Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neo42
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Feeling a little nervous

So news reports are saying the Nexus S didn't and will not get the 4.2 update. The Nexus S was released just 2 years ago... 4.2 is hardly a spec-intensive update so why was the S left out? This makes me nervous about the Nexus line. The iPhone 3Gs was updated to iOS 6 by Apple, giving it a 3 year update life. Although I normally will upgrade every 2 years, I'd like to pass my phone to a family member and without updates, it's a little harder. So I mean, not a huge deal, but with only a two year support cycle, doesn't that make some of you worried? I'm actually slightly disgusted by the lack of update to a phone that's not even 2 years old.

Default Re: Feeling a little nervous

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    So news reports are saying the Nexus S didn't and will not get the 4.2 update. The Nexus S was released just 2 years ago... 4.2 is hardly a spec-intensive update so why was the S left out? This makes me nervous about the Nexus line. The iPhone 3Gs was updated to iOS 6 by Apple, giving it a 3 year update life. Although I normally will upgrade every 2 years, I'd like to pass my phone to a family member and without updates, it's a little harder. So I mean, not a huge deal, but with only a two year support cycle, doesn't that make some of you worried? I'm actually slightly disgusted by the lack of update to a phone that's not even 2 years old.
    I believe Nexus phones have a 2 year support time from Google as far as updates to Android. I could be wrong but thats what I've seen and heard. Also, iOS users might be getting updates on 3 year old phones but, like my parents have said, they run worse and worse with each update to the old hardware. For example, my Moms iPhone 3GS runs like a piece of . Her words not mine.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    I believe Nexus phones have a 2 year support time from Google as far as updates to Android. I could be wrong but thats what I've seen and heard. Also, iOS users might be getting updates on 3 year old phones but, like my parents have said, they run worse and worse with each update to the old hardware. For example, my Moms iPhone 3GS runs like a piece of . Her words not mine.
    Sure, I have an iPhone 4 that I think sucks. The thing though is this caused by hardware aging and our comparison to newer phones. Hardware ages and gets slower. A 2 yr old iPhone 4 will be slower than a new iPhone 4 due to age and usage. Plus when the iphone 4 came out, it was the fastest yet. Now we have even faster phones. The reason why if felt fast was because there wasn't something faster to compare it to, now there is, so it'll feel slower just based on something to compare it to. Every new phone will feel faster than the last...

Anyway, the thing is Google can update the Nexus S to 4.2. They did it with 4.1 and there is barely any difference. I don't like how, even though the hardware can run it, they won't allow it to update forcing consumers to buy the newer phone if they want an update. I guess it's just business....

P.S. it hasn,t been two years yet.. 1 month shy
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,189 Global Posts

Maybe at a starting price of $299, Google doesn't expect users to carry a Nexus 4 for two years.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock

Agreed, but there's nothing earth-shattering in terms of hardware requirements for 4.2 - it's an incremental upgrade that adds a few new features. The trouble is, of course, that a couple of them (the swipey keyboard and photosphere) are pretty significant upgrades.

I suppose it is possible that the difference between 4.1.2 and 4.2 is just enough to push the Nexus S out of the running. Maybe there's some hardware hook that cannot be backported to the Nexus S's older hardware, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Agreed, but there's nothing earth-shattering in terms of hardware requirements for 4.2 - it's an incremental upgrade that adds a few new features. The trouble is, of course, that a couple of them (the swipey keyboard and photosphere) are pretty significant upgrades.

I suppose it is possible that the difference between 4.1.2 and 4.2 is just enough to push the Nexus S out of the running. Maybe there's some hardware hook that cannot be backported to the Nexus S's older hardware, or something.
    It could just be, plain and simple, Google wants to push people onto newer hardware. It is around that two year time frame after all with a pretty awesome and cheap new Nexus phone.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Maybe its a slow roll out for it to be modified for it or that maybe its just time for it as it may become too much for it.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Bolded part is 100% accurate. Nexus One owners did not receive an official ICS build either. 2 years is standard, and longer than any other phone you buy now will be receiving updates for
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Bolded part is 100% accurate. Nexus One owners did not receive an official ICS build either. 2 years is standard, and longer than any other phone you buy now will be receiving updates for
    But it hasn't been 2 years yet! We're still 1 month shy of 2 years. As a business, better to give too much than to give too little...

But it hasn't been 2 years yet! We're still 1 month shy of 2 years. As a business, better to give too much than to give too little...
    To be completely honest and in my opinion, having a smartphone from Google for two years while getting updates to the latest Android builds normally I would completely understand Google pushing users to upgrade to a newer hardware for this price especially. You might actually get the update eventually but I wouldn't say they gave you too little because you might miss one update. Like you said, you have one more month before two years so you might get it.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

They have set a precedent and decided to stick with it, and I have no issue with that. It also makes perfect sense given the speed of technology in our phones and requirements to run the latest software. Better to leave a phone with stable software than produce a less-than-optimal build because the internals just can't properly handle the new software. For the price of these phones, in 2 years you should be able to upgrade to the new Nexus just fine
    (or perhaps you'll feel like unlocking the bootloader and letting the development community support you with new software for a while longer )

People also seem to forget that, while 'old' in terms of technology, Gingerbread is still functional. It's not like the Nexus 4 is going to stop working exactly 2 years from now. On a side thought, there's a decent chance the developer community will continue to support the phone past 2 years with custom ROMs
    Thanked by:
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's just business they need to move forward because technology moves very fast to keep irrelevant tech up to date. They would lose profit supporting irrelevant devices to the few that are holding on to them. These are unfortunate circumstances but is the nature of beast of technology.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Besides the phone still being functional after 2 years, you are forgetting that other phones get 1 major upgrade if anything.
    Ask Sony, htc, lg, Samsung owners.. Their updates definitely don't get to 2 years.
    As for the iphone, and older model might get an update but not with all features (look at Siri), so is it really an update?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Just wait for the ROMs my friend

I waited for q year for an ics update to my HTC evo.... Never came. Now it runs cm9 and is installed in my car dash for music/GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sure, I have an iPhone 4 that I think sucks. The thing though is this caused by hardware aging and our comparison to newer phones. Hardware ages and gets slower. A 2 yr old iPhone 4 will be slower than a new iPhone 4 due to age and usage.
    Yeah, because air slowly leaks into the vacuum tubes and stuff.

I get that everyone needs to get their knickers in a twist over something in order to justify some nerd rage, but is this really the best example? As the lead device with Gingerbread, it received ICS and JB in a span of 19 months, but because it's not getting the incremental point release to 4.2, people want to wail that Google is screwing them over and murdering their pets. Really? Most manufacturer-skinned and carrier-bloatwared phones are lucky to get ONE OS bump and usually wait many months to get them, but the Nexus S is getting traded for smokes in the prison yard by Google? Come on.

I bought my OG EVO on launch day in June 2010 and it was the first carrier phone to receive Froyo shortly thereafter. GB came a year later (4 months after release) and not only did it wreck the phone, that was the end of the line, never getting ICS. Ask a Bionic owner about their wait for ICS sometime; that was only a year in coming and buggy as heck to boot. Most people would dampen themselves if they could be guaranteed two years of immediate no-waiting updates. Heck, ask the poor iHerds about how they lost features with the iOS 6 "update."

The Nexus S doesn't become a useless inert paperweight if it doesn't get 4.2. All the apps that ran last week still run today. So you don't have the new clock. Wah. These are the firstest of the First World problems. I swear some people can't be happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Well, Google and manufacturers need to make money too - most phone consumers swap out a new phone every 2-3 years. Consumerism drives competition and innovation. Iphone 3GS may have IOS 6 but it's missing probably 25-30% of the features that a Iphone 4S/Iphone 5 has. The Nexus line should be fortunate to get updates frequently until maybe a 2 year expiration of course, most Android phones stop getting updates after a year, and some get completely ignored.

From a business POV, why should Google or Samsung provide support for a 2 year old phone in consideration that they are competing against other manufacturers/companies.

I'm surprised the Nexus S didn't stop getting updates a while ago. Two years is outstanding for an Android phone. Plus it is a Nexus, so extremely functional unofficial updates will go on forever.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

cm 10.1 is coming. so no worries there