Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Default Re: Python script to notify you the minute the Nexus 4 page goes on sale

I'm using Chrome Page Monitor I haven't got any change notifications since the bumper case became available. Maybe your refresh interval is too short?

I'm in Canada btw.

Edit: I'm using 60 s interval.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Default Re: Python script to notify you the minute the Nexus 4 page goes on sale

Quote Originally Posted by firstness View Post
    I'm using Chrome Page Monitor I haven't got any change notifications since the bumper case became available. Maybe your refresh interval is too short?

I'm in Canada btw.

Edit: I'm using 60 s interval.
    Ya, not sure what keeps changing, but it hasn't changed ALL DAY and now it keeps sending emails. I am refreshing every 30 sec, and have been all day.

Maybe it's better just to parse the page and check for "Coming soon"?
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kanetheninja View Post
    Maybe it's better just to parse the page and check for "Coming soon"?
    nah, i'd leave it, it caught the bumper
    Google it.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

I'm using Chrome Page Monitor I haven't got any change notifications since the bumper case became available.
    Never mind, the yellow box just disappeared on me...
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Never mind, the yellow box just disappeared on me...
    id did for me too, but now its back.
    Google it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    id did for me too, but now its back.
    And now it seems gone....They are killing me.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

Sorry for spamming you all, but It is just because google keeps updating the page. I assume if you sent me your email you are OK with getting notified when Google changes the Nexus 4 8GB or 16GB page.

Thanks,
    Blake

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BCVisin View Post
    And now it seems gone....They are killing me.
    I wonder if this is the result of various google cloud servers receiving updates at different times. Perhaps once N4 sales go live, not everyone will be able to order straight away as they will still see the old page.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

I wonder if this is the result of various google cloud servers receiving updates at different times. Perhaps once N4 sales go live, not everyone will be able to order straight away as they will still see the old page.
    That is exactly what I was seeing. It would be a single MD5, then another, then the first, then the second again. I finally decided to check against a list of known MD5's and the spamming issue seems to have gone away.

Thanks BCVisin. i've just PM'd you my email. Is your script able to check Google Play Stores from different countries? May need a VPN connection for this.

Would greatly appreciate you adding my email dude, lcrisp6@gmail.com

How did you generate the md5 hash? This may be a n00b question but I thought md5 hash's were generated from a string. Did you simply copy the url source and get it that way? Thanks!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Quote Originally Posted by rshgator View Post
    How did you generate the md5 hash? This may be a n00b question but I thought md5 hash's were generated from a string. Did you simply copy the url source and get it that way? Thanks!
    So the python class method urllib.urlopen() returns a file like object of the URL page. I then assign it to a variable string by calling the read() method on that object. So yes, it is reading the entire source of the page as a string. I then use hashlib to get an MD5 of the source of that page, and compare it against a known MD5 of that page. If it changed, something in the HTML source changed. This will likely not work on pages who's source is changed dynamically by javascript, but in this case google changed the source of the pages as soon as it went on sale. I as well as the others that I sent the email to got notified as soon (within 30 seconds as I had this in a 30 second loop) as the N4 came on sale. It worked! I got mine in the first batch shipped out since I got notified less than a minute after the page changed.

Reference:
    20.5. urllib ? Open arbitrary resources by URL — Python v2.7.3 documentation
    14.1. hashlib ? Secure hashes and message digests — Python v2.7.3 documentation

-Blake

Just added this to my crontab

MAILTO=you@youremail.com
    */20 * * * * curl -s 'https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb' | grep 'Sold out' > /dev/null || echo "NEXUS ON SALE!"

Maybe it would be more efficient if your script just searched for "We are out of inventory" on the nexus pages and report when it does NOT show up any more? You'll be immune to other changes that way.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123