Something wrong with the camera on this phone???

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Something wrong witht the camera on this phone???

Hey guys. The camera is my biggest dilemma. The Lumia 920 and Nexus 4 are two very different phones. Both with their own unique positives. However, I feel the ecosystem of the Lumia outweighs the specs of the Nexus 4. I really want the Nexus 4 but the camera situation is pushing me away. As far as price. Att offers the Lumia for 450 off contract with the charging plate so the cost isn't much different. I know that its att and but it can unlocked.

This decision is hard. I hope more users take pictures so I can make my final decision.
buy a DSLR camera if you want a good camera. its a phone and not a standalone camera. you expect a good camera in this tiny device.
nexus 4 has the same camera as the iphone 5 and it is amazing imo

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to Korea and need a good camera. I am invested into Google but Windows 8 is a good ecosystem to me. My opinion . No reason to bash a new member.

Not bashing, just explaining. At this point, the WP8/W8 ecosystem is just downright puny compared to Android and iOS. That's just how it is. If you're OK with that, that's one thing, but don't lie to yourself and say the ecosystems or comparable.

If you need a good camera for a trip, BUY A CAMERA. You'll be so much happier with the results compared to any phone camera. Seriously, Spend $150-$250 on a real camera and you won't regret it.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

The photos look fine. What worries me is the video quality which is very blurry from the main camera.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree with those who say there is a lot of noise in Phil's photos. Question is: what is that due to? It's a jpeg, and it could be getting re-compressed at any point from the camera software to AC's servers.

Also, these are indoor shots which usually have poor lighting, and this causes the camera software to crank up the ISO, which leads to noise.

Have a look at this shot:
https://plus.google.com/108233028875375016776/posts/9LVn5dEzm8Y

(download the full size file by clicking on "options" in G+) If you zoom in to 1:1, you can see that the leaves in the center of the pic are nearly perfectly sharp. So that's good. If you look towards the outside things get more mottled. It might be that the camera's jpeg compression algorithm does not handle blurry areas very well and makes them look mottled instead of having a clean bokeh. If that is the case, any slightly blurry shot (due to motion or lack of focus) will look noisy at 1:1.

So I wouldn't yet conclude that the camera really has issues. It appears it has good potential, but like any cell pone camera with a tiny sensor, difficult lighting conditions will not result in incredibly sharp pictures at 1:1.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

I agree with those who say there is a lot of noise in Phil's photos. Question is: what is that due to? It's a jpeg, and it could be getting re-compressed at any point from the camera software to AC's servers.

Also, these are indoor shots which usually have poor lighting, and this causes the camera software to crank up the ISO, which leads to noise.

Have a look at this shot:
https://plus.google.com/108233028875375016776/posts/9LVn5dEzm8Y

(download the full size file by clicking on "options" in G+) If you zoom in to 1:1, you can see that the leaves in the center of the pic are nearly perfectly sharp. So that's good. If you look towards the outside things get more mottled. It might be that the camera's jpeg compression algorithm does not handle blurry areas very well and makes them look mottled instead of having a clean bokeh. If that is the case, any slightly blurry shot (due to motion or lack of focus) will look noisy at 1:1.

So I wouldn't yet conclude that the camera really has issues. It appears it has good potential, but like any cell pone camera with a tiny sensor, difficult lighting conditions will not result in incredibly sharp pictures at 1:1.

It's not on our server side. I upload directly to them for that very reason.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

People, Sony BSI sensors are the most common point-and-shoot sensors anywhere. In camera software is what determines the outcome of the pictures (hence why people sometimes like to shoot RAW and apply their own software touches). Sony BSI sensors are in point-and-shoots of just about any camera manufacturer (and some DSLR's as well).

So let's cut out all the nonsense. Most of you making comments are not experts in photography and you're making a big deal out of this camera situation even though you know very little of the topic you're talking about. With cell phone cameras, you better not be shaky or you will get blurry pics. And if you are not in good light, forget it. You better be like a tripod...lol. I don't care what mobile phone you have. Most of the phones we're talking about are going to have similar sensors or even the very same sensors. The amateur photographer will be most to blame for blurry pics along with the limits of the teeny tiny mobile phone camera sensor.

Go buy a real point-and-shoot if you want good pics...something you can fit in a pocket like a Canon S90/S95/S100/S110 or similar. Let's stop talking about these phone cameras. I bet if you had all 3 or 4 phones next to each other with the same amateur taking the pictures, you'd end up with very similar results. To this day, no mobile phone camera has been all that impressive on a consistent basis compared to a good point-and-shoot. And that's not going to change anytime soon.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I see the same sort of problem, it's a beautiful shot, great color clarity, but I couldn't tell what the sensor was focusing on.

Again, I think these Sony BSI sensors are great, but it's down to what the software does with the hardware that matters. Clearly, Apple is putting big resources into the camera software quality. Other phone makers ... well, HTC is making a big deal of theirs.

I agree, though, if you want to take great shots while traveling, getta great camera. Simple, right? No-brainer, right? :rolleyes:

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Great use of sarcasm

/sarcasm

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Haha, I guess sarcasm didn't get my point across well enough. Your prior comment (below), is supremely ignorant. Why would you not review a product in every setting to evaluate it's capabilities? I don't see the logic in that thought process (or your typing skills).

Hope that clears things up!

this isnt your nikon no ones lining up amazing shot with a phone camera. they review it how it gonna be used not like a pro photographer taking wedding pics

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm wondering who's going to be taking professional pictures with this thing or any smartphone. I'll probably be using Camera ZOOM fx. Based on that video comparison I'd say they all look pretty good. I'd have complaints if I had a D5100 taking photos or video that looked like any one of those.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Haha, I guess sarcasm didn't get my point across well enough. Your prior comment (below), is supremely ignorant. Why would you not review a product in every setting to evaluate it's capabilities? I don't see the logic in that thought process (or your typing skills).

Hope that clears things up!
Hope that whole post was a good boost to your ego. any more uncalled for insults or personal attacks you'd like to toss around. I'm all ears

MerkurMan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I was concerned with the Camera and back glass design from the get go. With no border around the lens, and no anti-reflective coating on the glass (as can be identified on most camera phone lenses by a purple coloured lens reflection when held up against a light source) I am afraid this camera will be very susceptible to light leakage, chroma flare and odd internal reflections causing less than desirable results when any light is being aimed towards the phone while taking a picture.

This is the reason the flash is isolated from the camera lens, because it would reflect back on to the sensor and negatively impact the image. Without a discrete camera lens with its own border and anti-reflective coating, any light that shines on to the glass back at any angle will affect image quality.

Let's hope LG thought of this during the design process and worked to eliminate any unwanted behaviour with the optics on the back. :)

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Hope that whole post was a good boost to your ego. any more uncalled for insults or personal attacks you'd like to toss around. I'm all ears

Yes, forum debates are a massive boost to my ego... really, kid? The only part of my post that you could have taken offense to was my quip about your typing. However, I still attempted to engage you in a relevant conversation, but judging by your prior posts (both in this thread and throughout the forum), you have little interest have holding intelligent conversations.

Side-note: If you do not like being spoken down to and belittled, perhaps you should treat other members on this forums with more respect and common courtesy. I'm addressing you as politely as you (more often than not) address others.

Good day, little one.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes, forum debates are a massive boost to my ego... really, kid? The only part of my post that you could have taken offense to was my quip about your typing. However, I still attempted to engage you in a relevant conversation, but judging by your prior posts (both in this thread and throughout the forum), you have little interest have holding intelligent conversations.

Side-note: If you do not like being spoken down to and belittled, perhaps you should treat other members on this forums with more respect and common courtesy. I'm addressing you as politely as you (more often than not) address others.

Good day, little one.
okay you win ima go cry in the corner now. I don't need to talk on the internet to make myself feel good. You should read some book on self confidence so you don't have to either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr