buying bundles of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's the way things are..

I used my upgrade on the iphone 5. And sold it to someone on Craigslist for 1200. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It's the way things are..

I used my upgrade on the iphone 5. And sold it to someone on Craigslist for 1200. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I thought about burning all my upgrades, doing the same as you then paying the eft and still making out in the end

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought about burning all my upgrades, doing the same as you then paying the eft and still making out in the end
I wish I'd thought of doing that a few years ago on my AT&T account. I could've gotten and resold 2, maybe 3, iPhones.

This morning I was actually considering going back to AT&T (corporate-discounted rate through my employer) and getting an iPhone so my gf would stop telling me, "If you had an iPhone, we could Facetime together...." Of course, I could also try out a N4 on the same SIM as an iPhone 4S (would have to use an adapter on a iPhone 5 SIm). Muahahaha

Of course, when I get an N4, I could just give her my Amaze, and say, "Now we can Talk on Google+ for days and days,...." MUAHAHAHA....

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It sickens me guys.

Me, too, but there's only one thing we can do about it. Don't encourage their behavior and wherever possible discourage others from helping them out.

Scalpers would not profit from demand if people stopped paying a premium for silly nonsense. "ZOMG!!! I MUST HAZ LATEST SHINY NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!! HERE'S MAH LIFE SAVINGZ 4 TEH SHINYZ!!!" is the problem, not that people are taking advantage of this idiotic impatience.

LG will make more Nexus 4 phones. The only problem right now is short supply. Take the asshats who bought 20 units and simply ignore them. Wait a few weeks, and LG will start shipping more $300/350 phones, and then who's going to want to pay the scalper even what they paid for it?

If scalpers are buying up all the concert tickets, let them. If no one buys them for a period of one year, all the scalpers will go bankrupt, because they'll be paying face value for a few hundred tickets that aren't worth the paper they are printed on 15 minutes after the concert starts.

If scalpers are buying up food or other necessities of life, then it's time to get upset and start rousing some rabble.

But, cool as it is, nice as it is, desirable as it is, it's a phone. At the end of the day, 99.9% of us can live with our existing phones for a few weeks.

And scalping boils down to pure supply and demand. If you stop demanding it, they'll stop supplying it.

Patience is the key.

runningman3433

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Me, too, but there's only one thing we can do about it. Don't encourage their behavior and wherever possible discourage others from helping them out.

Scalpers would not profit from demand if people stopped paying a premium for silly nonsense. "ZOMG!!! I MUST HAZ LATEST SHINY NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!! HERE'S MAH LIFE SAVINGZ 4 TEH SHINYZ!!!" is the problem, not that people are taking advantage of this idiotic impatience.

LG will make more Nexus 4 phones. The only problem right now is short supply. Take the asshats who bought 20 units and simply ignore them. Wait a few weeks, and LG will start shipping more $300/350 phones, and then who's going to want to pay the scalper even what they paid for it?

If scalpers are buying up all the concert tickets, let them. If no one buys them for a period of one year, all the scalpers will go bankrupt, because they'll be paying face value for a few hundred tickets that aren't worth the paper they are printed on 15 minutes after the concert starts.

If scalpers are buying up food or other necessities of life, then it's time to get upset and start rousing some rabble.

But, cool as it is, nice as it is, desirable as it is, it's a phone. At the end of the day, 99.9% of us can live with our existing phones for a few weeks.

And scalping boils down to pure supply and demand. If you stop demanding it, they'll stop supplying it.

Patience is the key.

scaplpers do this every year - hannah montana concerts tickets, olympic tickets, wii u, nvidia gtx 680/670 video cards.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You have to love folks with more money than sense. I do. I used my iPhone 5 (64gb black Verizon ) for a full month. Decided I didn't like it as well as I thought I would and sold it on eBay for over $1000! I paid $399 for it.

Looking forward to getting my 50 Nexus 4s by end of week so I can repeat the iPhone sale!

Just kidding! I did order but a single Nexus 4, but sure wish I'd had the money to grab a few. Hehe

Sent from my tricked out iPhone 4 while my Rezound charges!!!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
scaplpers do this every year - hannah montana concerts tickets, olympic tickets, wii u, nvidia gtx 680/670 video cards.

And all it would take is for people to come to their senses for about 6 months to a year and stop feeding the scalpers, and they'd all end up living in cardboard boxes without the money to buy more stuff.

I won't get into the money we all waste on such things in the first place. Guilty as charged, Your Honor. ;)

Pseu

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, it's Google's fault for underpricing their device. (If more people want to buy an item at the offered price than the seller want to / can sell, then, clearly, the item was priced too low.)

The Day 1 price could have been jacked up by, idunno, a hundred bucks? Two hundred? I'm sure their algorithm guys could have come up with a reasonable market-clearing number. As ubergeek demand slowed down, they could have likewise lowered the price. If they had wanted to look like nice guys, then they could have chosen to donate that "extra" money to the EFF, or to some group supporting Chinese dissidents, or, heck just poured it into getting more N4s produced, faster! But, if they leave that money on the table, someone else is going to come and scoop it up. Those people are the ones being called "scalpers".

PS - If your answer is that Google couldn't have done the above without losing a ton of goodwill because folks would have called them "greedy", etc., then the people to blame for the scalpers are the people who would have called Google greedy for pricing their phone at a market-clearing level. Likely these are many of the same people now screaming about "scalpers".

leroy_sunset

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: buying bundels of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

Do you think they would hold them for you? No, its a free market economy, first come, first serve. Nature of the beast buddy, happens all over with all things.

Maybe you didn't understand the question. Why didn't Google implement limits? And why would they allow 100s of the phones to be sold to the same person/organization? Did they truly not anticipate that there would be huge demand, that scalpers would take advantage? Did they not care that loyal customers would spend hours and get frustrated/pissed about the bad organization?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Maybe you didn't understand the question. Why didn't Google implement limits? And why would they allow 100s of the phones to be sold to the same person/organization? Did they truly not anticipate that there would be huge demand, that scalpers would take advantage? Did they not care that loyal customers would spend hours and get frustrated/pissed about the bad organization?

Nope. Money is money. lol.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, it's Google's fault for underpricing their device. (If more people want to buy an item at the offered price than the seller want to / can sell, then, clearly, the item was priced too low.)

The Day 1 price could have been jacked up by, idunno, a hundred bucks? Two hundred? I'm sure their algorithm guys could have come up with a reasonable market-clearing number. As ubergeek demand slowed down, they could have likewise lowered the price. If they had wanted to look like nice guys, then they could have chosen to donate that "extra" money to the EFF, or to some group supporting Chinese dissidents, or, heck just poured it into getting more N4s produced, faster! But, if they leave that money on the table, someone else is going to come and scoop it up. Those people are the ones being called "scalpers".

PS - If your answer is that Google couldn't have done the above without losing a ton of goodwill because folks would have called them "greedy", etc., then the people to blame for the scalpers are the people who would have called Google greedy for pricing their phone at a market-clearing level. Likely these are many of the same people now screaming about "scalpers".
LMFAO Review the release of the first iPhone. Apple set the price high, lowered it mere weeks later... a pissed off a LOT of fans and customers. Lousy salesmanship.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Sets iPhone Price at $399 for this Holiday Season
"IPhone Owners Crying Foul Over Price Cut"
Apple Stock Falls After IPhone Price Cut
Apple - To all iPhone customers

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
LMFAO Review the release of the first iPhone. Apple set the price high, lowered it mere weeks later... a pissed off a LOT of fans and customers. Lousy salesmanship.

True, but there's a difference (a large one) between setting a price wrong and rolling it back, and setting a tiered release price to start with ($600 the first week, $500 the second week, $400 the third week, then $300 from that point forward).

Of course, tiered pricing coupled with a return policy is a recipe for disaster. Many people will buy it at $600, re-buy it at $500 then return the $600 one, re-buy it at $400 and return the $500 one, etc etc until you are now left with 4 refurb items for each actual one sold and no relief to your demand spike or inventory shortage each time you lower the price.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site

Maybe you don't understand how sales work, and iirc there was a limit of 5 per order, no limit on orders. Large companies that do this (just like ticket scalpers) have several accounts and cc's.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Morally right or wrong aside, the people to blame for the scalpers are the scalpers. Don't make excuses for people being greedy and needing to make a profit from doing nothing.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
One already on craigslist here....

"Brand New Google Nexus 4 (16 GB)
The new flagship Android 4.2 smartphone from Google. Factory unlocked and contract free with no carrier commitment or contract.

4.7" diagonal
1280 x 768 pixel resolution (320 ppi)
WXGA IPS
Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2

Currently selling on ebay for $490-550.

I'm asking for $450. Cash only.
Email if interested."

leroy_sunset

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you don't understand how sales work

lol wut? Ya, that's the issue here. I don't understand how the exchange of fiat currency for goods and services functions in a modern economy. Spot on.

no limit on orders

Which essentially means no limits whatsoever, other than the limiting factor of a bogged server because of the massive traffic.

Large companies that do this (just like ticket scalpers) have several accounts and cc's.

I am quite sure there are ways for scalpers to circumvent quantity controls. But one easy way to take care of that is to limit by shipping address. There will still be scalpers, sure. But that alone would reduce scalping immensely.

My question is, does Google not care that it pissed off a lot of customers because of poor planning? I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love Google, I love my Nexus One. I am very committed to Google. But I wasted hours of my day trying to get a product and was completely unsuccessful. Google hasn't apologized for wasting my time, and that's the least they could do. Rather, I get told to "stop whining" and that I "don't understand how sales work."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12