Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Default Am I the only one holding out for more memory?

I owned the Nexus One back in the day, loved it for a long time. Then jumped ship to apple and got an iPhone 4, then an iPhone 4s. But now I am beyond bored with the never updating iOS and the horrible direction apple is heading in with their mobile market. Anyway, I would LOVE an N4, get back to my Android and Google roots, but I can not rationalize buying a 16gb phone with no expandable memory. I take a lot of pictures and use spotify extensively. Between those two I take up over 30GBs on my iPhone. The memory is a real deal breaker for me.

All this hype of the sell out is tempting but I need to hold off.

When do you think Google will make a 32gb/64gb N4? Am I the only one holding out here?

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Am I the only one holding out for more memory?

I'd take a Nexus 4 of any size at this point.
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Eric Mazariegos likes this.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

This all comes down to personal preference...I take tons of photos with the iP5 also prior with the 4S and I just clear out my Photostream monthly (import what I want to iPhoto). There are ways on Android to dump photos on the go. Drive, Dropbox, Google+ etc....

16 is fine with all the cloud services available (for me of course)

Also, I can always sell the 16 if and when a 32 comes available (if even needed)

bang bang
    Exergy likes this.

Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

I seriously doubt we'll see a 64GB model but like with the Nexus 7, more than likely we'll see the 8GB model get sh!t canned and the 16GB discounted to $299 and 32GB for $349.

I would also like to have a 32GB because I also download my Spotify playlists model but 16GB will have to do for now.

I just want the 16gb as i am phoneless at the moment. I don't mind about a 32gb
    » Tom Fairclough «
    » Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae «
    » I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune «

I'm waiting for the bigger size a la Nexus 7, or Play/Wallet credit, gratis shipping, or some other promotion. It'll happen, trust me.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

If you're gonna make no SD Card slot at least ship with 64gb, 16gb and no SD Card slot! *Where's the thumbs down icon*

If only someone had brought up the small memory issue BEFORE this phone went on sale!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    MrVivekB likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    If only someone had brought up the small memory issue BEFORE this phone went on sale!
    lol
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Why doesn't Google and other wireless phone makers ASK THE CONSUMER how much space they want before they set things like that?

I think a phone maker would be very successful if they polled users on and off carriers and made a phone with the things the poll revealed were wanted.

Even if they only released 3 phones a year, include the features people want and watch it sell quicker than 2 dollar crack

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    I'm waiting for the bigger size a la Nexus 7, or Play/Wallet credit, gratis shipping, or some other promotion. It'll happen, trust me.
    I personally wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Why doesn't Google and other wireless phone makers ASK THE CONSUMER how much space they want before they set things like that?
    A. Because everyone is going to say they want 128GB.
    B. Does Google appear to be hurting for sales of this unit? Sounds like they UNDERESTIMATED demand, not the other way.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    yfan likes this.

In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like. I have moved over to using Google’s Cloud based solutions for some time and now really enjoy the convenience and ease of their use. I have access to all of my data regardless of where I am at as long as I have an internet connection and a portal to get online. I use the Google+ app to upload all my photos too, which is a lot, and never have to worry about lost or missing pictures. All of my documents, important data is stored on Drive and I can access it all from any device.

I was grandfathered in with 100 GB of data storage for a ridiculously low yearly cost.

I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.

From a business perspective Google wants you to use their Cloud based solutions to keep you from churning to another provider. Once all your data is there it would be very cumbersome to try to move it to another provider. If it was all on your phone you could easily move away from Google. I personally do not mind using Google, they offer great cutting edge technology and don't lock me into their system with open sourcing. It's a win win for all involved. It may be an adjustment to change your current storage thoughts but it works and provides greater efficiency in the end.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    daniel2744Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by KenDavidson View Post
    In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like. I have moved over to using Google’s Cloud based solutions for some time and now really enjoy the convenience and ease of their use. I have access to all of my data regardless of where I am at as long as I have an internet connection and a portal to get online. I use the Google+ app to upload all my photos too, which is a lot, and never have to worry about lost or missing pictures. All of my documents, important data is stored on Drive and I can access it all from any device.

I was grandfathered in with 100 GB of data storage for a ridiculously low yearly cost.

I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.

From a business perspective Google wants you to use their Cloud based solutions to keep you from churning to another provider. Once all your data is there it would be very cumbersome to try to move it to another provider. If it was all on your phone you could easily move away from Google. I personally do not mind using Google, they offer great cutting edge technology and don't lock me into their system with open sourcing. It's a win win for all involved. It may be an adjustment to change your current storage thoughts but it works and provides greater efficiency in the end.
    Would have been great if providers didn't cut off the unlimited data.

That's the big flaw with the cloud

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

ROM
    Stock

In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like.
    And you're right. This is precisely why the Nexus 4 comes with what it does. They are giving you enough memory to be a solid cache of the photos you might take during a heavy-use day and/or enough media to store between being able to access WiFi to load more.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Let's also be clear, too.

The Nexus 4 isn't the first Nexus device to ship without expandable memory.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    yfan likes this.

I think a phone maker would be very successful if they polled users on and off carriers and made a phone with the things the poll revealed were wanted.
    I think Google knows how to run focus groups. I think Google knows how to pay attention to the Android community. I think Google knows exactly what they're doing. Assumptions that they don't seem pretty naive IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    I personally wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    I'm not. They could just soldier on with sales of the current offering for a year. But ... big BUT ... what they did with the Nexus 7 line in just four months gives me something solid to hang my predictions on.

Black Friday's coming soon ... we''ve heard in past years that "this year is the year of the tablet," but I suspect we really haven't had that yet ... lots can happen in the next 3 months. Granted, you may have insight that we can't fathom and an NDA prohibits you from divulging, but I still think it's a very easy flip of a switch to introduce a holiday shopper bait promo on this years sparkling new line of Nexus devices. We shall see....

... I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.
    If you'd bought Horn and Dark Knight Rises on the Play store during the 25˘ sale like I did, you'd have a different story, me thinks. Not that I disagree with you.

You're on T-Mobile. You have unlimited data, it's just not all at 4G speeds. I'm here to help you get your facts straight. (jk)
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-14-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

So complain to your provider about the lousy service they provide.
    That's Google's end goal here, to break the American carrier's restrictive business model. Google's entire business plan is based on universal unlimited access to data.
    yfan and jimjamesjimmie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jshultz89 View Post
    I owned the Nexus One back in the day, loved it for a long time. Then jumped ship to apple and got an iPhone 4, then an iPhone 4s. But now I am beyond bored with the never updating iOS and the horrible direction apple is heading in with their mobile market. Anyway, I would LOVE an N4, get back to my Android and Google roots, but I can not rationalize buying a 16gb phone with no expandable memory. I take a lot of pictures and use spotify extensively. Between those two I take up over 30GBs on my iPhone. The memory is a real deal breaker for me.

When do you think Google will make a 32gb/64gb N4? Am I the only one holding out here?
    I believe this is purely a matter of perspective, and what one WANTS as opposed to NEEDS.

From one perspective, yes 16GB is pretty underwhelming in today's day and age (albeit manageable).

Looking at it objectively though, you are paying ~350$ for a DEVICE FROM THE GODS. This thing is a movie player, music player, GPS, internet browser, and camera all rolled in one. THIS WAS UTTERLY UNIMAGINABLE only 100 years ago. So next time you think about 16GB storage being too little, think about you trying to justify that to a squire in the 1600s. He would probably stab you with his iron dagger outright for even questioning such a holy piece of brick.

At least, that's what I do. I start thinking how many HD movies I can cram into 16GB, but then I remember that I am grateful for even being able to look at such a technological monolith of a phone.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    I believe this is purely a matter of perspective, and what one WANTS as opposed to NEEDS.

From one perspective, yes 16GB is pretty underwhelming in today's day and age (albeit manageable).

Looking at it objectively though, you are paying ~350$ for a DEVICE FROM THE GODS. This thing is a movie player, music player, GPS, internet browser, and camera all rolled in one. THIS WAS UTTERLY UNIMAGINABLE only 100 years ago. So next time you think about 16GB storage being too little, think about you trying to justify that to a squire in the 1600s. He would probably stab you with his iron dagger outright for even questioning such a holy piece of brick.

At least, that's what I do. I start thinking how many HD movies I can cram into 16GB, but then I remember that I am grateful for even being able to look at such a technological monolith of a phone.
    What? lol

If you'd bought Horn and Dark Knight Rises on the Play store during the 25˘ sale like I did, you'd have a different story, me thinks. Not that I disagree with you

That is the only time I have had an issue with my N7, I travel a lot for work and don't always have net access when flying. It would be nice to have the abilty to store larger size movies on the HDD when flying for play back. This has only been an issue a few times with me and there are ways to connect storage devices with the mini usb which is what I had to resort to in those instances.

That's Google's end goal here, to break the American carrier's restrictive business model. Google's entire business plan is based on universal unlimited access to data.

I am in full agreement that this is one of Google's ultimate goals and with ventures like Google Fiber we see this coming to fruition. I only wish we had an offering like that here where I live. The more time we spend online, regardless of the device type or brand, the more we use Google Apps, the faster our online experience the more money Google makes. I for one love their business model and support it fully. I only wish more American companies would realize and emulate this.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Yeah I think your the only one.

Why not just buy a different Android phone root it, install a custom ROM and make sure the phone fits your needs?

Personally I could manage just fine with a 4GB version for $249. They should in the future probably make a 8gb for the cheap people like me and then a 32gb for the people who need the storage. This is a work in progress so it would be prudent to expect some refresh of this phone end of 1st quarter next year.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I didn't think I could get by with 16GB but I have.(GN) its a Pita and I would prefer not to deal with the limitation but given the choice , between pure Nexus and storage...Nexus wins out...and all the other missing items I wish it had, LTE, removable battery, the pure Nexus still wins out.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

So just an update. After reading many reviews, looking up specs, comparing to the iPhone, and playing with an N4 for an hour in the TMobile store today, I'm definitely going to buy this device! It's so snappy and smooth. Everything looked really good on the display. I tried slowing down the phone but it just kept flying along. I'm buying one...as soon as they're available . The t-mobile store in the financial district of NYC only received 5 phones total. They sold out immediately. Although, I'm going to buy from the play store, cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jshultz89 View Post

Im holding out. Im going to wait to see if a 32GB version is going to come out. If not, ill get the 16GB and manage but im not going to get one til then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast