Will Jelly Bean 4.2 be as slick as Windows Phone 8?

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I find the WP8 interface to be a lot better an both iOS and android , its much smoother, more stable, and just plain beautiful. However because wp8 cannot install swype and the N4 is a lot cheaper I'm leaning towards the N4. Do you think going forward android will get closer to the good aspects of wp8, that is stability, lack of lag, smoothness etc?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well i don't know if you ever used JB, but they clean up the pipes in UI rendering (aka "Project Butter") there which should make UI more smooth

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
My honest opinion is that I will take community over slight performance increases. The questions you would need to answer (I am not interested in a Win8 phone so I did not do the research) is: Will there be third party developers heavily invested in this phone, and how many high quality useful apps are available for use?

I speak from experience, back when android was still in its infant stages. I purchased the very first single-core 1ghz snapdragon phone that came out to the market. It had Windows 6.1 OS. Yes that OS is beyond terrible, but the biggest issue for me was the lack of community for the phone. There literally was only one person who knew how to cook custom Roms, and there was less than a handful of apps that worked. Basically what I'm saying, is even though that phone was the fastest thing on the market at the time, it was probably the worst decision I have ever made phone wise.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Considering JB 4.1 brought in Project Butter's polish for smoothness, there shouldn't be any lag problems. (Go check a Nexus 7 to see what pure JB - as in unskinned and mucked up by manufacturers - feels like.)

Stability? I'm sorry, are there phones crashing for some reason or is the "bad app = bad OS" things? :confused:

As for beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. If you like the big 2D squares of Metro, then that's what you want. Remember that you can probably get a launcher theme for Android that mimics the look of Metro, but there is nothing you can do to iOS or WP8 to make them look like anything else.

When I picked up a cheap used iPad, my initial reaction was shock because what Apple decreed was what I had to accept and that meant a home screen packed with icons and no widgets. Gah!

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, snaqvi. W8 and wp8 are both beautiful mobile operating systems, and a lot more dynamic and 'futuristic' than Android or iOS. But personally, I'm going to wait it out a year until there are more apps and a better tablet offering going on.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, snaqvi. W8 and wp8 are both beautiful mobile operating systems, and a lot more dynamic and 'futuristic' than Android or iOS. But personally, I'm going to wait it out a year until there are more apps and a better tablet offering going on.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I'm so intrigued by the lumia 920 but the app selection makes me hold back ill wait a year and see the app selection

Sent from my PC36100

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
There was a big step up in smoothness in Jelly Bean 4.1. Nothing more substantial coming in 4.2 on the Nexus 4 other than the N4's great hardware specs.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Wp8 is smooth but its not as open and tha home screen is horrible I hate those lil blocks all ova tha place but if smoothness is tha only selling point for u then wp8 fa u

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If the Nexus 4 wasn't $350, WP8 would probably be my next device. Before the N4 announcement, I was thinking about purchasing the Galaxy Nexus, then getting a WP8 when my contract is up. Now, though, I'm just going to get the N4, then switch to a prepaid service when my contract is up.

If MS were ever able to offer a WP8 comparable to the Nexus 4 in terms of quality AND price, then I'd be willing to invest in a second phone. I know I like Android and I'll probably like WP8, but I don't know if I'd prefer it over Android. WP8 looks so nice, though. I wish someone with the talent could make a quality WP8 launcher or ROM.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I do have a Nexus 7 in fact that's what I'm replying from lol. It does actually stutter here and there but maybe its just my device. I saw my friends Lumia 900 which is WP7.5 and it was simply stunning and really smooth. You would have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

I'm actually considering the wp8 or n4 as a combo with my n7. I'm open to the wp8 because I have a n7 for apps and battery intensive tasks. Maybe the n4 might be too much of an overlap with my n7 and getting the wp8 would give me the best of both worlds.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I do have a Nexus 7 in fact that's what I'm replying from lol. It does actually stutter here and there but maybe its just my device. I saw my friends Lumia 900 which is WP7.5 and it was simply stunning and really smooth. You would have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

I'm actually considering the wp8 or n4 as a combo with my n7. I'm open to the wp8 because I have a n7 for apps and battery intensive tasks. Maybe the n4 might be too much of an overlap with my n7 and getting the wp8 would give me the best of both worlds.

I really want the note 2 but that lumia 920 is a steal at 99$ even the off contract price is good 450$ and I plan on getting the nexus 10 I have a lot of thinking to do

Sent from my PC36100

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I really want the note 2 but that lumia 920 is a steal at 99$ even the off contract price is good 450$ and I plan on getting the nexus 10 I have a lot of thinking to do

Sent from my PC36100

Let me know what you decide and why, it might help me decide what to get.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem for me with WP8 is that while its very slick and pretty, live tiles are essentially useless. Can't compete in any way with our widgets in terms of how much information they can display. Its kind of a middle ground between iOS and android.

As for apps, it should get a lot better with the release of windows 8 RT, but I can't see it competing for at least another year. If you want to try WP8, best you see if all the apps you truly need are available first.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
With the hardware now being released on android phones as well as the release of jelly bean the smoothness of android is really nice. The stability of android has also always been great for me. The things that crash are usually an app that hasn't been updated or has been updated but it introduced a bug. That is a pretty rare thing but does happen. Basically you get a message saying something crashed and then you hit an ok button and thats that. That can happen on any platform though.

As for the look of stock android from google I personally think its a lot better than the metro theme even though I really do like the look of WP8. If you don't like the look of stock android 4.2 than the great thing about android is you can totally change its look. It will take you some effort but you can do all sorts of things to change the look of android and how things feel. You can use google play for most of this.

I also linked this video so you can see how smooth N4 is and what different parts of the OS looks like so you can see if it works for you or not. This was a video that slashgear posted showing off the device.

Nexus 4 and Android Jelly Beans 4.2 hands-on - YouTube

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I find the WP8 interface to be a lot better an both iOS and android , its much smoother, more stable, and just plain beautiful. However because wp8 cannot install swype and the N4 is a lot cheaper I'm leaning towards the N4. Do you think going forward android will get closer to the good aspects of wp8, that is stability, lack of lag, smoothness etc?

Nah, my guess is Google will go backwards and make things less stable from here on out.

I don't see anything nice or special about WP, looks to me like they took ios and Android and shoved it in a blender and that's what it spit out.

Android is far more advanced and superior to current WP, you should be asking if WP will catch up to Android.

It's fine if you like the look of WP, go with that. But Android is perfectly stable and can completely mimic the look of that phone should you ever want it to.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I wondering if it possible to import Windows 8 PC software e.g just general stuff i use on W7 to W8 mobile. I think it would be a no as it wasn't possible on my old old Samsung Omni i900 which used I think Windows 6 for mobile?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa