Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Syrential
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why 768 and not 720?

    Just wanting to know why the Nexus 4 is 768 and not 720. whats the point of making the screen wider? it just means black bars in video playback.

    and its not for the navbar as because the navbar doesnt drop to the bottom when the phone is in prorate to use those 48 pixels? dont the buttons stay to the right hand side and just change orientation?

    Also a side question on that can you shrink the navbar size?


    thanks
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    768 follows more in line with computer displays and the soft buttons are onscreen most of the time so the additional space prevents apps from being cutoff. 720px originated from television resolutions.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    but the addininal space isnt where the nav bar is it makes the screen wider not longer
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Quote Originally Posted by qreepii View Post
    768 follows more in line with computer displays and the soft buttons are onscreen most of the time so the additional space prevents apps from being cutoff. 720px originated from television resolutions.
    But the screen isn't taller, it's wider... that wouldn't at all change where the buttons on the bottom are.

    OP, this is just the screen that LG makes. They're not the only ones, but you're right 768x1280 is less common than 720x1280. That's just how it is. No real reasoning behind it, just 48 extra pixels.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  5. #5  
    skyrockett's Avatar

    Posts
    353 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Because N7 has 768
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyrockett View Post
    Because N7 has 768
    It's actually 1280x800...
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    But the screen isn't taller, it's wider... that wouldn't at all change where the buttons on the bottom are.

    OP, this is just the screen that LG makes. They're not the only ones, but you're right 768x1280 is less common than 720x1280. That's just how it is. No real reasoning behind it, just 48 extra pixels.
    Not enough coffee..... Will fix that shortly

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    I don't get the deal with 16:9 on smartphones, most users still use the phone traditionally in the normal vertical way, and for that I think the wider screen is a true advantage.
    Take some Samsung Note 2 reviews for example, many complain that the icon rows now have an icon less in each, because the phone became thinner than the Note. Only true Apple fans will see the advantage of a 16:9 fans, as the apple commercials state it's extremely innovative, movies without any black bars, woahhh! Your thumb perfectly matches with the top and the left side of the screen, woahhh!
    Oh c'mon seriously 16:9 on phones is just ridiculous.......
    AbbaiG likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    It'd be handy if you could modify it so it actually puts the 3 buttons on the bottom in landscape.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Ew I didn't notice that. I hope is not too wide like the Nokia 920.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Quote Originally Posted by Syrential View Post
    I don't get the deal with 16:9 on smartphones, most users still use the phone traditionally in the normal vertical way, and for that I think the wider screen is a true advantage.
    Take some Samsung Note 2 reviews for example, many complain that the icon rows now have an icon less in each, because the phone became thinner than the Note. Only true Apple fans will see the advantage of a 16:9 fans, as the apple commercials state it's extremely innovative, movies without any black bars, woahhh! Your thumb perfectly matches with the top and the left side of the screen, woahhh!
    Oh c'mon seriously 16:9 on phones is just ridiculous.......
    And Apple fans are right ;p 16:9 is most common media retio so it's naturally recomanded to use this retio for any screen size using it, so none of the pixel is wasted and none are missing. Not to mention in case of AMOLED wasting screen with bars is dangerues for is as i will unbalace usage of the screen and cause burn-outs to be more visible., so if watch movie with bars a lot of time on AMOLED screen you slowly killing it
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why 768 and not 720?

    Not ridiculous. I like 16:9. I like watching videos. Even, sometimes, full movies so it actually matters. I just don't get the 768 pixels, I would prefer 720p. I'm going to hate black bars.

    I'm getting an extra row of icons on the app drawer, that's all... kind of useless.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
  2. Why does new phones come with froyo and not gingerbread?
    By ronlsjr in forum Verizon Droid Charge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 12:43 AM
  4. Why Firefox and not Chrome?
    By vjr021 in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
  5. why is the evo rooted already and not the DInc
    By gotbeer5150 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

B