Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By reign831
  • 1 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 3 Post By reign831
  • 2 Post By bunique4life05
  • 1 Post By reign831
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default anyone concerned about the glass back? One review said it cracked on him

I hope this is not an issue, 'cause I want to order one of these babies, but in this review:
    Nexus 4 review | The Verge

the guy says he only knocked it off his coffee table and it cracked the back case.

Please don't say all I have to do is not knock it off of anything. I try to be careful with my stuff, but stuff happens anyway.

What do you think, is this going to be an issue or not?

Thanks

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Default Re: anyone concerned about the glass back? One review said it cracked on him

Quote Originally Posted by mgh24 View Post
    I hope this is not an issue, 'cause I want to order one of these babies, but in this review:

the guy says he only knocked it off his coffee table and it cracked the back case.

Please don't say all I have to do is not knock it off of anything. I try to be careful with my stuff, but stuff happens anyway.

Thanks
    Seriously, another thread like this?

Come on guys.

Stop asking questions that CANNOT be answered right now.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts

Default Re: anyone concerned about the glass back? One review said it cracked on him

LMAO... seriously... There's soooooo many duplicate threads.. Mods should clean/merge/delete some.. it's getting crazy around here!!!!!!!

Its glass...yes it can break when you drop it. From the reviewers that have dropped it, the damage wasn't that big of a deal. It cracked but the crack was very small, check out TheVerge's crack...its tiny. Other then that we don't know anything until we get it ourselves.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Guys I'm going to be buying a basketball soon.

I've heard rumors that sometimes the basketball will slowly deflate over time.

I'm not sure if I want to buy one now because I don't want to take this risk.

Please respond soon.

One guy cracks his phone by dropping it on a kitchen floor and you extrapolate that to being worried about the entire line?
    It's $#@%#$@^ Gorilla Glass 2, the most modern iteration of the strongest glass made for phones. Do you think Google/LG would use crappy glass?

People are excited and concerned. Let them be.

The front of my phone is glass. Should I be concerned about it breaking? How would you suggest I protect my screen from drops?

My wife dropped her iPhone 4, I stuck my foot out and it landed on top of my shoe face down then bounced off my shoe and landed perfectly flat on it's back. The back was shattered into to many pieces to count and many were incredibly sharp. So long as the back of the Nexus 4 can survive a similar event better and not cost me $80 bucks to repair I'll be very happy.

I see it like this. There's about 6,000 people worldwide using Nexus 4s. I know about 12 people with one.

It's also the same glass composite (Duarte mentioned Gorilla Glass2, but LG doesn't mention the back when they say the front is GG2) that is used on the Optimus G. Thousands of people also are using those (including myself).

Not seeing reports about broken glass in any numbers.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Ziptied likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,027 Global Posts

glass breaks.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    bunique4life05 likes this.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    glass breaks.
    BREAKING NEWS

haha get it...breaking...i'll be here all week
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    glass breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by reignx777 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS

haha get it...breaking...i'll be here all week
    I am cracking up...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and six8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    My wife dropped her iPhone 4, I stuck my foot out and it landed on top of my shoe face down then bounced off my shoe and landed perfectly flat on it's back. The back was shattered into to many pieces to count and many were incredibly sharp. So long as the back of the Nexus 4 can survive a similar event better and not cost me $80 bucks to repair I'll be very happy.
    The iPhone glas can literally kill someone! But meh I don't see the big deal in glas. I mean, whether you have a huge dent in your aluminium back or a crack in the glas back, what the hell's the difference?! Not to mention that plastic can crack as well....

Quote Originally Posted by mgh24 View Post

Thanks
    Yep, it sure is. I prefer not to have a glass back and it is a concern for me so im going to wait to see reviews of actual users in everyday life first to see the battery life and how well the glass holds up.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Why do you think Google is selling a bumper? Help prevent breakage and improve signal strength duh

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Why do you think Google is selling a bumper? Help prevent breakage and improve signal strength duh

Bumper cases are what are trendy and fashionable in designer mobile accessories...duh

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post

LOL...i dont think a bumper is going to prevent breakage. Its just for grip but the N4 is supposed to have a nic grip on the sides already.

I've had an iPhone 4 and 4S (and 3G and currently have a 5)... never broke the back or front glass. I also never drop my phones.....

If you're a natural f-up and constantly destroy your own property then I can see a glass backed phone not being for you. Take care of your stuff. Possibly treat something you spend several hundred dollars on somewhat carefully.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by thundersome View Post
    If you're a natural f-up and constantly destroy your own property then I can see a glass backed phone not being for you. Take care of your stuff. Possibly treat something you spend several hundred dollars on somewhat carefully.
    Too much common sense in this post.

Somebody throw this guy into the lion pit.
    DirkBelig likes this.

Dream on. If you buy it, it will break.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I've had my Nexus 4 for over a week now, fully NAKED. I've ridden all over NYC on a bike with it daily in my jacket pocket. If it's not in my hands or pocket it's resting on a flat surface charging and I have yet to get a single scuff, nick, dent or scratch thus far.

I baby my devices and have never had a cracked, scratched or otherwise non-mint-condition screen even after years of use... So I really wonder about some of these fat fingered, careless folk that think if they drop or otherwise abuse their devices why it SHOULDN'T break, lol.

If you've got sweaty palms, are careless, haphazard or otherwise not extremely careful with your devices you need to buy a suitable CASE & SCREEN PROTECTOR INCLUDING A BACK SCREEN PROTECTOR if the case doesn't protect the whole back.

It's that simple. If you don't, you're taking a huge gamble & have no one else to blame for your device breaking but you.

Sent from my Nexus 4