iPhone Refugee: While I Wait?

Johnny Dangerously

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
First post!

I've always wanted to try an Android phone ever since the Nexus One, and I knew I would only want to try the Nexus line (pure, vanilla, unaltered Android). Of course, it makes it a bit more difficult when I work for, uh, um, "a competing company". Anyway.

All my stuff ? email, contacts, calendars, notes, browser bookmarks, etc. ? is on iCloud. I am an expert at that, so it's a piece of cake to get all that moved over to Gmail and its other services. Hell, I use Chrome on my Mac about 30-40% of the time, anyway. My app usage is pretty mainstream (i.e. also available on Android and, more importantly, trustworthy apps): Twitter, Amazon, eBay, Wikipedia, USA TODAY, Sportacular, USAA.

I've read everything I can get my hands on, and watched every video tour of Jelly Bean I can find.

I think I'm ready.

AM I MISSING ANYTHING OBVIOUS THAT AN APPLE USER SHOULD KNOW BEFORE THEY JUMP THE FENCE?

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
First post!

I've always wanted to try an Android phone ever since the Nexus One, and I knew I would only want to try the Nexus line (pure, vanilla, unaltered Android). Of course, it makes it a bit more difficult when I work for, uh, um, "a competing company". Anyway.

All my stuff ? email, contacts, calendars, notes, browser bookmarks, etc. ? is on iCloud. I am an expert at that, so it's a piece of cake to get all that moved over to Gmail and its other services. Hell, I use Chrome on my Mac about 30-40% of the time, anyway. My app usage is pretty mainstream (i.e. also available on Android and, more importantly, trustworthy apps): Twitter, Amazon, eBay, Wikipedia, USA TODAY, Sportacular, USAA.

I've read everything I can get my hands on, and watched every video tour of Jelly Bean I can find.

I think I'm ready.

AM I MISSING ANYTHING OBVIOUS THAT AN APPLE USER SHOULD KNOW BEFORE THEY JUMP THE FENCE?

You are making it a big deal. Just pop that cherry and be merry!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
First post!

I think I'm ready.

seems like you have done your homework. by now you know that there are tons of customization. tons to play around with. you never get bored.
good luck

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Sounds about right. I have read some things lately about Iphones not letting IMs go to the new Android phone properly, might want to investigate that one. It is in the I Messenger for the issue, not android.

Other than that, I think you will enjoy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds about right. I have read some things lately about Iphones not letting IMs go to the new Android phone properly, might want to investigate that one. It is in the I Messenger for the issue, not android.

Other than that, I think you will enjoy

good point. you have to do something in the phone before getting rid of it.

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
iMessage only works between iOS devices. Non iOS devices rcv it as regular sms.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
iMessage only works between iOS devices. Non iOS devices rcv it as regular sms.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I know that, but there have been some posts that I Messenger will not let the text go through to the new Android phone

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Ummm.....no to the conspiracy theory...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...tting-texts-my-s3-after-switching-iphone.html

I have seen more than one of those threads littering the information superhighway

I agree with you. I have seen many iphone convert complaint about it. Its an issue with apple thh

Carriers deal with text sending. Otherwise it's software and then that would mean sender/receiver wouldn't be able to receive/send to anyone (or software "burps" meaning random interval). An iphone cant differentiate between a text from an iphone or android phone. They use the same code to send sms. The only time the iphone can tell if the other phone is an iphone is through imessage, and thats also only if they have it on.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Carriers deal with text sending. Otherwise it's software and then that would mean sender/receiver wouldn't be able to receive/send to anyone (or software "burps" meaning random interval). An iphone cant differentiate between a text from an iphone or android phone. They use the same code to send sms. The only time the iphone can tell if the other phone is an iphone is through imessage, and thats also only if they have it on.

No the iMessenger service is the culprit. Apparently it adds an extra layer, and has a bug

iMessage Bug Traps Android Converters? Personal Conversations? But There?s A Fix! | TechCrunch

The Solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3575633?start=0&tstart=0

It is a reality, not a conspiracy. I dislike iPhones a lot but I do not have to make crap up

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
No the iMessenger service is the culprit. Apparently it adds an extra layer, and has a bug

iMessage Bug Traps Android Converters? Personal Conversations? But There?s A Fix! | TechCrunch

The Solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3575633?start=0&tstart=0

It is a reality, not a conspiracy. I dislike iPhones a lot but I do not have to make crap up

Hmm that may be the issue but apple isn't deliberately doing this which is what some people were implying. I guess a simple fix would be to disable imessage.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm that may be the issue but apple isn't deliberately doing this which is what some people were implying. I guess a simple fix would be to disable imessage.
No one said Apple is deliberately doing this. everyone are pointing out the fact that its Apple/iMessage issue.
or an issue that Apple has no control over.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
When you set up iMessage with a phone number, you are attributing it to your iCloud ID. When an iMessage originates from an iDevice, it goes up to Apple's servers to first check their database to see if that number is linked to an iCloud ID. If it is, it gets forwarded to any Apple devices with that ID.

This is how it allows you to message to/from a computer and/or without SMS fees.

All you need to do is turn off the iMessage option in your iCloud prefs, or remove your number from your account. This isn't any different than setting up a phone to call forward, and forgetting to turn it off when you're no longer at the forwarded number. ;-)

There is no turning off imessage option anywhere on icloud.com or from the phone

Hope I don't run into this problem come this week with the Nexus 4

cjthebest

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been a faithful iPhone user for quite sometime. I got the iPhone 5 on launch day. It's great and all... but I'm getting a little tired of iOS. Just like you, I've always been intrigued by Android. I currently have my iPhone 5 on AT&T and I will get the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's Monthly4G $30 plan (5GB data, unlimited text, and 100 Mins). I figure for only $30 more a month, I'll have best of both worlds! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid