Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why Sell Your iPhone for the Nexus 4?

WIth the camera being so much better on iPhone 5 and many other reasons, why would anyone want to git rid of their iPhone for the Nexus4?

Global Posts
    4,375 Global Posts

Default Re: Why Sell Your iPhone for the Nexus 4?

Who says you have to get rid of your iPhone? i have an iPhone 5 and totally intend on keeping it and have a Nexus 4.

I have had the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4, and currently have the iPhone 5. This morning I purchased the N4, my first android phone. I have grown tired of Apple. iOS is almost the exact same as when it came out 5 years ago, it gets "new" features about a year after android, and it can not be customized. The only thing I am going to miss about my iPhone is the money that I have invested in apps over the past 5 years. The apps are the reason it took me so long to break off and get an android. I hope the N4 is as great as I think it will be and look forward to getting it on "November 15th" as long as google gets their act together and ships soon.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Just used my upgrade on the iPhone 5 and then sold it. More than enough to pay for the better phone (N4) . Win win

I am, but I have a 4s.

I have an iPhone 5 and plan on keeping it too. This is my third attempt at an Android device alongside having an iPhone. I hope this can finally break me free from iPhone. It's so incredibly stale to me now. The build quality is great but it's still a boring looking phone IMO and iOS is the biggest factor in me trying to switch. The last two Android phones I've tried were all pre Jelly Bean and Project Butter which the glitchy/jerky/laggy motions of navigating through the OS and browser were all things that kept me coming back to my iPhone. I hope this can finally get me away from the locked down BS Apple loves to do. If I like the N4 enough I may even sell my iP5. They're going about 800ish on eBay right now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    WIth the camera being so much better on iPhone 5 and many other reasons, why would anyone want to git rid of their iPhone for the Nexus4?
    SRSLY? One word: "Maps."

But really, it's not about the camera. It's not even about iOS vs. Android. It's about price, lock-in (lack of it with the N4), control, and frequent updates. Camera, shmamera. If you're hung up on the phone-cam, keep the dang iCrap.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    KenDavidson likes this.

I still have the iPhone 4, it is off contract with AT&T and I already listed it on eBay last week. I would have switched long ago but with phones like the Captivate as my Android device I was less than impressed and to ensure I had an operational phone continued with the iPhone line up. Now, after using JB 4.1 and 4.1.1 on my N7 I know the OS is stable and being pure google I am not wanting to go back into a contract. Good bye to iPhone and hello Nexus.

I will have to stay with AT&T as in my area T-Mobile does not offer coverage or even 3G in most areas I travel locally. AT&T will have to remain my carrier and I am hopeful the HSPA+ speeds are decent.
    ChromeJob likes this.

As someone with an iPhone 4 that I like a lot who is a fan of the iPhone 5...

1. Something different + bigger screen + I think I like android more as an OS + tethering
    2. PRICE
    (N4 + 2 years service on T-Mo is going to cost me around $1100. You CANNOT pay less than $2000 for an iPhone 5 over two years)

I'm not sure which phone I'd choose if they were the same price. But with the iPhone 5 costing almost double over the contract length... it is an absolute no-brainer.

I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon and am also a fan of the iPhone 5. The normal course would be to simply upgrade to the 5 and all it's goodness.

But the iPhone 5 isn't really different from the 4 or 4s aside from the LTE. My 4 runs the same software and everything that I need it to do. The 5 is simply taller, but otherwise looks the same. In short, it's not worth it.

My eyes were opened when I got a Nexus 7 to carry and use at work. My ipad 3 is simply too big for what I want. In the past I've found Android to be confusing, clunky and lacking in software. But JB 4.1 surprised me. It is polished, smooth and responsive. And more importantly, I can tailor it to exactly to how I use it. IOS still, for all intents and purposes, looks as it did when introduced.

All of the innovation is occurring in Android. Google Now blows Siri away in its usefulness and responsiveness. I was seriously disappointed when Apple chose to omit NFC from the iPhone 5. NFC has tremendous possibilities that are only now being developed. It's not just for point of sale purchase. I use the NFC on my Nexus 7 multiple times a day and see the possibilities for this technology. I like the Nexus clean/pure environment.

So, that's why I chose to get a Nexus 4. I'll hold onto the iPhone and use them concurrently for a while, then make a final decision.

Android vs IOS debates are so tiresome. Both have positives, both have negatives, just decide what phone works for you and stop annoying the rest of us about it!
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How many iPhone threads is the itroll going to make? Lmao.
    Google it.
    Ricky2009 likes this.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Cortez View Post
    I have had the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4, and currently have the iPhone 5. This morning I purchased the N4, my first android phone. I have grown tired of Apple. iOS is almost the exact same as when it came out 5 years ago, it gets "new" features about a year after android, and it can not be customized. The only thing I am going to miss about my iPhone is the money that I have invested in apps over the past 5 years. The apps are the reason it took me so long to break off and get an android. I hope the N4 is as great as I think it will be and look forward to getting it on "November 15th" as long as google gets their act together and ships soon.
    Going through the same struggle right now but haven't made the next step to buying the android yet. Very close though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    How many iPhone threads is the itroll going to make? Lmao.
    Take a look at OP's other posts before the big "j'accuse, troll" claim. I'm not so sure it's not a genuine question. AC's asking similar posits in site polls.
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by jshultz89 View Post
    Going through the same struggle right now but haven't made the next step to buying the android yet. Very close though.
    Let give you a nudge.

GOOGLE MAPS ARE BETTER THAN EVER.

if i wanted a camera i'd buy a dslr. i want a phone with a great OS

With all due respect to OP, the cameras on N4 and iPhone5 are close enough that the photographer makes more of a difference than the camera quality. It's certainly no reason to not get an N4.

My N4 is a breath of fresh and much better air than with my iphone 4S. The 5 is quicker and a little bigger, but I find the N4 (my first android device) to be a superior experience.

Michael
    ps, I'm a photographer
    Thanked by:

I too am a convert from iPhone 4 to Galaxy Nexus. I bought the used Nexus more than a month ago and like it so far. There are some things that I still need work, some apps look like scaled versions, so its not as crisp. Overall I think I can live with Android. Google hangout video quality is not as good as the Facetime, camera on the GNex is not as good. Battery life is bad compared to iPhone 4. GPS lock on the GNex is not as good as the iPhone 4 or my wife's iPhone 5.

I am thinking of getting iPhone 5 and sell it to fund my Nexus 4 purchase. But the battery life reviews on it is whats holding me back. I want real world assessment of what kind of battery life people are getting from the Nexus 4. Also I would like to wait to get after a few production runs are in so that bugs in the phone mfg/assly process are worked out. I don't like to be the first one to get new products.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

I have the iphone 4s, while it's a great phone, it's becoming really boring, the screen is not big enough (ip 5 is also not big enough) and imho apple is falling behind innovation wise, I want to get something new, as getting another iphone would/will be a waste of money imo. GN4 looks like a great phone, don't really care about the price, would be happy to buy it for 400-500 (if google was selling it at that price)
    Exergy likes this.

My iPhone 4s is on the trading selling block. I have both the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4s. I love both. It's the point where I really decide which one is better. But now with the LG N4 on the way, I'm going to get rid of both the iPhone 4s and Galaxy Nexus.

Better be careful, Apple invented saying ridiculous things. I smell lawsuit.

But seriously my buddy is a huge Apple guy and i love android. Every time we get together we at some point have a 5 min pissing match comparing the features of our phones. It's actually pretty even and it all comes down to preference.

Because the nexus is a better phone, it's the only reason.

And what are the supposed many other reasons?

It's more reasons to get a nexus than an iPhone 5 - a phone that would have been great if released 2 years ago

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Global Posts
    1,710 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

In addition to just really liking the Nexus devices, the main thing with me is I'm a geek and like to change and tinker with things. Android is just fun and different and I love the customization. I've had the Iphone 4 and 5. IOS is boring and I grew tired of the Iphone 5 quickly just like I have in the past with my prevoius Iphone's. Having an Ipad doesn't help because it feels like just a bigger version of the same thing. I can comfortably do more with it because of the bigger screen.

I also love the bigger screens on the Android phones and the 4" on the Iphone 5 still wasn't enough for me.

If I were not so into phones I would probably stick with the Iphone. It does everything I need and just works with no issues. I think that's why it's so popular with the everyday user. I can count on one hand the amount of times a app has force closed on me.

I also got a lot of money selling the Iphone 5. Enough to buy a Nexus 4 & 10.

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    ... I also got a lot of money selling the Iphone 5. Enough to buy a Nexus 4 & 10.
    :what:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    :what:
    The off-contract price of the 16GB iPhone5 is $650. Let's say someone on contract dropped theirs and needs a replacement. They'd probably happily buy one for $500 if it was in really good condition.

$300 N4 8GB + $200 N7 16GB = $500.

So, yeah, I could easily see selling a gently-used iPhone 5 for more than enough to buy a Nexus 4 AND 7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast