Would it be possible to use this as a computer at home pc? Somehow connected to a monitor/keyboard

radimir

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So i'm wondering, with the N4's massive specs, its basically as strong as a computer(s) we have at home.

I'm really interested in the new $250 Chromebook coming out soon. Im really considering buying one because I really just spend 100% of my time online. I'm happy enough with google docs and all the other google apps/programs. There are more coming. I do photo editing, but nothing crazy, just touch ups, and thers a chrome app that does just that, or coming out soon.

But, I'm pretty set on buying the N4 in 2 days and selling my Gnex.

So Im thinking, can't i just use the N4 as my overall internet/computer using machine?

Ive seen youtube videos of people connecting monitors and keyboards to the phone (particularly the gnex)

Would it be realistic to figure out a way to turn the phone into a home computer, say when i get home from work, and want to sit and relax and browse some internet.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Might be easier with a device that has specific HDMI or DisplayPort out adapters already available. But using a phone as a computer replacement involves some compromises, so I'd do your research before deciding on keyboards, trackpads, and monitors for this phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
like said above buy a chromebook for PC and nexus as a phone. using phone as a PC has many compromise.
you need to buy keyboard,mouse,battery has to be charged often, maybe a dock or something etc. Also, you lose the portability.

chromebook is only 250 and you get 100gb google drive storage for 2 years free and few goodies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
like said above buy a chromebook for PC and nexus as a phone. using phone as a PC has many compromise.
you need to buy keyboard,mouse,battery has to be charged often, maybe a dock or something etc. Also, you lose the portability.

chromebook is only 250 and you get 100gb google drive storage for 2 years free and few goodies.

Right. For the price of the peripherals to set up your phone as a computer you're half way to a Chromebook or a cheap Windows laptop. There's no reason to try and make this compromise right now...

radimir

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
All very good points. Basically convinced me against doing that.

Sooo, new idea. Keep the Gnex and buy a chromebook? Hmm... not sure if I can afford both right now. I mean, it'd be kind of unnecessary at the moment.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldnt buy a chromebook. Get a windows laptop since software is more readily available... Just my opinion but it makes more sense...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Sooo, new idea. Keep the Gnex and buy a chromebook? Hmm... not sure if I can afford both right now. I mean, it'd be kind of unnecessary at the moment.

well, that's up to you. Gnexus is a nice phone but nexus 4 is a bit better.

do the math and you decide if price is a concern.

scenario 1:
if you buy just chromebook its $250 so the total cost is $250

scenario 2:
if you sell gnexus for say $250 and buy nexus 4 which is $299 or $350. you pay 50 or 100 extra. total cost 50 or 100
buy chrome for $250

scenario 2 is just $100 difference + tax and shipping.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Just go all in N4, N10, and a chromebook

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Using a phone is possible but it would be annoying to constantly setting up. On the other side you can use a tablet, like i am considering this for uni (or using mylappy were the coverings are destroyed.) having a tablet in a case with a built in keyboard on the case. It all is possible, its just not practical. Keep your phone for now and use a tablet, or a thin laptop... i hear that people have managed to make Android Mac Book air style laptops if they are good is a whole different story.

Personally if I was to get a Tablet or Laptop for work/study I would go with a Windows as its more set up, more programs e.g word etc.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz