If the Nexus 4 had T-Mobile WiFi Calling, I'd buy it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe I recognize these topics as being from a generic Android support FAQ template they use for a number of phones. The probably just haven't updated it yet.

Not to deride every TM support rep, but they have some dumb bunnies who think step two in troubleshooting any and every issue is "let's do a factory reset." Step three is "Oh, have you installed any apps, including updating the factory installed apps? All bets are off, it's probably software causing $ISSUE."

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Outgoing calls is just the reverse. You're taking any phone and making the outgoing call look like its coming from your GV number. The same applies though, it's using the regular cell voice network and using minutes, it's not VOIP.

Ok, thanks. I tried it [Google Voice] on my cellular network and noticed the outgoing call was dialing some 9xx-area code number instead of the number I selected, I'll assume that was part of the routing via Google Voice from my cell network you're talking about or should I see the number I actually selected to dial? I immediately stopped the GV call and called again without GV and saw the regular number outgoing.

Thanks for your time, AM!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks. I tried it [Google Voice] on my cellular network and noticed the outgoing call was dialing some 9xx-area code number instead of the number I selected, I'll assume that was part of the routing via Google Voice from my cell network you're talking about or should I see the number I actually selected to dial? I immediately stopped the GV call and called again without GV and saw the regular number outgoing.

Thanks for your time, AM!

Yes, that is correct. The # you're seeing is a "random" one that's being used as a "middle man" to route the call. The caller on the other end sees your GV# in the caller ID.

xhausted

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
People are complaining bout the Nexus 4 like its the only phone on the market. First and foremost please understand that the Nexus Project is Google's baby! They will not let any company determine what hardware and software goes on the phone. The updates for the Nexus are pushed by Google. You will never wait months for updates. The Verizon disaster from last year with the Galaxy Nexus cost Google a lot if money and it wasnt actually a Nexus after Verizon slapped there logo on it and bloatware.
I want a Nexus 4 (screen size, CPU, no bloatware), but I also want:

- T-Mobile WiFi Calling (this is essential for being able to use the phone in my house)
- Removable battery (I need a spare and I don't want to deal with an external battery pack)
- MicroSD slot (It's insane to have to pay up-front for the memory in the phone. I want to be able to add memory later when it's cheaper)

I wish HTC would build this phone. I've bought HTC phones for years and I really like HTC's attitude. They are developer friendly. I like HTC Sense.

I hate Samsung. They are too slow with updates. They don't respect developers. Their add-on apps are horrible.

John

xhausted

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
There will not be Tmo wifi calling on the Nexus. That is considered bloatware therefore This wouldnt be a Nexus.
Im confused, the doc's online from T-mobile, in the key feature,s under conectivity states; Wi-Fi calling.
So is someone saying T-mob will be turning that off ?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't have Wifi Calling. T-Mobile has the exact same support documentation for every phone, and they simply replace the model name in them for each device. They just never pulled the Wifi Calling doc from the Nexus 4 page.

Remember when everyone was sooooo sure that the T-Mobile version was HSPA+ 42 and the Play Store was HSPA+ 21? ....

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd like the ability for wifi calling, but it isnt a deal breaker. Besides, whenever my friend uses wifi calling i notice it (on my side everything is repeated) and it seems pretty bad. Stll good if i'm running low on minutes.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Long time Android ROM developer Peter Alfonso, who happens to work at T-Mobile, has the Nexus 4 in hand and has confirmed there is no WiFi calling.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 10.44.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 10.44.57 AM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 111

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When the carrier pre-installs it on your phone, then it's bloatware ;)

More to the point, if the carrier needs to install it as part of the operating system (as opposed to an app which could technically be made optional), it's going to bung up the whole point of the Nexus 4 being a Nexus device. And this is directly in the call receiving subsystem, which means firmware changes.

If the T-Mo version of the Nexus 4 provided WiFi calling, then the T-Mo version would have to have different firmware from the GSM version. That means T-Mo would have to get involved to re-bake that WiFi handoff (which is not part of the GSM standard) into each firmware version. Unless T-Mo is willing to commit to doing this in a VERY timely fashion every couple of months when Google drops a new dot release, this will be the Verizon Galaxy "Nexus" all over again.

I would not be at all surprised to see LG make this phone using almost exactly the same hardware but with radio and/or firmware modifications to handle Verizon and Sprint's separate implementations of CDMA, various carriers' different implementations of LTE, and T-Mo's implementation of WiFi calling. They might even add an SD slot and a few other non-Nexus-y things.

It just wouldn't be sponsored by Google, and wouldn't have the "Nexus" expectations or name. But it'd still be a badass phone.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have Wifi Calling. T-Mobile has the exact same support documentation for every phone, and they simply replace the model name in them for each device. They just never pulled the Wifi Calling doc from the Nexus 4 page.

Remember when everyone was sooooo sure that the T-Mobile version was HSPA+ 42 and the Play Store was HSPA+ 21? ....

"Looks" key word....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
"Looks" key word....

T-Mobile inadvertently caused a bit of a tempest in a teapot by mistakenly leaving the WiFi calling section in their support document for the N4. Mistakes happen. They've since corrected the error, and the outlets that broke the story are slowly getting corrections out.

The article you originally posted from Androidcommunity has been corrected and now states that it will not support WiFi calling.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP that the Wifi feature is essential in some cases. or , at the very least, essentially-desirable. Wish I could remember the name of the little company that developed the app and its components but they did a spectacular job. unless you're REALLY in need of the t-mo WIFI calling feature, you don't realize how slick it is, properly implemented on a good device. it is seamless, transparent, and high quality. there is nothing I've come across in custom ROM-ville that even pretends to be able to replicate the values. google voice et al are awful by comparison unless something totally new has hit the app market VERY recently.
thankfully, there are lots of clean s2's out there on ebay.... and other good choices - why not go all-out and get the Note II ?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
there is nothing I've come across in custom ROM-ville that even pretends to be able to replicate the values.

Nor shall there ever be without the intervention of a carrier, because it takes a lot of both client- and server-side work to take a data call and seamlessly hand it over to the voice circuit, then hand it back.

When VoLTE becomes the standard, there may yet be carriers smart enough to simply do all of their voice over pure data connections, which would mean the packet serving could switch seamlessly to WiFi the instant a background service determines that the available WiFi connection is of sufficient quality to support it, and back when the WiFi connection degrades.

I strongly suspect this will be adopted as a standard at some point, as will LTE itself, and won't be a carrier-specific and carrier-dependent implementation.

Until that time, if you want WiFi calling, you need a phone customized for T-Mobile's implementation, or (as you say) you need to put up with clumsy VoIP clients that will use data all the time, and a nearly impossible handoff between a WiFi connection and a cellular one.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
When the carrier pre-installs it on your phone, then it's bloatware ;)
That's arguable, not historically inaccurate. Apps that execute an advertised function, that aren't part of the AOSP build, aren't IMHO bloatware. E.g. the code that allows the phone to access a MicroSDHC card in the device, or Visual Voicemail that integrates with the carriers voicemail system.

NASCAR apps, and 411 & More, and NameID, MobileTV, Watch, apps that don't do anything I need on the phone, some that even require additional fees to use them, now THAT'S BLOATWARE. (Three cheers for ICS' ability to disable apps!)

The term is not consistently applied; it is often used as a pejorative by end users to describe undesired user interface changes even if those changes had little or no effect on the hardware requirements. ... The term bloatware is also applied to preinstalled software on a device, usually by the hardware manufacturer [or carrier], that is unwanted.

Software bloat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Software that provides minimal functionality while requiring a disproportionate amount of diskspace and memory.

bloatware - The Jargon File

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
IF the phone had gotten tmobile branded wifi calling everyone would be complaining about bloatware and it not being a "True" Nexus device, make up your mind people.
Want bloatware OR don't want bloatware jesus christ

dcacklam

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
1) There are no alternatives.
WiFi calling is not a 'VoIP Client', it is cell-service-over-WiFi.

The purpose of WiFi calling is to have cell-service at home, if you live in a dead zone, not to 'save minutes' (who even HAS a minute-plan with a smartphone?)

The various SIP & Google Voice hacks do not allow you to utilize your mobile number, nor do they allow you to get SMS & MMS that were sent to your mobile number. Further Google-Voice & number-porting hacks do not provide MMS, nor do they work as reliably as direct-dialing the phone...

2) It's not bloatware per-se, nor does it need to be 'integrated to the operating system' in terms of a different kernel or RIL. This is not the old Kineto-based system, the Movial (IMS) WFC is just a bunch of apps & libraries.

3) The reason so many folks want it on a Nexus device, is because every implementation of this app so-far is done in Sense or Touchwiz, and solely for dialog-box-display reasons...

A 'clean' WiFi calling app would allow us to make it work on all the CM builds, which is not doable right now simply due to the stupid proprietary dialog-box calls in the existing implementations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22