Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Default Re: Why I wouldn't mind if the nexus 4 wasnt a huge hit to the public...

Though I definatly understand where you're comming from, I am hoping for it te be a massive sucess for two reasons:
    1) I would love to see lots of good accessories, ottyerboxes, LifeProof cases, and gidgets galore which can be tricky with android phones.
    2) This reason isnt great but I will be arranging for my GF to have one, I talked her from a iPhone to a BB (which she loves.....but misses some important apps and sort of wants to go back to iPhone) so with this phone I want her to have a phone that even a non techie recognizes as an awesome phone....and sadly one of the biggest keys to that is mass acceptance and device proliferation.......

Default Re: Why I wouldn't mind if the nexus 4 wasnt a huge hit to the public...

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Like the HOX did or the iPhone always has? If anything, Google is following the others, not leading things down a terrible blind alley.

As Phil has noted, manufacturers are starting to move away from both things because it allows thinner builds and tighter structures. No removable back means no flexing which makes things feel cheap. Should they have offered a 32GB or 64GB model? Sure, and since I'm buying one immediately, it should come along in about 3 months just as it did with my Nexus 7 purchase. You're welcome, procrastinators!
    Meanwhile Samsung has both and outselling everyone. Also for the longest it was the thinnest phone out until the iPhone 5 so that has nothing to do with it

Taking away features is never a good thing

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

What he said

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

I wouldn't mind if it weren't a great hit; it probably isn't geared for that. But I do want it to be a hit. This is a fantastic, top of the line device for an incredibly inexpensive price tag. It is also probably the best phone for anyone that wants to leave the contract world and take charge of their phone bills with prepaid.

Global Posts
    6,888 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Sorry about your luck, looks like it's a global hit.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanked by:
    yfan likes this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    I wouldn't mind if it weren't a great hit; it probably isn't geared for that. But I do want it to be a hit. This is a fantastic, top of the line device for an incredibly inexpensive price tag. It is also probably the best phone for anyone that wants to leave the contract world and take charge of their phone bills with prepaid.
    Please forgive me for disagreeing with you on the above.

I have to disagree, because no phone that is lacking in the most current and up to date hardware should be classified as top of the line. Case in point, this Nexus does not have LTE for any of the largest carriers. AT&T, VZW, and even Sprint have LTE. The predecessor to the Nexus 4 did offer the consumer and LTE model.

I do understand why the phone doesn't have LTE. But, all that amounts to me is Google telling the biggest carriers, since you do not want to play by our rules, we are taking our ball and going home.

So great phone, yes but, top of the line? Only if it were have back in time to 2010.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Sorry about your luck, looks like it's a global hit.
    Yup.....seems to have sold out every one of their 1000 in stock.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    bunique4life05 likes this.

Pauldroud, apparently you dont understand why it doest bave LTE. This phone is released to the world not just the USA and most of the world doesn't have LTE so no, they didnt just cater to a couple of US carriers. Sorry you dont like it, but it doesnt bother me. We dont have to buy it. I think it is more an issue that it lacks memory than LTE. The world uses memory for movies, music, etc... And please dont tell me about the cloud. That isnt a good option for everyone.
    Thanked by:
    yfan 
    yfan likes this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzaa View Post
    Pauldroud, apparently you dont understand why it doest bave LTE. This phone is released to the world not just the USA and most of the world doesn't have LTE so no, they didnt just cater to a couple of US carriers. Sorry you dont like it, but it doesnt bother me. We dont have to buy it. I think it is more an issue that it lacks memory than LTE. The world uses memory for movies, music, etc... And please dont tell me about the cloud. That isnt a good option for everyone.
    Rayzaa, thank you oh so very much for the downright condescending and patronizing comment.

Unfortunately, your opinion of what I understand is wrong.

In the future, please do not attempt to refer to me specifically I would prefer not to make this topic or any other in this forum something personal.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

The previous generation Nexus phone had models that were compatible with LTE networks. LTE is the latest network technology.

If you care about what a true "Nexus" is, you care about it too much. A Nexus is whatever Google allows to be called a Nexus. You don't get to make that decision.

Not having having the option of an LTE-compatible model is a downgrade, IMO.

Google wants to play this "no carrier interference game". How 'bout they work on their storefront first?

And just like the "no LTE" argument - if the Nexus 4 doesn't have enough memory for you, then you don't have to buy it either.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

This horse has been beaten to death, but here goes another try.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    I have to disagree, because no phone that is lacking in the most current and up to date hardware should be classified as top of the line. Case in point, this Nexus does not have LTE for any of the largest carriers. AT&T, VZW, and even Sprint have LTE.
    Beyond a chip and a radio, LTE is more a connectivity feature than a hardware feature. On that connectivity note, HSPA+ 42, which the Nexus 4 IS capable of, rivals LTE, and beats it in some markets. This idea that a lack of LTE is an instant disqualification for a phone to be classified as having top of the line hardware is plain ridiculous. If you want to claim that any phone lacking LTE connectivity (the N4 has an LTE chip, just not an LTE antennae or the licensing to turn it on, which is cumbersome and closed) can't be top of the line, I can claim that any phone without HSPA+ 42 connectivity also cannot be top of the line, instantly disqualifying pretty much all Verizon and Sprint branded phones. If your issue is speed of data connections, the Nexus 4 is capable of plenty.

Also, LTE doesn't mean squat to most of the world, and being an unlocked world phone that works on the world's largest carrier band (GSM) and high speed data networks (HSPA+) are in and of themselves qualifiers for a top of the line phone.
    The predecessor to the Nexus 4 did offer the consumer and LTE model.
    Wrong. The Verizon and Sprint versions of the Galaxy Nexus were not unlocked devices that got their updates directly from Google. Google learned their lesson with the tight carrier grip, especially from Verizon, and they are not making that mistake again. The only phone that can be characterized as "predecessor" to the Nexus 4, is the unlocked Galaxy Nexus that you could buy in the play store. That version never supported LTE.
    I do understand why the phone doesn't have LTE. But, all that amounts to me is Google telling the biggest carriers, since you do not want to play by our rules, we are taking our ball and going home.
    Actually, no. Google is telling carriers that if they do not want to abide by OPEN standards (not Google's rules, as you put it), and they insist on choking Google's update process, then they cannot have a Nexus 4 on their network. It's the carriers that want Google to play by their rules, and Google isn't having it. Good for them.

Look, if you really must have LTE, this phone isn't for you. We should not confuse, however, a phone that does not meet our individual needs with whether it can be characterized top of the line. The Galaxy Note 2 is entirely too big for my taste, and I hate styli. That does not mean that it's not a top of the line phone, just because I don't want it.
    Thanked by:
    Rayzaa 
    The Hustleman and Rayzaa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The previous generation Nexus phone had models that were compatible with LTE networks. LTE is the latest network technology.

If you care about what a true "Nexus" is, you care about it too much. A Nexus is whatever Google allows to be called a Nexus. You don't get to make that decision.
    The GNex wasnt released to the world on launch day. Here is Googles explanation below on why it didnt get LTE:
    By Google VP Google senior VP explains lack of LTE in Nexus 4 | News | TechRadar
    Network issues aren't the only reason Google was hesitant to include LTE support in its latest smartphone, as Rubin related there were some manufacturing concerns to consider as well.
    "Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life," Rubin stated.
    "When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn't a great user experience.
    "It's possible to do it right, but that's not where we'll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet."
    Most of the world is on a GSM network while Verizon and Sprint are not and only here in the USA is LTE prevalent and Verizon isnt going to get this phone.
    Those in the few countries that DO have LTE pay thru the nose for it so it isnt a popular choice yet.

Not having having the option of an LTE-compatible model is a downgrade, IMO.
    You may get it later just like we may get 32GB of memory later....maybe!

Google wants to play this "no carrier interference game". How 'bout they work on their storefront first?

And just like the "no LTE" argument - if the Nexus 4 doesn't have enough memory for you, then you don't have to buy it either.
    Your right , i dont and im not. Not until i find out if it is going to get 32GB or not. If not, i probably wont buy it, if so...its a go. I will say however if you polled the world, getting 32GB would overwhemingly be the choice over LTE imo
    Last edited by Rayzaa; 11-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Rayzaa, thank you oh so very much for the downright condescending and patronizing comment.

Unfortunately, your opinion of what I understand is wrong.

In the future, please do not attempt to refer to me specifically I would prefer not to make this topic or any other in this forum something personal.

Thanks!

I wasnt trying to do that and dont think i did. I couldnt get my reply to quote your post is why i used your username instead. I was on a slow network which took a while to get that reply to go thru. I was just refuting your post just like you were refuting the other poster. Guess you didnt like that and id do it again if i dont agree.

Im not singling you out but seems many keep complaining that it doesnt have LTE like it is some huge mistake and dont get why. It is a world phone, not just for the USA that only has ONE GSM network on LTE.
    Last edited by Rayzaa; 11-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    This horse has been beaten to death, but here goes another try.

Beyond a chip and a radio, LTE is more a connectivity feature than a hardware feature. On that connectivity note, HSPA+ 42, which the Nexus 4 IS capable of, rivals LTE, and beats it in some markets. This idea that a lack of LTE is an instant disqualification for a phone to be classified as having top of the line hardware is plain ridiculous. If you want to claim that any phone lacking LTE connectivity (the N4 has an LTE chip, just not an LTE antennae or the licensing to turn it on, which is cumbersome and closed) can't be top of the line, I can claim that any phone without HSPA+ 42 connectivity also cannot be top of the line, instantly disqualifying pretty much all Verizon and Sprint branded phones. If your issue is speed of data connections, the Nexus 4 is capable of plenty.

Also, LTE doesn't mean squat to most of the world, and being an unlocked world phone that works on the world's largest carrier band (GSM) and high speed data networks (HSPA+) are in and of themselves qualifiers for a top of the line phone.

Wrong. The Verizon and Sprint versions of the Galaxy Nexus were not unlocked devices that got their updates directly from Google. Google learned their lesson with the tight carrier grip, especially from Verizon, and they are not making that mistake again. The only phone that can be characterized as "predecessor" to the Nexus 4, is the unlocked Galaxy Nexus that you could buy in the play store. That version never supported LTE.

Actually, no. Google is telling carriers that if they do not want to abide by OPEN standards (not Google's rules, as you put it), and they insist on choking Google's update process, then they cannot have a Nexus 4 on their network. It's the carriers that want Google to play by their rules, and Google isn't having it. Good for them.

Look, if you really must have LTE, this phone isn't for you. We should not confuse, however, a phone that does not meet our individual needs with whether it can be characterized top of the line. The Galaxy Note 2 is entirely too big for my taste, and I hate styli. That does not mean that it's not a top of the line phone, just because I don't want it.
    Great reply.

I agree with you about the note

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Thanked by:
    yfan 

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I wasnt trying to do that and dont think i did. I couldnt get my reply to quote your post is why i used your username instead. I was on a slow network which took a while to get that reply to go thru. I was just refuting your post just like you were refuting the other poster. Guess you didnt like that and id do it again if i dont agree.

Im not singling you out but seems many keep complaining that it doesnt have LTE like it is some huge mistake and dont get why. It is a world phone, not just for the USA that only has ONE GSM network on LTE.
    Then stop talking down to people and stop implying that they do not understand what is going on.

If you weren't singling me out then why refer to me specifically?

Heaven forbid anyone post an opinion that is contrary to yours they will suffer the same type of pathetic lecture I received.

Thanked by:
    Ry 

Then stop talking down to people and stop implying that they do not understand what is going on.

I didnt talk down to anyone. So saying "apparently you dont understand" is talking down to you? Well you didnt explain yourself either....still havent. How is it so different that you can say why you dont agree with yfan to me saying why i dont agree with you?
    And i explained why i used your name instead of a quote. Dont see the difference though. Your username is in the quote.
    Heaven forbid anyone post an opinion that is contrary to yours they will suffer the same type of pathetic lecture I received.
    LOL,I didnt lecture you. You got way more of a lecture from the guy you replied to(if you can even call it that). Some have thicker skin than others. I got worse replies on a thread i started before but i didnt complain they were patronizing me or being condensending. I explained myself and dealt with it. That seems to work.
    Thanked by:

Um, I think he just replied to you with his opinion on the topic.
    Which is kind of how a message board works, no?
    Thanked by:
    Rayzaa 
    yfan likes this.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Some people need to grow a thicker skin and not take it so personally, IJS.

We're all here because we love android based products. That's all that matters. If you don't like THIS particular android based product, by all means, DO NOT BUY IT. Buy something that works for you and leave that product to the people it DOES work for. It's that simple.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by 2:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123