Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Is it true that (under no LTE conditions) the Nexus 4 browser performs more slowly/worse than other comparable phones like the S3, Iphone 5, etc?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    If Chrome for Android is as bad as the PC version then yes.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    Is it true that (under no LTE conditions) the Nexus 4 browser performs more slowly/worse than other comparable phones like the S3, Iphone 5, etc?
    Let me pull out my figurative Nexus that I theoretically may have. Hmm.. Nope browser seems like it's working to me.
  4. #4  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    Is it true that (under no LTE conditions) the Nexus 4 browser performs more slowly/worse than other comparable phones like the S3, Iphone 5, etc?
    How about you wait till people on the forum ACTUALLY HAVE THE DEVICE before you ask.

    Come on people. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
  5. #5  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    If Chrome for Android is as bad as the PC version then yes.
    What version of chrome are you using lol. Chrome for PC rocks.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    I don't know what version is, all I know is that it chokes on .Gifs and youtube videos.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    If Chrome for Android is as bad as the PC version then yes.
    chrome for PC is the best browser ever. chrome for Android is not the best. but dont forget its only released 6 months ago. it will improve.
  8. #8  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I don't know what version is, all I know is that it chokes on .Gifs and youtube videos.
    Then that's probably your computer or internet connection
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I don't know what version is, all I know is that it chokes on .Gifs and youtube videos.
    hard to believe its chrome!! I was a die hard IE fan untill 1 and half year ago.
    then i tried Chrome. never turned back. I still try new versions of IE. chrome still fast and secure.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I don't know what version is, all I know is that it chokes on .Gifs and youtube videos.
    If this happens only on first animation loop it means it's your connection problem.
  11. #11  
    TinaVane's Avatar

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    chrome on my pc works fast
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by TinaVane View Post
    chrome on my pc works fast
    Same here. Chrome only stutters around on my Nexus 7 from time to time.

    Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini
  13. #13  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    932 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.3

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    Is it true that (under no LTE conditions) the Nexus 4 browser performs more slowly/worse than other comparable phones like the S3, Iphone 5, etc?
    Benchmarks for the N4 have been lower than the iPhone 5 and some other Android phones, yes. Then again, the reviews that post the benchmarks also say the phone seems plenty fast and they don't notice a difference. Consider this: if you were in a plane going 520mph, would you be able to tell the difference if it slowed to 500mph? Unless you are a pilot intimately familiar with how your plane feels at the faster speed, probably not. I'm willing to say the same thing applies here. Don't get too hung up on numbers.
  14. #14  
    mzanette's Avatar
    Zee

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    I get the highest browsermark score with Chrome for PC so yeah, it's good.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    I cannot imagine that the Chrome browser on the N4 will be slow, one of the features and benefits given about the N4 is the speed of its processor. This I can only imagine would translate to the speed of the browser as well. If you think about the business model of Google they are basically giving you the phone so that you can spend more time online in which they can display more impressions to you and get more click throughs which is how Google makes its money. Making this phone with anything but a lightning fast browser would be counter-productive to their business plan.

    As far as the speed of the Chrome browser on devices like a PC, it sounds like you are experienceing latency from your ISP. I have clocked my browser speeds using Firefox and Chrome and Chrome has been the fastest in all tests. I also utilize Googles Shared DNS servers which also provide additional speed. At home I have Googles DNS set statically in my router so all my devices can utilize the service and the increased speeds.
  16. #16  
    mzanette's Avatar
    Zee

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Nexus 4 Browser Slower than all other Current Android Phones and iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenDavidson View Post
    I cannot imagine that the Chrome browser on the N4 will be slow, one of the features and benefits given about the N4 is the speed of its processor. This I can only imagine would translate to the speed of the browser as well. If you think about the business model of Google they are basically giving you the phone so that you can spend more time online in which they can display more impressions to you and get more click throughs which is how Google makes its money. Making this phone with anything but a lightning fast browser would be counter-productive to their business plan.

    As far as the speed of the Chrome browser on devices like a PC, it sounds like you are experienceing latency from your ISP. I have clocked my browser speeds using Firefox and Chrome and Chrome has been the fastest in all tests. I also utilize Googles Shared DNS servers which also provide additional speed. At home I have Googles DNS set statically in my router so all my devices can utilize the service and the increased speeds.
    Chrome on the N4 won't be "slow" but there are faster browsers you can use instead of Chrome. Dolphin for one outperforms Chrome (at least on my Nexus 7)

Similar Threads

  1. Is the stock browser faster than Chrome for everybody else?
    By doomtuba in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
  3. Why is the Thunderbolt any better than any other droid?
    By moneymike47 in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
  4. Why is the Thunderbolt any better than any other droid?
    By moneymike47 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
  5. Nexus S is the same or worse than Nexus One...
    By patfactorx in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions