Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Martonik
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Would it be possible to use this as a computer at home pc? Somehow connected to a monitor/keyboard

So i'm wondering, with the N4's massive specs, its basically as strong as a computer(s) we have at home.

I'm really interested in the new $250 Chromebook coming out soon. Im really considering buying one because I really just spend 100% of my time online. I'm happy enough with google docs and all the other google apps/programs. There are more coming. I do photo editing, but nothing crazy, just touch ups, and thers a chrome app that does just that, or coming out soon.

But, I'm pretty set on buying the N4 in 2 days and selling my Gnex.

So Im thinking, can't i just use the N4 as my overall internet/computer using machine?

Ive seen youtube videos of people connecting monitors and keyboards to the phone (particularly the gnex)

Would it be realistic to figure out a way to turn the phone into a home computer, say when i get home from work, and want to sit and relax and browse some internet.

Default Re: Would it be possible to use this as a computer at home pc? Somehow connected to a monitor/keyboa

Yes. Might be easier with a device that has specific HDMI or DisplayPort out adapters already available. But using a phone as a computer replacement involves some compromises, so I'd do your research before deciding on keyboards, trackpads, and monitors for this phone.
    [SIZE="1"]Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb).

Default Re: Would it be possible to use this as a computer at home pc? Somehow connected to a monitor/keyboa

Buy the Chromebook.
    Ricky2009 likes this.

like said above buy a chromebook for PC and nexus as a phone. using phone as a PC has many compromise.
    you need to buy keyboard,mouse,battery has to be charged often, maybe a dock or something etc. Also, you lose the portability.

chromebook is only 250 and you get 100gb google drive storage for 2 years free and few goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    like said above buy a chromebook for PC and nexus as a phone. using phone as a PC has many compromise.
    you need to buy keyboard,mouse,battery has to be charged often, maybe a dock or something etc. Also, you lose the portability.

chromebook is only 250 and you get 100gb google drive storage for 2 years free and few goodies.
    Right. For the price of the peripherals to set up your phone as a computer you're half way to a Chromebook or a cheap Windows laptop. There's no reason to try and make this compromise right now...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

All very good points. Basically convinced me against doing that.

Sooo, new idea. Keep the Gnex and buy a chromebook? Hmm... not sure if I can afford both right now. I mean, it'd be kind of unnecessary at the moment.

I wouldnt buy a chromebook. Get a windows laptop since software is more readily available... Just my opinion but it makes more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by radimir View Post

Sooo, new idea. Keep the Gnex and buy a chromebook? Hmm... not sure if I can afford both right now. I mean, it'd be kind of unnecessary at the moment.
    well, that's up to you. Gnexus is a nice phone but nexus 4 is a bit better.

do the math and you decide if price is a concern.

scenario 1:
    if you buy just chromebook its $250 so the total cost is $250

scenario 2:
    if you sell gnexus for say $250 and buy nexus 4 which is $299 or $350. you pay 50 or 100 extra. total cost 50 or 100
    buy chrome for $250

scenario 2 is just $100 difference + tax and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by radimir View Post

Just go all in N4, N10, and a chromebook

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Get an older used Windows laptop for cheap, eg Amazon.com: Dell D620 Laptop Duo Core with Windows XP: Computers & Accessories
    I would find it difficult to get any real work done on anything but a full Windows machine with keyboard.

Using a phone is possible but it would be annoying to constantly setting up. On the other side you can use a tablet, like i am considering this for uni (or using mylappy were the coverings are destroyed.) having a tablet in a case with a built in keyboard on the case. It all is possible, its just not practical. Keep your phone for now and use a tablet, or a thin laptop... i hear that people have managed to make Android Mac Book air style laptops if they are good is a whole different story.

Personally if I was to get a Tablet or Laptop for work/study I would go with a Windows as its more set up, more programs e.g word etc.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune