View Poll Results: High demand or low supply

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Demand

    5 11.90%
  • Low supply

    16 38.10%
  • Combination of Both

    21 50.00%
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default High demand..or low supply?

    So what do you guys think..think google had a seriously high demand for this phone or they just produced a low supply?
    Interesting enough the N10 did not sell out or the N7 3G though they each released the same day as well as the chromebooks.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    So what do you guys think..think google had a seriously high demand for this phone or they just produced a low supply?
    Interesting enough the N10 did not sell out or the N7 3G though they each released the same day as well as the chromebooks.
    What difference does it make? The end result is the same.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    While the demand may have been higher than Google was expecting, it's doubtful that it was anything significant. Outside of the ubergeeks like ourselves, very few people are even aware of this phone's existence. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people who own an iPhone 5 than who know about the Nexus 4.

    I'd say this was the result of poor planning, manufacturing issues, or an artificial shortage.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    You forgot an option:

    HORRIBLE Preparation.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatron View Post
    While the demand may have been higher than Google was expecting, it's doubtful that it was anything significant. Outside of the ubergeeks like ourselves, very few people are even aware of this phone's existence. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people who own an iPhone 5 than who know about the Nexus 4.

    I'd say this was the result of poor planning, manufacturing issues, or an artificial shortage.
    I'd say you are very wrong about that. I've linked SD a few times now that shows there is very high interest in the phone. Not to mention it hit twitter and obviously its a big deal there.

    They obviously didn't have millions of these to go around, but there was a high demand for the phone and I think it was less about planning and more about them just not being able to get enough made to meet the demand.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    its both. They probably dont have many ready to ship and they are plenty of people wanting the phone. We arent talking iphone like numbers but still even if they had 50K it wouldnt take that long to sell out probably
    ~Matt
    Nexus 4 & Nook HD+ and lots of other goodies
    www.twitter.com/howarmat
  7. #7  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    They bungled this. I can accept that they may not have had enough laying around to sell to everyone that wanted one(or two). I can not see how not telling your customers exactly WHEN you'll be selling is a good idea. Also, the problems with Google Wallet are/were excusable, it's that part of Google's job to take money and they weren't able to handle it.

    The more I think about it, the more I think Google might need to stay out of the hardware and payment businesses.

    Today, Google sucked.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    I'd say you are very wrong about that. I've linked SD a few times now that shows there is very high interest in the phone. Not to mention it hit twitter and obviously its a big deal there.

    They obviously didn't have millions of these to go around, but there was a high demand for the phone and I think it was less about planning and more about them just not being able to get enough made to meet the demand.
    Yes, a lot of interest amongst other "ubergeeks". You gotta realize that this community makes up a very small percentage of the market. If you were to go to the mall and asked random people, your perception of how high the interest is would be greatly lowered.

    Compare the interest to the other product that was released today, Black Ops 2. How do you think the Nexus 4 compares? If Best Buy had a midnight launch of the Nexus 4, how long do you think the line would be compared to Black Ops 2's? And what if the iPhone 5 was also released today instead of a couple months ago, how long would that line be? Or how about the line for the Twilight movie coming out?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    They bungled this. I can accept that they may not have had enough laying around to sell to everyone that wanted one(or two). I can not see how not telling your customers exactly WHEN you'll be selling is a good idea. Also, the problems with Google Wallet are/were excusable, it's that part of Google's job to take money and they weren't able to handle it.

    The more I think about it, the more I think Google might need to stay out of the hardware and payment businesses.

    Today, Google sucked.
    I agree they are bad at selling things, but they make great products and for that reason alone they should not be leaving the business. Not only that but they give them to us at an insanely great price. So while I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get one of these early on, I don't see a reason why they should be leaving this business when other companies have the same problems with high demand items.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatron View Post
    Yes, a lot of interest amongst other "ubergeeks". You gotta realize that this community makes up a very small percentage of the market. If you were to go to the mall and asked random people, your perception of how high the interest is would be greatly lowered.

    Compare the interest to the other product that was released today, Black Ops 2. How do you think the Nexus 4 compares? If Best Buy had a midnight launch of the Nexus 4, how long do you think the line would be compared to Black Ops 2's? And what if the iPhone 5 was also released today instead of a couple months ago, how long would that line be? Or how about the line for the Twilight movie coming out?
    Just because its a small percentage of the market doesn't mean its not a high percentage. Heck, I bet there are more ppl in the world who HATE Twilight but there are still going to be lines to see it. Same with Black Ops 2, its gonna sell a STUPID amount of copies yet its just a niche item.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: High demand..or low supply?

    very poor supply. I only knew two people who wanted to buy this, and that's including myself.

    I'm not sure if it's artificial, or if that'd be even smart. For many of us who stayed up late, then woke up early, aren't too happy with Google. We'll still buy the phone, but be much less excited about it. It's not the fact that it sold out; it's the terrible user experience. If it had me on a preorder, and said "two more weeks", that'd been fine. I'm certain I'll still buy the phone, but almost as certain that when people ask me about it, this will, impact my feedback. -Not my objective criticisms and praises of the device, but my emotional feelings about the device (as In do I love it, hate it, like it, tolerate it, want to smash it, etc...)

Similar Threads

  1. Deep sleep Percentages...high or low
    By Bluelens in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
  2. Low supply levels deliberate?
    By capncurly in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
  3. Verizon extremely high demand? Cannot even check my TB account.
    By Kronko in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
  4. Youtube: Wifi high quality / 3G low quality
    By TripSixes in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM

Posting Permissions

B