AT&T Activation

jbmeicher

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Over the weekend I picked up a microsim from my local AT&T store and shot the with the guy in there telling him how i was planning on ordering the n4 on release day. He was trying to sell me on the optimus, but after a while he backed off realizing my mind was set.

His big selling point (other than the phones being the exact same) was him saying that i could walk out of the store with a fully functioning optimus that night, with the nexus not only would i have to wait for it to be shipped but he said that even with the microsim card in place there may be issues with the mobile data.

Does anyone have experience buying other unlocked phones and having your data work/not work? I would hate to finally get my nexus in the mail, pop in my sim, and have issues right out of the gate. Waiting in line and having to deal with an employee at the AT&T store to get my unlocked phone activated kind of seems like it defeats the purpose of buying an unlocked device. Am i completely off the mark here?

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Over the weekend I picked up a microsim from my local AT&T store and shot the with the guy in there telling him how i was planning on ordering the n4 on release day. He was trying to sell me on the optimus, but after a while he backed off realizing my mind was set.

His big selling point (other than the phones being the exact same) was him saying that i could walk out of the store with a fully functioning optimus that night, with the nexus not only would i have to wait for it to be shipped but he said that even with the microsim card in place there may be issues with the mobile data.

Does anyone have experience buying other unlocked phones and having your data work/not work? I would hate to finally get my nexus in the mail, pop in my sim, and have issues right out of the gate. Waiting in line and having to deal with an employee at the AT&T store to get my unlocked phone activated kind of seems like it defeats the purpose of buying an unlocked device. Am i completely off the mark here?

You should not have any issues. He probably was talking to the fact that some phones don't support all of their bands, so you'd run into issues there. That's my guess.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
He just gets a commission if you buy an Optimus G from him, so he wants you to buy that.

The Nexus 4 will work just fine. The only tweaking you may have to do is an APN change and/or call them to have your account properly provisioned for HSPA+. AT&T does weird things with provisioning depending on whether your device is LTE or HSPA+.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I contacted AT&T and they told me once I had the phone to go in to get everything set up from my GS3. Can I just take out the sim from the GS3 and put in into the N4 without going into the AT&T store or do I have to go in since the GS3 was LTE and change some stuff around on my account?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
He is right in the sense that it is virtually the same phone. You don't get pure Android but you get LTE. plus you get a micro SD Card slot.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

TinaVane

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to go to the at&t store and get a sim card and wait for the phone in the mail ? And does googleplay have one day delivery ?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I switch back and forth between phones with my LTE micro SIM all the time. All I've ever had to do was setup the APN on the unlocked phones and they work.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to go to the at&t store and get a sim card and wait for the phone in the mail ? And does googleplay have one day delivery ?

If you haven't started service with them yet, you're gonna have to go get a SIM and get started with all of that. If you already have a line, you can ask them for a new SIM.

Yes, then wait for the phone in the mail. They don't have overnight, just 2-day.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Sounds to me like that guy used to be a car salesman.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma