Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Cross-platform messaging

All of these systems are flawed because they all require that everyone in your circle of friends agree on the same one. We need interoperability. Or just one very popular one (such as Facebook Messenger, which has multimedia capabilities) to be agreed upon by everyone. It's insane how everything is broken up. It's as if we were had to have a Gmail address, a Yahoo address, a Comcast address, etc. in order to communicate with all our different friends on different email systems. So people fall back to SMS since that's the only option out there that will work on everyone's phone. But I hate that because I only have 500 free texts per month. I'd rather everyone send me an IM. But I don't want to run more than just Google Talk and maybe Facebook Messenger.
    4fool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.plans View Post
    I know people with Android phones that don't even know they have Google Talk installed. ..
    I have mine disabled. Never used it. WhatsApp, sms, and yahoo messenger are all good enough since I'm lacking BBM.

Quote Originally Posted by lswim80 View Post
    texting is one of those things that doesn't really make sense in the era of smartphones.
    It's still there for the exact same reasons that PCs still have SVGA ports on them: backward compatibility. I know plenty of people, old and young, who don't have smartphones. The moment you throw away SMS-handling abilities on smartphones, you're just going to chop your own nose off, because there's still far too many people for whom that's the only available mobile messaging option.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

WhatsApp is great. So many people have it and it's locked to your phone number, so if you change phones, you keep the same WA account and your contacts are there
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12