Why 768 and not 720?

Justin Harvey1

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just wanting to know why the Nexus 4 is 768 and not 720. whats the point of making the screen wider? it just means black bars in video playback.

and its not for the navbar as because the navbar doesnt drop to the bottom when the phone is in prorate to use those 48 pixels? dont the buttons stay to the right hand side and just change orientation? new camera experience on Nexus 4 " Photo Sphere " - YouTube

Also a side question on that can you shrink the navbar size?

thanks

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
768 follows more in line with computer displays and the soft buttons are onscreen most of the time so the additional space prevents apps from being cutoff. 720px originated from television resolutions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
768 follows more in line with computer displays and the soft buttons are onscreen most of the time so the additional space prevents apps from being cutoff. 720px originated from television resolutions.

But the screen isn't taller, it's wider... that wouldn't at all change where the buttons on the bottom are.

OP, this is just the screen that LG makes. They're not the only ones, but you're right 768x1280 is less common than 720x1280. That's just how it is. No real reasoning behind it, just 48 extra pixels.

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
But the screen isn't taller, it's wider... that wouldn't at all change where the buttons on the bottom are.

OP, this is just the screen that LG makes. They're not the only ones, but you're right 768x1280 is less common than 720x1280. That's just how it is. No real reasoning behind it, just 48 extra pixels.

Not enough coffee..... Will fix that shortly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the deal with 16:9 on smartphones, most users still use the phone traditionally in the normal vertical way, and for that I think the wider screen is a true advantage.
Take some Samsung Note 2 reviews for example, many complain that the icon rows now have an icon less in each, because the phone became thinner than the Note. Only true Apple fans will see the advantage of a 16:9 fans, as the apple commercials state it's extremely innovative, movies without any black bars, woahhh! Your thumb perfectly matches with the top and the left side of the screen, woahhh!
Oh c'mon seriously 16:9 on phones is just ridiculous.......

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the deal with 16:9 on smartphones, most users still use the phone traditionally in the normal vertical way, and for that I think the wider screen is a true advantage.
Take some Samsung Note 2 reviews for example, many complain that the icon rows now have an icon less in each, because the phone became thinner than the Note. Only true Apple fans will see the advantage of a 16:9 fans, as the apple commercials state it's extremely innovative, movies without any black bars, woahhh! Your thumb perfectly matches with the top and the left side of the screen, woahhh!
Oh c'mon seriously 16:9 on phones is just ridiculous.......

And Apple fans are right ;p 16:9 is most common media retio so it's naturally recomanded to use this retio for any screen size using it, so none of the pixel is wasted and none are missing. Not to mention in case of AMOLED wasting screen with bars is dangerues for is as i will unbalace usage of the screen and cause burn-outs to be more visible., so if watch movie with bars a lot of time on AMOLED screen you slowly killing it

babywarez

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Not ridiculous. I like 16:9. I like watching videos. Even, sometimes, full movies so it actually matters. I just don't get the 768 pixels, I would prefer 720p. I'm going to hate black bars.

I'm getting an extra row of icons on the app drawer, that's all... kind of useless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech