• 1 Post By natehoy
  • 1 Post By Fairclough
  • 1 Post By xKrNMBoYx
  • 1 Post By jwl3429
  • 1 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NEXUS noob Question re: contract free purchase

Hello Android Community!

I have a question that is probably very basic for most of you regarding purchasing a phone without a contract. I have never been so lucky as to own a Nexus phone and have decided that the N4 w/o a contract is the best way to go. The situation is this:

I am currently on a T-mobile 2-year contract that ends in December. Can I just purchase the N4 and throw in the SIM card and continue to pay until the fulfillment of my 2-year with T-mobile? After my 2-year is up, what will be my relationship with T-mobile? Do I just pay a month-to-month fee with them for a data plan?

Also, I have convinced my girlfriend that she needs this phone (also convinced her to get a N7 and she loves it). She is currently on a Verizon 2-year that is up at the end of the month. What is the best way for her to proceed?

Thanks for your responses in advance! Happy N4 day
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: NEXUS n00b Question re: contract free purchase

Yep, you can do that with ease, just cut your sim card or get them to give you a new micro sim.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akrau82 View Post
    I am currently on a T-mobile 2-year contract that ends in December. Can I just purchase the N4 and throw in the SIM card and continue to pay until the fulfillment of my 2-year with T-mobile?
    Yes.

After my 2-year is up, what will be my relationship with T-mobile? Do I just pay a month-to-month fee with them for a data plan?
    You'll be month-to-month.

Also, I have convinced my girlfriend that she needs this phone (also convinced her to get a N7 and she loves it). She is currently on a Verizon 2-year that is up at the end of the month. What is the best way for her to proceed?
    Find out the exact contract end date. Buy her the Nexus 4. On the end date, port the line to T-Mobile.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Yes, buy the nexus 4 and pop in a sim card and you're all set. Once your contract is up you'll pay month to month. Have your girlfriend wait until her contract is up then buy the nexus 4 for the off contract price and use whatever plan she wants on TMobile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

In your case, yes, you should be able to simply remove the SIM from your current phone and, assuming it will fit in the T-Mo phone, jack it in to the T-Mo phone and Bob's your uncle. You may have to fiddle with a few settings to get the Internet access point set, but it shouldn't be a big deal. If the SIM does not fit, you should be able to go to any T-Mo store and ask for a new SIM programmed to your account. They should be able to do that for free or for a very nominal fee (some phone companies charge a few bucks for new SIMs). You are still obligated to fulfill your 2-year contract, but not necessarily on the phone they gave or discounted for you. You should be able to resell your old phone at any time, just check with them to see if they need to do anything on their end before it is reused on their network.

For your girlfriend's phone, she can get the N4 at any time and simply sign up for service with a new GSM carrier (T-Mo, AT&T, StraightTalk, whatever). Most will be able to port her phone number over, or near the end of her Verizon contract she may be able to port her number to a Google Voice number, which can then be forwarded to the cell number on her new account (that way, her phone number follows her no matter what cell carrier she might move to in the future).
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I am on Verizon with a contract end date of Dec 2013, i will be dropping my data plan $30 and getting on t mobiles $30 prepaid plan then when my contract expires i will port my number, you could do something like that for her as well. might be easier to wait since her contract is up at the end of the month.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3429 View Post
    I am on Verizon with a contract end date of Dec 2013, i will be dropping my data plan $30 and getting on t mobiles $30 prepaid plan then when my contract expires i will port my number, you could do something like that for her as well. might be easier to wait since her contract is up at the end of the month.
    You're going to pay for both for the next ~13 months?
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks y'all. Very helpful. Very much looking forward to my first NEXUS phone.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3429 View Post
    How much is your ETF and what phone do you have? I think Verizon's starts at $350 and drops by $10 each moth, so if you've had the plan for 10 months it should be $250. If you're going to carry that account for another year and two months (14 months) that ETF works out to $17 a month over the two years. If you are paying more than $17 a month for the service, it's probably worth terminating the account ASAP, paying the ETF, and selling the phone on the used market to recoup most or all of that ETF cost.
    Thanked by:

On contract you can use that sim on a unlocked phone.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    Thanked by:

Default Re: NEXUS noob Question re: contract free purchase

You can just buy the phone and slip in the sim card and youre good to go. Now if you wanted to do this while mot paying for your two year contract then you would have a problem.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I have a family plan with 5 lines so if a drop my data and add the tmobile it is not extra cost i just have 2 lines to use.
    Thanked by:

Thanks y'all. Very helpful. Very much looking forward to my first NEXUS phone.
    I'm glad you got the answers you were looking for.
    There's really good people here. Sometimes as an employee here, I forget about all the good that happens (because I'm stuck looking after the bad lol) in our forums. Everyone in this thread makes me happy that I hitched my wagon to AC

Thanks guys!
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    Jaredshoes likes this.