Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Default Re: buying bundels of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    Do you think they would hold them for you? No, its a free market economy, first come, first serve. Nature of the beast buddy, happens all over with all things.
    Maybe you didn't understand the question. Why didn't Google implement limits? And why would they allow 100s of the phones to be sold to the same person/organization? Did they truly not anticipate that there would be huge demand, that scalpers would take advantage? Did they not care that loyal customers would spend hours and get frustrated/pissed about the bad organization?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,253 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post
    Maybe you didn't understand the question. Why didn't Google implement limits? And why would they allow 100s of the phones to be sold to the same person/organization? Did they truly not anticipate that there would be huge demand, that scalpers would take advantage? Did they not care that loyal customers would spend hours and get frustrated/pissed about the bad organization?
    Nope. Money is money. lol.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Jnorton2724 likes this.

Default Re: buying bundles of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

Its to be execpted just wait I know my gnx is gong to hold out just fine
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pseu View Post
    Frankly, it's Google's fault for underpricing their device. (If more people want to buy an item at the offered price than the seller want to / can sell, then, clearly, the item was priced too low.)

The Day 1 price could have been jacked up by, idunno, a hundred bucks? Two hundred? I'm sure their algorithm guys could have come up with a reasonable market-clearing number. As ubergeek demand slowed down, they could have likewise lowered the price. If they had wanted to look like nice guys, then they could have chosen to donate that "extra" money to the EFF, or to some group supporting Chinese dissidents, or, heck just poured it into getting more N4s produced, faster! But, if they leave that money on the table, someone else is going to come and scoop it up. Those people are the ones being called "scalpers".

PS - If your answer is that Google couldn't have done the above without losing a ton of goodwill because folks would have called them "greedy", etc., then the people to blame for the scalpers are the people who would have called Google greedy for pricing their phone at a market-clearing level. Likely these are many of the same people now screaming about "scalpers".
    LMFAO Review the release of the first iPhone. Apple set the price high, lowered it mere weeks later... a pissed off a LOT of fans and customers. Lousy salesmanship.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-15-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added footnotes
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by 2:
    TvTechGuru likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    LMFAO Review the release of the first iPhone. Apple set the price high, lowered it mere weeks later... a pissed off a LOT of fans and customers. Lousy salesmanship.
    True, but there's a difference (a large one) between setting a price wrong and rolling it back, and setting a tiered release price to start with ($600 the first week, $500 the second week, $400 the third week, then $300 from that point forward).

Of course, tiered pricing coupled with a return policy is a recipe for disaster. Many people will buy it at $600, re-buy it at $500 then return the $600 one, re-buy it at $400 and return the $500 one, etc etc until you are now left with 4 refurb items for each actual one sold and no relief to your demand spike or inventory shortage each time you lower the price.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Maybe you don't understand how sales work, and iirc there was a limit of 5 per order, no limit on orders. Large companies that do this (just like ticket scalpers) have several accounts and cc's.
    Google it.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by Pseu View Post
    Frankly, it's Google's fault for underpricing their device. (If more people want to buy an item at the offered price than the seller want to / can sell, then, clearly, the item was priced too low.)

The Day 1 price could have been jacked up by, idunno, a hundred bucks? Two hundred? I'm sure their algorithm guys could have come up with a reasonable market-clearing number. As ubergeek demand slowed down, they could have likewise lowered the price. If they had wanted to look like nice guys, then they could have chosen to donate that "extra" money to the EFF, or to some group supporting Chinese dissidents, or, heck just poured it into getting more N4s produced, faster! But, if they leave that money on the table, someone else is going to come and scoop it up. Those people are the ones being called "scalpers".

PS - If your answer is that Google couldn't have done the above without losing a ton of goodwill because folks would have called them "greedy", etc., then the people to blame for the scalpers are the people who would have called Google greedy for pricing their phone at a market-clearing level. Likely these are many of the same people now screaming about "scalpers".
    Morally right or wrong aside, the people to blame for the scalpers are the scalpers. Don't make excuses for people being greedy and needing to make a profit from doing nothing.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

One already on craigslist here....

"Brand New Google Nexus 4 (16 GB)
    The new flagship Android 4.2 smartphone from Google. Factory unlocked and contract free with no carrier commitment or contract.

4.7" diagonal
    1280 x 768 pixel resolution (320 ppi)
    WXGA IPS
    Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2

Currently selling on ebay for $490-550.

I'm asking for $450. Cash only.
    Email if interested."

One already on craigslist here for $450....

Maybe you don't understand how sales work
    lol wut? Ya, that's the issue here. I don't understand how the exchange of fiat currency for goods and services functions in a modern economy. Spot on.

no limit on orders
    Which essentially means no limits whatsoever, other than the limiting factor of a bogged server because of the massive traffic.

Large companies that do this (just like ticket scalpers) have several accounts and cc's.
    I am quite sure there are ways for scalpers to circumvent quantity controls. But one easy way to take care of that is to limit by shipping address. There will still be scalpers, sure. But that alone would reduce scalping immensely.

My question is, does Google not care that it pissed off a lot of customers because of poor planning? I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love Google, I love my Nexus One. I am very committed to Google. But I wasted hours of my day trying to get a product and was completely unsuccessful. Google hasn't apologized for wasting my time, and that's the least they could do. Rather, I get told to "stop whining" and that I "don't understand how sales work."
    ChromeJob likes this.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

lol wut? Ya, that's the issue here. I don't understand how the exchange of fiat currency for goods and services functions in a modern economy. Spot on.

fiat currency?

Which essentially means no limits whatsoever, other than the limiting factor of a bogged server because of the massive traffic.

I suppose you think the 5 week wait for an iphone5 is so much better?

I am quite sure there are ways for scalpers to circumvent quantity controls. But one easy way to take care of that is to limit by shipping address. There will still be scalpers, sure. But that alone would reduce scalping immensely.

My question is, does Google not care that it pissed off a lot of customers because of poor planning? I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love Google, I love my Nexus One. I am very committed to Google. But I wasted hours of my day trying to get a product and was completely unsuccessful. Google hasn't apologized for wasting my time, and that's the least they could do. Rather, I get told to "stop whining" and that I "don't understand how sales work."
    They do care, but Google didn't waste your time, the site was bogged, it happens and you missed out for now. My own order is tied up and im not whining and complaining. I know it needs to be better, but in all honesty this is the trend with nexus launches, it sucks and I've griped my fair share at work over it, but there's nothing I or you can do presently.
    Google it.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Yup. And the not-very-bright people who fussed at Apple for that entirely-reasonable policy deserve a share of the blame for Google's launch-day fiasco with the N4. (Plenty more blame to go around to other parties, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    True, but there's a difference (a large one) between setting a price wrong and rolling it back, and setting a tiered release price to start with ($600 the first week, $500 the second week, $400 the third week, then $300 from that point forward).

Of course, tiered pricing coupled with a return policy is a recipe for disaster. Many people will buy it at $600, re-buy it at $500 then return the $600 one, re-buy it at $400 and return the $500 one, etc etc until you are now left with 4 refurb items for each actual one sold and no relief to your demand spike or inventory shortage each time you lower the price.
    They could just freeze any return policies until the 4th week is past and then no one can screw them or the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

haha, all those ppl who ordered phone to sell on ebay are probably pissed off right now. many of the orders are in backorder. they won't be able to deliver their phones. ebay rating going down. got what they deserve.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    ChromeJob likes this.

has anyone used amazon goldbox lightnign deals? Amazon only sells their allotment and has limits in place. I actually think amazon is a better company technology wise than google.

GOOGLE absoultey had an epic failure of sellign these bad boys.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,253 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by runningman3433 View Post
    has anyone used amazon goldbox lightnign deals? Amazon only sells their allotment and has limits in place. I actually think amazon is a better company technology wise than google.

GOOGLE absoultey had an epic failure of sellign these bad boys.
    Let's see.

Google's core is search.

Amazon's core is sales.

I wonder who would be better at online sales.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by runningman3433 View Post
    As I've said elsewhere, "Google should partner with Amazon to sell the pure Android Nexus devices ... oh ... um. Nevermind."
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
    Thanked by:
    TvTechGuru and squadz like this.

I just saw a 16g go for 660+ ~7 shipping, that is insane no wonder people are scalping the outta these.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I bought one for myself, but when i noticed how much they were selling for on ebay I listed mine asa buy it now for $530 (ebay claimed avg selling price was $650) . It sold in 20 min.

Why not make a hundred dollars to help pay for my Sprint ETF? If someone is too impatient to wait I could use an extra $100.

However when the emails came out today about the back orders I emailed my buyer and asked if they wanted to cancel and they did. It does not matter to me either way. I would love to have a shiny new Nexus 4 in my hands, but if you offer me $100-200 to wait a month I will gladly take your money.

I also don't understand why people are so upset about back orders. The nexus 7 launch was very similar.
    At least we dont have to wait outside for a week to buy a new device.

Supply and Demand. The Nexus 4 "scalpers" do not bother me at all. At least there will be more made. once a concert sells out that is usually it, minus a few small blocks of tickets that sold later.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    trter10-imore likes this.

They do care, but Google didn't waste your time, the site was bogged, it happens and you missed out for now. My own order is tied up and im not whining and complaining. I know it needs to be better, but in all honesty this is the trend with nexus launches, it sucks and I've griped my fair share at work over it, but there's nothing I or you can do presently.
    Listen, I appreciate your responses in the thread. I understand the impulse to reflexively defend Google. They do a lot of awesome stuff and I don't think they get nearly enough credit. I do see them as the Jedi of the tech world.

But come on. Preorders. Limits. This isn't hard. But Google seems to think this system works. As their customers, we should let them know this isn't acceptable. If we don't, how will they ever know to change?

I hate to say it, but when I preordered the iPhone 3G back in the day, at least I had a definite window in which I would receive my device. Sure I had to wait 3 weeks. But I knew what to expect, I got it when AT&T said I would, and I didn't waste hours of my life trying to track one down. With the N4, we have no idea how long we have to wait before the store gets restocked and the EXACT SAME CRAZY RUN will happen as on launch day. Nothing will have changed. Who knows, I might not get a shot at a device until next year. Seriously. Next year. I'd be freaking happy with a tied up order. At least I would have a time frame.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123