View Poll Results: Will you overclock your N4?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 14.81%
  • No

23 85.19%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Poll: Who will Overclock their N4?

When I purchased my Motorola Xoom, we were able to overclock it from 1.0ghz (dual core) to 1.6ghz. Do you think that the S4 CPU will be able to be overclocked as easy and with as good results? If so, would you do it? 2.0ghz quad core sounds pretty bad *** to me.

Default Re: Poll: Who will Overclock their N4?

Uhhh, no.

Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

Default Poll: Who will Overclock their N4?

Absolutely no need to. This isn't 2009.
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Syrential View Post
    Uhhh, no.
    Maybe a bit more description on why not?

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    its already a beast. if at all I will underclock to save some battery.
    skafri#WN and marcus.plans like this.

Several reasons actually:
    - I think that 1.5ghz is already enormous for a cellphone, and unless there are any highend games it would make no sense at all, you'd most likely not even see any improvements
    - Battery life will decrease a lot
    - Not exactly healthy for the CPU, I like usng my phone for as long as possible
    - The Nexus 4 already has some heating problems caused by the CPU, so I assume overclocking it would most likely kill it
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Absolutely no need to. This isn't 2009.
    That's a pretty interesting statement. The Galaxy S3 isn't from 2009 and it is being overclocked by many.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Several reasons actually:
    - I think that 1.5ghz is already enormous for a cellphone, and unless there are any highend games it would make no sense at all, you'd most likely not even see any improvements
    - Battery life will decrease a lot
    - Not exactly healthy for the CPU, I like usng my phone for as long as possible
    - The Nexus 4 already has some heating problems caused by the CPU, so I assume overclocking it would most likely kill it
    I believe the Nexus 7 has been overclocked to 1.8ghz with absolutely no increased battery drain.
    The heating problems were only noticed during GPU/CPU benchmarking, not during normal use.

The heating problems were only noticed during GPU/CPU benchmarking, not during normal use.
    So exactly why do you need to overclock it then? Unless you're running a benchmark and are trying to show off there's absolutely no reason for it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So exactly why do you need to overclock it then? Unless you're running a benchmark and are trying to show off there's absolutely no reason for it.
    I don't think I have seen any real reviews on the performance of the N4 in 3d games like Shadowgun, Modern Combat etc. Perhaps overclocking may not be needed on day one, but since high graphic games are starting to come out for android a few extra ghz of power may be beneficial. If you're going to use your N4 only for music, email, facebook, photos, and angry birds then I can see no applicable use to overclock.

i am absolutly trying to show off. why would i not be... i need the approval of the internets!
    Thanked by:

I don't think I have seen any real reviews on the performance of the N4 in 3d games like Shadowgun, Modern Combat etc. Perhaps overclocking may not be needed on day one, but since high graphic games are starting to come out for android a few extra ghz of power may be beneficial. If you're going to use your N4 only for music, email, facebook, photos, and angry birds then I can see no applicable use to overclock.
    The GPU is on par with the one in the iPhone 5, so it shouldn't be any problem. And if developers properly progam for quadcore CPU's you shouldn't even see any problems for the next years.
    I don't have anything against overclocking, my PC is heavily overclocked, but that's a completely different thing, I just think that on a smartphone it's not exactly that necessary, maybe in the future at some point but for the next months it should be completely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdannell View Post
    i am absolutly trying to show off. why would i not be... i need the approval of the internets!
    You sure you're still talking about the Nexus 4 though?

Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

That's a pretty interesting statement. The Galaxy S3 isn't from 2009 and it is being overclocked by many.
    And there's absolutely no need to over clock a GSIII unless it had a first gen Snapdragon 1ghz processor.