Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AussieAndroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My case for the 8GB Nexus 4. Except one "but"

Pretty set on buying the phone immediately when the gates are opened on Tuesday.

I really don't use that much space on the phone at all. I currently have the Gnex with 16gb, and i have 11.83gb free. I don't put any music one it. Well, i have maybe 300mb of music one it. I have some pics, but i honestly don't take as many as I thought I would.
    Really really not into video games AT ALL. I downloaded a bike race game that i used to love to play online a hwile ago. I played it maybe 2 times.
    I never watch any movies on it. I use the phone for calling, txting, Flipboard, Reddit, lots of GPS navi and maps. Calendar, a few apps here and there, and web browsing to check stuff. All things that don't require a lot of storage space. I also really want to get into the whole cloud thing.

So the 8GB Nexus 4 makes perfect sense for a user like me. I know that after the OS and some other basic stuff installed it'll have closer to 6gb free space. I think maybe closer to 7gb. We'll see. And even that much space I don't think i'll hit the ceiling on.

However, there is one "but" in my mind.

I realized I'm going to be buying the latest Nexus phone when they come out and selling off the previous one. I feel that trying to sell an 8GB N4, amid a sea of most likely all being 16GB will affect my ability to resell it in the future.

What do you guys think?

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Default Re: My case for the 8GB Nexus 4. Except one "but"

I still can't decide. I don't put music, videos or take lots of pictures, so I should have no problem with 8GB, but I've never had a phone with this much flexibility (coming from a 9900, I barely used it).

Game time decision for me, 8 vs 16.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

If I were to be buying a used phone, I indeed would be looking at the higher capacity version of the phone, or I would take the cheapest I could find, so really the 8GB would have the least resell value, but it would definitely resell, depends on what you would be selling it for at that time compared to others trying to sell at that time.

8Gb n4 makes perfect sense to you "but" if you dont mind paying a little bit extra 16 gb might make it a bit future proof.

and as far as selling 8Gb, You can sell it. there will be ton of people like you who need only 8 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post
    I still can't decide. I don't put music, videos or take lots of pictures, so I should have no problem with 8GB, but I've never had a phone with this much flexibility (coming from a 9900, I barely used it).

Game time decision for me, 8 vs 16.
    same here looking at my old evo. i have a 8gb sd. 2 back ups, a tiny bit o music, and more apps than i use and I've still got 6.25Gb. so i should be fine. but i know if i ever do need it ima be kicking my self for not just spending the extra $50

Don't think the sale price down the road is going to be any more than just $50 less than what the 16GB will sell for.

Not to mention that the resale value is gonna be super low anyways. When these are being sold brand new at $299/$349, a year from now they won't be worth much if I had to guess. Just look at how the GNex resale value tanked with all of the Verizon models being sold cheap (or free) on contract and the GSM models being sold on the Play Store for $349.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

I really don't think for resell in a year from now that the 16gb will be 50$ more. More like 10-20$
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Decision time indeed.

I honestly can't think of any reason i would bundle up the phone. I like to use a separate / dedicated mp3 player for music. I stream music in my car through bluetooth from my phone sometimes, using tunein or something like that. Never packed on music. I also connect an mp3 player to the car as well.

Thinking about this now, my phone use is never in depth and long. I don't use trains or buses to commute, I have to use my car for work. And I can't read books or watch videos in the car, lol. Sometimes when i have some free time, and usually its like 5-10 min inbetween whatever it is i'm doing, i flip through Flipboard a bit, check email, send some txts and thats it.

Ughhh.. What can I possible ever need more storage space for? Should I spring for the 16 just to have that random protection/guarantee/insurance? Like If i ever possibly in need that much space? For what. somethign...

I have thought of using the phone as an mp3 player, but the battery wouldnt last long then. And i need that battery juice. However, whenever i'm in the car, which is really really often, i just put it on a charger.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radimir View Post
    Decision time indeed.

I honestly can't think of any reason i would bundle up the phone. I like to use a separate / dedicated mp3 player for music. I stream music in my car through bluetooth from my phone sometimes, using tunein or something like that. Never packed on music. I also connect an mp3 player to the car as well.

Thinking about this now, my phone use is never in depth and long. I don't use trains or buses to commute, I have to use my car for work. And I can't read books or watch videos in the car, lol. Sometimes when i have some free time, and usually its like 5-10 min inbetween whatever it is i'm doing, i flip through Flipboard a bit, check email, send some txts and thats it.

Ughhh.. What can I possible ever need more storage space for? Should I spring for the 16 just to have that random protection/guarantee/insurance? Like If i ever possibly in need that much space? For what. somethign...

I have thought of using the phone as an mp3 player, but the battery wouldnt last long then. And i need that battery juice. However, whenever i'm in the car, which is really really often, i just put it on a charger.
    I think if you can personally afford the extra $50 and not have to worry or think "but it's 50 more"...go with the 16 for piece of mind, won't have to manage files often, and will hold a better resale value (if you care about stuff like that).

I wouldn't worry about resale value. Its a tech gadget and going to be worth dirt when Google introduces their next NEXUS device.
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by radimir View Post
    I realized I'm going to be buying the latest Nexus phone when they come out and selling off the previous one. I feel that trying to sell an 8GB N4, amid a sea of most likely all being 16GB will affect my ability to resell it in the future.

What do you guys think?
    The net result is that the 8GB version is never going to be worth $50 less than the 16GB on the used market. In six months to a year, if you sell it that fast, you might recoup $25-30 of your $50 additional investment. In three years, you won't recoup anything.

I'd only spend the extra if you intend on holding on to the phone. You might find a use for an extra 8GB in a year or so. You certainly won't get $50 for it.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    I wouldn't worry about resale value. Its a tech gadget and going to be worth dirt when Google introduces their next NEXUS device.
    not true

Gnexs are still selling for $250-350 all over the net
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

yea I'm going with the 16gb...... waiting till 12am or 3am. we'll see.

Here's my case for getting an 8GB version:

They sold out of 16GB ones in about 20min.
    duke1231 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieAndroid View Post

Source?
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Source?
    Uhh, as in I was there clicking F5 with the rest of Australia trying to get one. Good enough?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AussieAndroid View Post

ditto, except i was F5ing it in the UK this morning.

after placing my 8GB order i hung around on play to see if any 16GB versions got hung up in shopping carts and would be sent back into inventory, but that doesn't look like it happened. oh well, i'll learn to live with 8GB.

i don't do much gaming so no need to store 1GB games like Six Guns. i can instant upload photos and videos to G+ to keep my photo/video storage needs to a minimum. Google Music's matching/cloud locker service will cover my personal mp3 collection. so that leaves my 6GB of offline Spotify music. it might fit but if it doesn't i won't cry over having to unsync a few playlists to keep that trim.

the other reason i'm feeling good about the 8GB is that this version, not the 16GB, is the real steal of a deal.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

AWSOME! I love the honesty :-) I am of the same thought

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I am going to using my iPhone, for any media consumption. Plus my car has the USB plug-in for my iPhone so no aux. or over the radio.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I also think they will restock 8g a lot faster than 16g, so if you miss the 8g, I am sure it will be back in a week

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I've been thinking about the 8GB version. I still have 11.5GB left on my gnex but that's only because I've avoided putted too much on it. If I had more space I'd use it. I don't mind spending the extra $50.00 for a 16Gb model.

You're right, the 8gb one is the real deal. That extra 8gb probably cost LG a couple dollars at most.
    I'm using 5.57gb on my Gnex....gonna shoot for the 8gb 4.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.