or any of the others disable a "factory reset"?

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamesey10 View Post
    can cerberus or any of the others disable a "factory reset"?
    Why would you want to disable a factory reset?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

I think what jamesey10 means... can it survive a factory reset. Apparently it can if its installed on a rooted phone and in the right way... not entirely sure how its done though.

Quote Originally Posted by raazman View Post

b/c they wernt onthe phone from the factory

Global Posts
    6,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Louisville Slugger Gifts - Full Size - Personalized Bat $50......and as an added bonus, you can play baseball with it!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

The first thing a phone thief would try to do is go into factory settings and try to run a "factory reset." This resets the phone to the state you bought it in, except with whatever version of Android you had. All apps, photos, videos, files, and files that didnt come with the phone get erased. So if Cerebrus (or any of the apps) can do that, I'd like that feature.

I bring this up because my tablet (asus transformer prime) was stolen in europe last month. It was the one time I brought it outside my home, and I had never used a locksreen with it. I did have lookout installed, but by the time I could get to a computer and track it, the theif had done a factory reset and wiped all the apps off it. Of course I've learned my lesson. Always have a lock screen. That would have given me a fighting chance.

As great as all these softwares sound, if someone, somewhat intelligent steals your phone you're still the big loser.
    Google seriously needs to work on this, it's something that needs to come standard with Android and coupled with the serial number and all the other fancy hardcoded stuff of the phone, that way a stupid theft will never feel safe.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

If your rooted Cerberus would be your best bet. It works even after a factory reset or if the thief flashes a new ROM.

It does cost money however, but I think its a one time fee.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Here are some pics for you to compare.

Enjoy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Maybe a few too many images aha.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

I have been looking on the Cerberus and PLP websites about installing it as a system app on a rooted device.

Cerberus
    If you have rooted your device you can integrate Cerberus into your ROM and get two additional features: complete uninstall protection (Cerberus will even survive a wipe/factory reset) and GPS auto-enabling even on Android 2.3.3 and later. To have these features uninstall Cerberus, then download cerberus.zip, put it on the sd card and install it from recovery. Cerberus is also available on ROM Manager.
    https://www.cerberusapp.com/help.php
    But I was just going to root the phone and keep the stock recovery so the phone can update as normal. PLP says you can do it like this:

PhoneLocator Pro
    PhoneLocator Pro must be installed as system application, in order to auto enable GPS
    Move the com.rvo.plpro-1.apk from /data/app, to system/app with an app like Root Explorer.
    Restart your device. Done !
    Help | PhoneLocator Pro
    PLP seems simpler to me. Does anyone use either of these on a rooted device? If so, how easy is it to install it as a system app. Also, when it updates do you need to manually update the root version?
    Last edited by russd1979; 11-11-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Is there one with auto gps enable without rooting?
    Tom Fairclough

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Is there one with auto gps enable without rooting?
    Cerberus does not need gps enabled to track your phone.

No it doesn't need GPS... but it won't survive a factory reset unless its installed as a system app on a rooted phone.

Ok because the ones I had before tracked it to within 70m without GPS just off the phone being on. One good thing about htc sense apparently it had remote tracking pre built in.
    Tom Fairclough

1. Thief steals phone.
    2. Thief resets phone.
    3. Anti theft app gone.

Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    1. Thief steals phone.
    2. Thief resets phone.
    3. Anti theft app gone.

Cerberus can be installed as an embedded app so even on a reset, Cerberus still runs.

Cerberus can be installed as an embedded app so even on a reset, Cerberus still runs.
    Only on rooted phones

But that requires root, n'est-ce pas? I was explaining that on a non-rooted, stock phone with Cerberus installed, the thief could reset the phone and Cerberus is out of the picture.

But for some of us, the loss of data (uncontrolled disclosure) is more significant than the lost of the device. If they flash the device and wipe data, it's just an insurance issue. For this reason I'm rather happier having a handset without microSDHC card.

I would say Cerberus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I think that there is a simple solution. A general feature that requires you to login to your Gmail account whenever you want to do a factory reset. This way it would not be possible for someone to do a factory reset.

The only issue is that there would need to be an option if you forgot your password. You would need to have a second email account either via Gmail or Hotmail that was not active on your phone. That way if you needed to do a password reset it could be sent to the secondary account. I know Gmail and Hotmail work this way if you forget your password.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    russd1979 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    And we come almost full circle...

"Like full device backup, lost phone tracking/security needs to be built into the core of Android. Until it is, it will only allow you to recover your phone from idiots."
    Okay I put Android lost onto my un-rooted transformer Prime and I was able to locate it via gps without rooting. I just sent the command and it sent me the location in Google maps.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast