Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tacsniper
  • 2 Post By nimer55
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GOOGLE Please Learn from Apple!

First, I guess Google didn't accept pre-order to avoid the mess from the Wifi Nexus 7 sale where customers were able to buy them in physcial stores few days before Google actually began shipping was fine, but at least place a limit of 2 phones per customer base on name

Second, don't stop accepting orders! Do what Apple does; keep accepting orders and let customers know approx. when it will be ship out. Put up "ship in 2 weeks" instead of "SOLD OUT" and keep racking in the cash!! I would be much happier to wait for 2 weeks then to keep checking the play store to see if the phone is in-stock in the "coming weeks."
    Thanked by:
    DC Damien likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: GOOG Plz Learn from Apple!

It was 5 per order I believe.

Yeah, your not gonna make anyone mad by saying you can have your phone in a month. Apple gets away with it because their is only one, Android there is many....not to mention I think it is a bit dishonest....

Its something we will have to tolerate. Nothing we can do but wait it out till its release. I would like a pre order but some things won't happen as we have to just put up with it. Pray to God if that helps you.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Quote Originally Posted by tacsniper View Post
    First, I guess Google didn't accept pre-order to avoid the mess from the Wifi Nexus 7 sale where customers were able to buy them in physcial stores few days before Google actually began shipping was fine, but at least place a limit of 2 phones per customer base on name

Second, don't stop accepting orders! Do what Apple does; keep accepting orders and let customers know approx. when it will be ship out. Put up "ship in 2 weeks" instead of "SOLD OUT" and keep racking in the cash!! I would be much happier to wait for 2 weeks then to keep checking the play store to see if the phone is in-stock in the "coming weeks."
    Are you kidding me? There are still people who ordered well before launch of the iPhone 5 who are waiting for them still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

. I agree. Take our orders and give us the ship date estimate. At least we know we have an order to be fulfilled and don't have go back to the store over and over day after day to see that annoying "check back later" banner.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

lol. Be like Apple.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I agree. Here was my list sent to a friend:

1) Actually email people with time, and not make a useless registration, where you don't actually email anyone with anything ever.
    2) Don't start early. Use the time you emailed to people.
    3)Do preorders. So even If I wouldn't get it right away, I'm on a list somewhere, and will know when to expect it.
    4) Make a website that doesn't crash.-I would normally not use this, because it's the equivalent of "make more phones". But this is Google; site crashing is really weird.
    5) Put a lower/more typical limit on quantity purchased.

-Now, some of those would not have helped me personally get one, but they are common sense solutions to the system/problems we had this time. Now, I'll still buy a Nexus, but this was a terrible customer experience; perhaps with the exception of dealing with Canadian telecommunication providers, this is the worse service I've ever tolerated. (It comes down to alternatives. When it comes to Canadian telecommunication, we don't have any good ones. When it comes to a Nexus device, there is nothing that matches the pure Google experience; add in the price, and I don't have anywhere else to go, so though I am quite displeased with Google, I will remain a customer). However, I don't think Google wants my reaction to be "Well, it's the least bad option available", and I'm sure they will improve the experience for next year, or with the New Nexus 7 releasing in June (assuming yearly refresh).
    blk3carfan and eco7 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by DC Damien View Post
    . I agree. Take our orders and give us the ship date estimate. At least we know we have an order to be fulfilled and don't have go back to the store over and over day after day to see that annoying "check back later" banner.
    That always works out so well. Date slips, people get pissed. orders cannot get filled, date still slips, no one is mad at all. Date continues to slip, still no one is mad.

Take it from someone that did retail and did preorders for a high demand item. It is not a good idea to just take the money without something to back it. Telling someone that "its coming" is not good enough

Apple certainly has a handful of years more experience on working out details of the supply chain. They can more accurately predict their "coming soon" dates. Since Google is not entrenched in making devices like Apple is, seems like they are still dependent on the OEM (LG) estimates.

We ask Google, when? Google asks LG, when? Google replies to us.. "coming weeks".

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I agree. Here was my list sent to a friend:

1) Actually email people with time, and not make a useless registration, where you don't actually email anyone with anything ever.
    2) Don't start early. Use the time you emailed to people.
    3)Do preorders. So even If I wouldn't get it right away, I'm on a list somewhere, and will know when to expect it.
    4) Make a website that doesn't crash.-I would normally not use this, because it's the equivalent of "make more phones". But this is Google; site crashing is really weird.
    5) Put a lower/more typical limit on quantity purchased.

-Now, some of those would not have helped me personally get one, but they are common sense solutions to the system/problems we had this time. Now, I'll still buy a Nexus, but this was a terrible customer experience; perhaps with the exception of dealing with Canadian telecommunication providers, this is the worse service I've ever tolerated. (It comes down to alternatives. When it comes to Canadian telecommunication, we don't have any good ones. When it comes to a Nexus device, there is nothing that matches the pure Google experience; add in the price, and I don't have anywhere else to go, so though I am quite displeased with Google, I will remain a customer). However, I don't think Google wants my reaction to be "Well, it's the least bad option available", and I'm sure they will improve the experience for next year, or with the New Nexus 7 releasing in June (assuming yearly refresh).
    @Nimer55 +1 - I agreed 100%, I hope Google can make it work better for the next round.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

didn't everyone say the same thing with the N7? "I am sure google will get it right the next time around." The people who run google, know, that they can treat their customers like this, and you will come back again, and again. honestly though, what else am i going to do? this is a great phone, and at a wicked awsome price. at this point, they could spit in our face, and we would still ask for more. I have never seen a free for all like this since walmart black friday. Thank god this wasn't at a physical store, or some people might have died in the stampede. I think for the next wave, they should go to a huge arena, with only a handful of phones, and throw them into a sea of people, because thats what this felt like yesterday.

Default Re: GOOGLE Please Learn from Apple!

i think everyone is missing the point. we're all loyalists, but lets face it, a very very small percentage of actual buyers. (yeah i couldnt buy one either) but google wants this to be a sh*tshow to draw attention to it, and to draw attention to the fact that apple is not the only manufacturer who has people clamoring for a device. and with all due respect, to suggest google couldnt handle this amount of web traffic is laughable. does google crash during an election or any major event with potentially millions more people accessing their pages? no. IMO this went according to plan for google. also with the amount they are subsidizing this device there is no way they are going to over-produce it, leading to big losses. so now they have a good sense for demand which they will meet, and they got some nice media attention to boot.
    Droids!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Cry more?

Be more like Apple....BLASPHEMY!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

That's what Apple does now after years of problems. Remember a few years ago when their (and AT&T's) systems crashed from all the orders. Yes, Google should learn from Apple's past mistakes but given previous Nexus sales, perhaps Google never put much behind this thinking, "Well, we didn't even advertise the device and we never even had our reveal in NYC, so there probably won't be that many sales."

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by duke1231 View Post
    didn't everyone say the same thing with the N7? "I am sure google will get it right the next time around."
    And they learned a lesson - "don't take pre-orders". Unfortunately, their adaptation to the lessons they learned the last time around put them in a situation of learning new lessons.

They could have gone the Apple route - anticipated larger demand and built an extra million units, expanded warehousing facilities, bought national ad campaigns to ensure that the demand was sufficient to justify the manufactured supply.

But then you'd be waiting until February to buy a Nexus 4 for $450 and $500.

The Nexus has always been a relatively small launch to a smaller number of people. The Nexus 7 was problematic in the way that demand outstripped supply for a few weeks initially, and I expect the Nexus 4 will have the same problem for a few weeks to a month. I'm not sure how Google could partner with someone to make what will in the end be a niche product and have it manufactured on a flagship-phone scale.
    Thanked by:
    Ry