Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how does it work with windows?

I read some things about the gnex not working well with windows.you had to find and install additional drivers just to transfer music and files? Is that true and if so, do you have to do that with the 4? With my triumph,I can't wait until I don't have to say that any more, you just plug it in and it's all good.

Edit: what files will I need to unlock it? I already have fastboot for windows. are there any drivers I need to get? I want to be ready when it comes so I can do it before I start putting stuff on there.
    Last edited by corance; 11-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: how does it work with windows?

Guess no one knows

Well the first thing you would want is the Android Debug Bridge which you can get by downloading the Android SDK.

Regarding drivers, that would be something you will need to wait until it's released to know for sure. Perhaps it uses generic LG USB drivers, perhaps it won't. Windows isn't known for true plug and play with Android devices.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Nice, so where can I get the Android sdk? On the Motorola triumph I just had to replace an image file and install cwm so this is new to me. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Nice, so where can I get the Android sdk? On the Motorola triumph I just had to replace an image file and install cwm so this is new to me. Thanks for the help.
    Ya know, if you type in android sdk into google , it's the first link ;-) : Android SDK | Android Developers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Oh ok...I didn't know if there was one specific to the phone or the version or race...remember, you had questions at one time too.

Oh ok...I didn't know if there was one specific to the phone or the version or race...remember, you had questions at one time too.
    Nope, the first thing I did after I was born was root one of these:
    Attachment 45606
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

See you were born to help others. Today your life is complete!

See you were born to help others. Today your life is complete!
    It won't be complete until November 13th.
    I've got firefox with the reloadevery add-on ready to go

You'll need ADB drivers, Fastboot drivers, and the up-to-date ADB/Fastboot files when the SDK is updated after the Nexus 4 launches to unlock it.

People have issues on windows because drivers can just be finicky. Not necessarily a Nexus problem, more of a Windows problem.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Oh that makes sense. So I have the fastboot and sdk. Now all I need is adb and a nexus. Thanks for the help.

Oh that makes sense. So I have the fastboot and sdk. Now all I need is adb and a nexus. Thanks for the help.
    Well if you have the full SDK installed you have ADB also

And for future reference, you don't need the whole SDK if all you intend to do is use ADB and Fastboot to unlock, root or flash ROMs. You just need the ADB and Fastboot files, which are trivially small. They'll be up for download right after the SDK is updated with the latest ones. No need to waste your time (and HDD) space installing the whole SDK for that.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Ok thanks for the info.

Try wondershare mobile, it installs all you needs... it even supports mobiles exclusive to China etc. (like miniature companies)