Nexus 4 + wind mobile

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My gf have a Nexus S(yes I know its old) on Wind Mobile here in Canada, I was hoping that the Nexus 4 will work on the same network.

From Wind Mobile Site:
"The WIND Mobile network uses a frequency called AWS, with bands 1700/2100."

Can someone please confirm?

Thank You

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4, just like the Galaxy Nexus, has the appropriate bands to work on any GSM network in the world.

In fact, Wind uses the same frequencies as T-Mobile USA in the states, which is selling the device directly, if you needed even more confirmation.

A quick look at the Play Store specs page would give you the confirmation as well ;) .

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 4, just like the Galaxy Nexus, has the appropriate bands to work on any GSM network in the world.

In fact, Wind uses the same frequencies as T-Mobile USA in the states, which is selling the device directly, if you needed even more confirmation.

A quick look at the Play Store specs page would give you the confirmation as well ;) .

Thank You Andrew I appricate the information.

Now will it work on Bell network because i may want to take it for a few weeks first.

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My gf have a Nexus S(yes I know its old) on Wind Mobile here in Canada, I was hoping that the Nexus 4 will work on the same network.

From Wind Mobile Site:
"The WIND Mobile network uses a frequency called AWS, with bands 1700/2100."

Can someone please confirm?

Thank You

You eyeing those wind mobile holiday plans too eh?

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You eyeing those wind mobile holiday plans too eh?

She is already on Wind Mobile.. $40 unlimited talk, text and data... but their coverage sucks

Samsung M100 Uproar > Samsung X480 > Siemens SK65 > BlackBerry 7100T > BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip > Palm Pre > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S 2 > Samsung Galaxy S 3

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh my bad. Wind has some very attractive plans atm but I need Canadawide roaming. I was on virgin with that and its awesome but recently just moved to SpeakOut (7eleven) and giving that a go. Waiting for the N4 to test data.

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh my bad. Wind has some very attractive plans atm but I need Canadawide roaming. I was on virgin with that and its awesome but recently just moved to SpeakOut (7eleven) and giving that a go. Waiting for the N4 to test data.

Never hear of speak out ... she gets North American talk and nationwide data.. however the coverage is spotty

Samsung M100 Uproar > Samsung X480 > Siemens SK65 > BlackBerry 7100T > BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip > Palm Pre > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S 2 > Samsung Galaxy S 3

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

It makes no sense to be on SpeakOut unless you need a phone number with an area code not covered by Wind. Even if you're roaming on Rogers the whole time, you pay less with Wind's Pay Your Way plan than on SpeakOut.

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Never hear of speak out ... she gets North American talk and nationwide data.. however the coverage is spotty

I haven't tested speak-out's coverage quality yet outside of the GTA and probably wont before i get the N4.

It makes no sense to be on SpeakOut unless you need a phone number with an area code not covered by Wind. Even if you're roaming on Rogers the whole time, you pay less with Wind's Pay Your Way plan than on SpeakOut.

Positive speak out does not have roaming charges. ATM I pay 35$ a month for 200 minutes (5$ more gets you 300 minutes) unlimited txt and data (data is limited to 2 gigs, they will kick you off the network if you hit this.) Canada Long Distance | Local Calling | Caller ID | Voicemail | Call Waiting | 3-Way Calling https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

Wind has 15 cent txts and 20 cents a minute when you leave the coverage area. Rather not pay any extras as txting can add up pretty quickly. WIND Mobile | Stores & Coverage

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Bell and Telus aren't traditional GSM networks. They're CDMA/UMTS. That said, the UMTS part covers it, but if someone isn't up to date, they could reasonably consider Bell to be a CDMA network, and therefore your answer wouldn't actually cover it.

Their CDMA network is legacy. You can take any GSM phone to Bell and Telus and it'll work just fine, as they have a full GSM network. For all intents and purposes they can be considered a GSM carrier. Just because someone isn't up-to-date on the network technology Bell/Telus use doesn't mean my answer is wrong ;) .

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Their CDMA network is legacy. You can take any GSM phone to Bell and Telus and it'll work just fine, as they have a full GSM network. For all intents and purposes they can be considered a GSM carrier. Just because someone isn't up-to-date on the network technology Bell/Telus use doesn't mean my answer is wrong ;) .

No, you can't take any GSM phone. I have several GSM phones that won't work on Bell or Telus because they don't support the right UMTS frequencies, and don't support any 2G GSM frequencies.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tested speak-out's coverage quality yet outside of the GTA and probably wont before i get the N4.

SpeakOut uses Rogers, it's the same as Rogers.

Positive speak out does not have roaming charges. ATM I pay 35$ a month for 200 minutes (5$ more gets you 300 minutes) unlimited txt and data (data is limited to 2 gigs, they will kick you off the network if you hit this.) Canada Long Distance | Local Calling | Caller ID | Voicemail | Call Waiting | 3-Way Calling https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

Wind has 15 cent txts and 20 cents a minute when you leave the coverage area. Rather not pay any extras as txting can add up pretty quickly. WIND Mobile | Stores & Coverage

Speakout charges you 25 cents a minute and another 20 on top of that for long distance calls. Wind's roaming rate is cheaper than SpeakOut's regular rate. If you're making use of a larger bucket of minutes, there's a good chance that one of the other carriers will offer a better deal (most likely Koodo).

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
No, you can't take any GSM phone. I have several GSM phones that won't work on Bell or Telus because they don't support the right UMTS frequencies, and don't support any 2G GSM frequencies.

They run on the same bands as nearly every phone has, save for those made specifically for T-Mobile USA or Wind.

My point still stands. You don't need a special device to be on their networks that has CDMA and GSM. A GSM handset will suffice.

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Speakout charges you 25 cents a minute and another 20 on top of that for long distance calls. Wind's roaming rate is cheaper than SpeakOut's regular rate. If you're making use of a larger bucket of minutes, there's a good chance that one of the other carriers will offer a better deal (most likely Koodo).

Straight from the speakout website. "ROAMING: ?Roaming? occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming most often occurs when you make and receive calls outside the home calling area. Your 7-Eleven SpeakOut Wireless phone will not roam. An indicator light on your phone may display the word ?Roam,? ?RM? or NO SERVICE on the screen while the phone is not in its home calling area.

International Roaming is strictly prohibited. We do not offer international roaming. You will not be able to make or receive calls on your 7-Eleven SpeakOut Wireless phone if you are traveling outside of the Canada. Inside Canada, you will be able to receive and make international calls." http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/terms"

Also on the value plans Canada Long Distance is included in your minutes. One bit I just noticed when checking my balance, an incoming call still deducts minutes from your account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci