Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default If the Nexus 4 had T-Mobile WiFi Calling, I'd buy it.

I want a Nexus 4 (screen size, CPU, no bloatware), but I also want:

- T-Mobile WiFi Calling (this is essential for being able to use the phone in my house)
    - Removable battery (I need a spare and I don't want to deal with an external battery pack)
    - MicroSD slot (It's insane to have to pay up-front for the memory in the phone. I want to be able to add memory later when it's cheaper)

I wish HTC would build this phone. I've bought HTC phones for years and I really like HTC's attitude. They are developer friendly. I like HTC Sense.

I hate Samsung. They are too slow with updates. They don't respect developers. Their add-on apps are horrible.

John

Default Re: If the Nexus 4 had T-Mobile WiFi Calling, I'd buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrober View Post

- T-Mobile WiFi Calling (this is essential for being able to use the phone in my house)
    - Removable battery (I need a spare and I don't want to deal with an external battery pack)
    - MicroSD slot (It's insane to have to pay up-front for the memory in the phone. I want to be able to add memory later when it's cheaper)
    Well T-Mobile Wifi Calling will only come on T-Mobile branded phones, which will also have the bloatware you don't like. A Nexus will also never have an SDcard slot.

I wish HTC would build this phone. I've bought HTC phones for years and I really like HTC's attitude. They are developer friendly. I like HTC Sense.
    You do realize that if HTC made the phone, it'd likely also have a sealed battery, no expandable storage, and no Wifi Calling, right? If Google wants those things, the manufacturer will make it to Google's specifications.

Not to mention that if HTC made this phone it wouldn't have Sense. If you like Sense, buy an HTC Sense phone .

And if it's a Nexus, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer's stance is on developers. Google takes the reins there no matter who actually manufactures the phone.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by 5:
    yfan, 2defmouze, MERCDROID and 2 others like this.

I hate Samsung. They are too slow with updates. They don't respect developers. Their add-on apps are horrible.

John
    Funny, ive never used wi-fi callng once...ever! Just interesting to see what are pet peeves for people. Mine for this phone is a lack of 32GB memory.

And it is the carriers that make the updates take too long. Sprint has already released Jelly Bean for their GS3 people. And HTC phones are ok but their battery's always suck.

There are ten thousand alternatives for wifi calling via google voice but i think the op is trolling since he obviously is contradicting himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by qreepii View Post
    There are ten thousand alternatives for wifi calling via google voice but i think the op is trolling since he obviously is contradicting himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I'm not trolling. Are you saying that I can use Google Voice instead of WiFi calling? If so, you're wrong. Google Voice uses the cell network for voice. WiFi calling uses a WiFi network. Right?

John

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I'm not trolling. Are you saying that I can use Google Voice instead of WiFi calling? If so, you're wrong. Google Voice uses the cell network for voice. WiFi calling uses a WiFi network. Right?

John
    The guide below (which I'm using this week when I get mine, btw) includes a wealth of info for setting up Voip / wifi calling. Give it a look..
    [GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

Also lets not have name-calling.. OP was just expressing his opinion/concerns

XDA got WiFi calling working on the Nexus One. Cross your fingers for the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Google voice uses data, right?

What does hating Samsung have to do with hating the Nexus 4?
    secondly, the phone is already cheap so don't be cheap and claim your hating having to pay for "extra" memory up front.
    Thirdly. I like HTC sense too but you must admit its a nice phone.
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 11-11-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Thanked by:
    yfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    XDA got WiFi calling working on the Nexus One. Cross your fingers for the Nexus 4.

And it never came to the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus. So I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Google voice uses data, right?
    No, Google Voice is a call forwarding service. All GV does is take calls and forwards them to certain phones according to your settings. It uses your minutes unless you use some 3rd party VOIP solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    And it never came to the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus. So I wouldn't count on it.

No, Google Voice is a call forwarding service. All GV does is take calls and forwards them to certain phones according to your settings. It uses your minutes unless you use some 3rd party VOIP solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    T-Mobile changed the way WiFi calling is implemented since the Galaxy Nexus was released. Hopefully someone is up to the challenge of getting it working.

I don't quite get how that applies to outgoing calls.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    I don't quite get how that applies to outgoing calls.
    Outgoing calls is just the reverse. You're taking any phone and making the outgoing call look like its coming from your GV number. The same applies though, it's using the regular cell voice network and using minutes, it's not VOIP.
    Thanked by 2:

Use the free app on google play called groove ip lite. That does wi fi calling just like tmobile wi fi calling (free calls in US and canada over your wifi). If you spring for the full paid app it can do those free calls over your cell data as well.

I have a tmobile G2 and have used both groove ip and tmobile's wifi calling. Both work great.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy123 View Post
    Use the free app on google play called groove ip lite. That does wi fi calling just like tmobile wi fi calling (free calls in US and canada over your wifi). If you spring for the full paid app it can do those free calls over your cell data as well.

I have a tmobile G2 and have used both groove ip and tmobile's wifi calling. Both work great.
    They are definitely not the same. The quality on UMA (Wifi Calling) is much much higher and more consistent than GrooVe IP, Talkatone or other OTT VOIP solutions that use Google Talk.

They're both technically "Wifi Calling", but the similarities stop there.
    Last edited by Andrew Martonik; 11-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Thanked by:

I understand that the tech is different but as far as my personal experience using both to make calls from the locations I usually make wifi calls the quality and the experience was basically the same.

Nexus 4 docs has wifi calling? hmm..?
    Support: Connectivity & data: Google Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by vietmode View Post
    Has to just be left in the Support Documentation on accident. T-Mobile has confirmed that it doesn't have Wifi Calling.

Im confused, the doc's online from T-mobile, in the key feature,s under conectivity states; Wi-Fi calling.
    So is someone saying T-mob will be turning that off ?

Quote Originally Posted by chriss#ac View Post
    Im confused, the doc's online from T-mobile, in the key feature,s under conectivity states; Wi-Fi calling.
    I believe it was TmoNews that confirmed directly w/ T-Mobile that Wifi Calling won't be loaded on the device. T-Mobile has to make a special app for each phone to have Wifi Calling, so possibly they've decided it isn't worth it.
    cognus and MERCDROID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vietmode View Post
    I believe I recognize these topics as being from a generic Android support FAQ template they use for a number of phones. The probably just haven't updated it yet.

Not to deride every TM support rep, but they have some dumb bunnies who think step two in troubleshooting any and every issue is "let's do a factory reset." Step three is "Oh, have you installed any apps, including updating the factory installed apps? All bets are off, it's probably software causing $ISSUE."
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Outgoing calls is just the reverse. You're taking any phone and making the outgoing call look like its coming from your GV number. The same applies though, it's using the regular cell voice network and using minutes, it's not VOIP.
    Ok, thanks. I tried it [Google Voice] on my cellular network and noticed the outgoing call was dialing some 9xx-area code number instead of the number I selected, I'll assume that was part of the routing via Google Voice from my cell network you're talking about or should I see the number I actually selected to dial? I immediately stopped the GV call and called again without GV and saw the regular number outgoing.

Thanks for your time, AM!
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Ok, thanks. I tried it [Google Voice] on my cellular network and noticed the outgoing call was dialing some 9xx-area code number instead of the number I selected, I'll assume that was part of the routing via Google Voice from my cell network you're talking about or should I see the number I actually selected to dial? I immediately stopped the GV call and called again without GV and saw the regular number outgoing.

Thanks for your time, AM!
    Yes, that is correct. The # you're seeing is a "random" one that's being used as a "middle man" to route the call. The caller on the other end sees your GV# in the caller ID.
    Thanked by 4:
    MERCDROID and andr0idralphie like this.

People are complaining bout the Nexus 4 like its the only phone on the market. First and foremost please understand that the Nexus Project is Google's baby! They will not let any company determine what hardware and software goes on the phone. The updates for the Nexus are pushed by Google. You will never wait months for updates. The Verizon disaster from last year with the Galaxy Nexus cost Google a lot if money and it wasnt actually a Nexus after Verizon slapped there logo on it and bloatware.

John
    MERCDROID likes this.

There will not be Tmo wifi calling on the Nexus. That is considered bloatware therefore This wouldnt be a Nexus.
    Quote Originally Posted by chriss#ac View Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast