If the Nexus 4 had T-Mobile WiFi Calling, I'd buy it.

jsrober

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I want a Nexus 4 (screen size, CPU, no bloatware), but I also want:

- T-Mobile WiFi Calling (this is essential for being able to use the phone in my house)
- Removable battery (I need a spare and I don't want to deal with an external battery pack)
- MicroSD slot (It's insane to have to pay up-front for the memory in the phone. I want to be able to add memory later when it's cheaper)

I wish HTC would build this phone. I've bought HTC phones for years and I really like HTC's attitude. They are developer friendly. I like HTC Sense.

I hate Samsung. They are too slow with updates. They don't respect developers. Their add-on apps are horrible.

John

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

- T-Mobile WiFi Calling (this is essential for being able to use the phone in my house)
- Removable battery (I need a spare and I don't want to deal with an external battery pack)
- MicroSD slot (It's insane to have to pay up-front for the memory in the phone. I want to be able to add memory later when it's cheaper)

Well T-Mobile Wifi Calling will only come on T-Mobile branded phones, which will also have the bloatware you don't like. A Nexus will also never have an SDcard slot.

I wish HTC would build this phone. I've bought HTC phones for years and I really like HTC's attitude. They are developer friendly. I like HTC Sense.

You do realize that if HTC made the phone, it'd likely also have a sealed battery, no expandable storage, and no Wifi Calling, right? If Google wants those things, the manufacturer will make it to Google's specifications.

Not to mention that if HTC made this phone it wouldn't have Sense. If you like Sense, buy an HTC Sense phone :p .

And if it's a Nexus, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer's stance is on developers. Google takes the reins there no matter who actually manufactures the phone.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

I hate Samsung. They are too slow with updates. They don't respect developers. Their add-on apps are horrible.

John

Funny, ive never used wi-fi callng once...ever! Just interesting to see what are pet peeves for people. Mine for this phone is a lack of 32GB memory.

And it is the carriers that make the updates take too long. Sprint has already released Jelly Bean for their GS3 people. And HTC phones are ok but their battery's always suck.

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
There are ten thousand alternatives for wifi calling via google voice but i think the op is trolling since he obviously is contradicting himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jsrober

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
There are ten thousand alternatives for wifi calling via google voice but i think the op is trolling since he obviously is contradicting himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm not trolling. Are you saying that I can use Google Voice instead of WiFi calling? If so, you're wrong. Google Voice uses the cell network for voice. WiFi calling uses a WiFi network. Right?

John

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trolling. Are you saying that I can use Google Voice instead of WiFi calling? If so, you're wrong. Google Voice uses the cell network for voice. WiFi calling uses a WiFi network. Right?

John

The guide below (which I'm using this week when I get mine, btw) includes a wealth of info for setting up Voip / wifi calling. Give it a look..
[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

Also lets not have name-calling.. OP was just expressing his opinion/concerns :)

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
What does hating Samsung have to do with hating the Nexus 4?
secondly, the phone is already cheap so don't be cheap and claim your hating having to pay for "extra" memory up front.
Thirdly. I like HTC sense too but you must admit its a nice phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
XDA got WiFi calling working on the Nexus One. Cross your fingers for the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

And it never came to the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus. So I wouldn't count on it.

Google voice uses data, right?

No, Google Voice is a call forwarding service. All GV does is take calls and forwards them to certain phones according to your settings. It uses your minutes unless you use some 3rd party VOIP solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
And it never came to the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus. So I wouldn't count on it.

No, Google Voice is a call forwarding service. All GV does is take calls and forwards them to certain phones according to your settings. It uses your minutes unless you use some 3rd party VOIP solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

T-Mobile changed the way WiFi calling is implemented since the Galaxy Nexus was released. Hopefully someone is up to the challenge of getting it working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Use the free app on google play called groove ip lite. That does wi fi calling just like tmobile wi fi calling (free calls in US and canada over your wifi). If you spring for the full paid app it can do those free calls over your cell data as well.

I have a tmobile G2 and have used both groove ip and tmobile's wifi calling. Both work great.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Use the free app on google play called groove ip lite. That does wi fi calling just like tmobile wi fi calling (free calls in US and canada over your wifi). If you spring for the full paid app it can do those free calls over your cell data as well.

I have a tmobile G2 and have used both groove ip and tmobile's wifi calling. Both work great.

They are definitely not the same. The quality on UMA (Wifi Calling) is much much higher and more consistent than GrooVe IP, Talkatone or other OTT VOIP solutions that use Google Talk.

They're both technically "Wifi Calling", but the similarities stop there.

Last edited:

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand that the tech is different but as far as my personal experience using both to make calls from the locations I usually make wifi calls the quality and the experience was basically the same.

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Im confused, the doc's online from T-mobile, in the key feature,s under conectivity states; Wi-Fi calling.
So is someone saying T-mob will be turning that off ?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Im confused, the doc's online from T-mobile, in the key feature,s under conectivity states; Wi-Fi calling.
So is someone saying T-mob will be turning that off ?

I believe it was TmoNews that confirmed directly w/ T-Mobile that Wifi Calling won't be loaded on the device. T-Mobile has to make a special app for each phone to have Wifi Calling, so possibly they've decided it isn't worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish