Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    haha, wow, what a great idea. The difference is actually less than 50 since no shipping fees and you are only paying tax for 200 and not 350.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Not sure about anywhere else but in California you have to pay tax on the full price, regardless of what you pay for going on a contract so there is no savings there as far as tax goes...

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Not sure about anywhere else but in California you have to pay tax on the full price, regardless of what you pay for going on a contract so there is no savings there as far as tax goes...
    Yeah the fine print on the ETF says you have to pay tax on the ETF amount in most states.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Still better than forking over $500+ on Ebay. For me though, I'm gonna wait for consumer reactions and get it from Google if I do get it

Yeah well, with an unlocked phone vs a locked in contract with Tmobile. Spending that extra $150 might not be so bad to be honest, it does mean you got suckered if you are too eager and can't wait a month.

I did a quick survey in my office with a dozen people who had smartphones with contracts, I asked them to tell me how much "call voice" usage they used in a month in a 3 month average. It came to about less than 2 hours. So that means most people such as yourself is paying about $40 more for something they don't use, now multiply that by 12, and then by 2 if you plan to have this phone for 2 years, now that extra $150 on eBay doesn't seem so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by jimjamesjimmie View Post
    Yeah well, with an unlocked phone vs a locked in contract with Tmobile. Spending that extra $150 might not be so bad to be honest, it does mean you got suckered if you are too eager and can't wait a month.

I did a quick survey in my office with a dozen people who had smartphones with contracts, I asked them to tell me how much "call voice" usage they used in a month in a 3 month average. It came to about less than 2 hours. So that means most people such as yourself is paying about $40 more for something they don't use, now multiply that by 12, and then by 2 if you plan to have this phone for 2 years, now that extra $150 on eBay doesn't seem so bad.
    I don't even think you get what I'm saying... It's basically the same but instead of paying the $500 average on ebay, if you do what I specified, you pay $400. You get the same phone, faster, and it's cheaper than ebay.

He's saying you leave the contract right away, pay the ETF, and still come out under the $499 unsubsidized price.

The T-Mobile device is unlocked, too.

$250 + taxes = $270 + $200 + $30 activation + early termination fee = $500 vs $550 for Ebay. So you save $50 for a phone that you have to unlock yourself (good luck!) and you have to fight tooth and nail with cell phone to try to weasel yourself out of a contract (might take an hour or two worrying) The Tmobile phone is not unlocked. I bought the original NEXUS ONE phone from Tmobile subsidized, it was locked. There were unlocked versions available at $550 at the time. That wouldn't make sense of Tmobile selling a Nexus 4 phone subsidized with contract, locked. You know what, this is all in speculation. Instead of telling us that it's cheaper, why don't you go to Tmobile right now and buy this phone. DO IT, and then come back. No need to respond further until you do.

I don't even think you get what I'm saying... It's basically the same but instead of paying the $500 average on ebay, if you do what I specified, you pay $400. You get the same phone, faster, and it's cheaper than ebay.

$250 + taxes = $270 + $200 + $30 activation + early termination fee = $500 vs $550 for Ebay. So you save $50 for a phone that you have to unlock yourself (good luck!) and you have to fight tooth and nail with cell phone to try to weasel yourself out of a contract (might take an hour or two worrying) The Tmobile phone is not unlocked. I bought the original NEXUS ONE phone from Tmobile subsidized, it was locked. There were unlocked versions available at $550 at the time. That wouldn't make sense of Tmobile selling a Nexus 4 phone subsidized with contract, locked.
    1) It is unlocked. More than one person has already purchased directly from T-Mobile and put SIMs from AT&T (and other MVNOs) in it w/o issue. Here's a picture from Peter Alfonso, well-known Android enthusiast (and T-Mobile employee): that good enough for you? Not to mention the countless posts even on this very forum proving this.
    2) You dont have to weasel out of anything. Call and explain you want to cancel and pay the ETF. They'll cancel and send you a bill. Done.

The ebay way takes 1 minute to get you your phone. The tmobile way, which you save maybe $50 on average gives you headaches and worries over what is being charged or when are you getting money back.
    1 minute? How about the fact that the eBay seller doesn't even have the device yet. They still have to wait to get it from Google, then package it up again and send to you. More like a week. And, as you note, its more expensive.

Or just wait a month for the unlocked.
    Yes, you can wait, but if you don't want to wait, you can do this. Some people have more money than patience. That's their choice.

There's a reason why this phone is extra special because of the low unlocked price. This is part of Google's long term strategy to move people off the cellular grid and on to the data one. You're the one not getting what I'm saying, focused on teeny tiny dollars. By all means, keep driving an extra 20 miles so you can save $5.
    Who cares what Google wants you to do?

But remember, he's not staying with the contract. He's taking the phone unlocked and using it with a carrier of his choice. Exactly what Google is trying to have people do...

Andrew, if you don't mind me asking, why do you think it will only be 4 days before they have more? I read someone else said that but I was thinking more like 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Andrew, if you don't mind me asking, why do you think it will only be 4 days before they have more? I read someone else said that but I was thinking more like 4 weeks.
    Hm? where did I say 4 days? I think I've said "next week" a few times.

I'm just making a guess that some time next week we'll see sales go back up again. Not really based on anything, but just an assumption that once they have the site figured out and the initial batch sold, they'll have more available. We very easily could be waiting longer.

I'm not sure where someone is pulling "4 weeks" from though. That seems like an extremely long time for a second production run, even if it started yesterday.

My bad. I thought you said 4 days somewhere. I know someone else did though. Even a few days sounds better than a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    You're still better off signing a Value Plan (or Prepaid plan) and buying the device a the Google Play Store next week.
    Yep.

Store rep told me they're phasing out subsidized phone, just offering cheaper plans and selling phones at full price. Good luck with that, T-Mobile.

The N4 is indeed what Phil said it was - classy, primo feeling, with clear, sharp display. A fellow was installing Speedtest.net, hoping to see how fast it was, but the store had some bogus "micro-site" that gave me a whopping 29 asu, and stone age speed. WTF, T-Mobile?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.
    And then you're stuck with a crappy contract for 2 years. The big selling point of the N4 is that you get a powerful phone that can switch carriers for about the price of a locked phone. Why would you go to a locked phone? You might save $100 up front, but over the life of the contract you'll pay $600 or so more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Store rep told me they're phasing out subsidized phone, just offering cheaper plans and selling phones at full price. Good luck with that, T-Mobile.
    Its better for them, and better for the customer. They offer 0% financing with monthly installments for the phone, and for those who choose to use their phone longer than 18 months or bring their own, their monthly bill is cheaper once the phone is paid off. For T-Mobile, they don't need to subsidize phone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    And then you're stuck with a crappy contract for 2 years. The big selling point of the N4 is that you get a powerful phone that can switch carriers for about the price of a locked phone. Why would you go to a locked phone? You might save $100 up front, but over the life of the contract you'll pay $600 or so more.
    Don't think you're understanding the premise of this here... The idea is you cancel the contract and pay the ETF, but you're still coming out ahead of the $499 full price. You can then take the phone and do what you want with it without the contract.

And no, the phone isn't locked. It's 100% unlocked for use on any carrier, even when you buy it from T-Mobile.

My advice is to wait. Color options are a possibility. Just wait it out folks.

one word of caution on this idea. if you plan on using the $30 tmobile pre-paid plan (which i do), i believe that is for new customers only. so if you buy the phone at tmobile on contract, cancel the contract immediately / pay the ETF, you would no longer be a new customer, would you? so, then the next best price you could get (i believe) is $50 per month. so figuring in an extra $20 per month, the equation changes. i was planning on using tmobile for the HSPA+42 in my area, i am not aware of other prepaid services making that available for $30 per month, if at all.

You can still get the 30 dollar plan, however you would have to get a new micro SIM and activate a new phone number.

right. so you can't port your existing number and still get the $30 / mo plan. not everyone wants to use their GV # as their primary number.

ETF = Early Termination Fee.
    The kicker to this deal is that you pay Tmo $200 up front to get out of the contract, and you walk away free and clear.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I paid full price for the phone, got the 50 dollar prepaid plan that I will forget to renew, and dropped my Straight Talk Sim in straight out of the door and haven't looked back...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    "In valor, there is hope."

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    ETF = Early Termination Fee.
    The kicker to this deal is that you pay Tmo $200 up front to get out of the contract, and you walk away free and clear.
    OK, so you're spending an extra $100 to get the phone a few weeks early? I guess if that's worth it to you.

Don't think you're understanding the premise of this here... The idea is you cancel the contract and pay the ETF, but you're still coming out ahead of the $499 full price. You can then take the phone and do what you want with it without the contract.

And no, the phone isn't locked. It's 100% unlocked for use on any carrier, even when you buy it from T-Mobile.
    OK, so you're not saving anything, you're spending $100 more than Google's price to get the phone a few weeks early. Still not a bad deal.

OK, so you're not saving anything, you're spending $100 more than Google's price to get the phone a few weeks early. Still not a bad deal.
    You're saving over T-Mobile's unsubsidized price. No one said you're saving over Google's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skarletknite View Post
    one word of caution on this idea. if you plan on using the $30 tmobile pre-paid plan (which i do), i believe that is for new customers only. so if you buy the phone at tmobile on contract, cancel the contract immediately / pay the ETF, you would no longer be a new customer, would you? so, then the next best price you could get (i believe) is $50 per month. so figuring in an extra $20 per month, the equation changes. i was planning on using tmobile for the HSPA+42 in my area, i am not aware of other prepaid services making that available for $30 per month, if at all.
    The $30 prepaid plan has no contract associated with it... its prepaid.

In order to buy this at $200 and pay the $200 ETF, you have to sign up with a Classic Plan.
    ChromeJob likes this.

Its better for them, and better for the customer. They offer 0% financing with monthly installments for the phone, and for those who choose to use their phone longer than 18 months or bring their own, their monthly bill is cheaper once the phone is paid off. For T-Mobile, they don't need to subsidize phone anymore.
    Oh! I'm an *****. So the new model is they sell you the $350 phone for $199, then charge $20 installments for 24 months (?), so they recoup $679 or so in addition to the services charges. It's a little more transparent than in years past, you don't have a continued, inflated plan price after "paying off" the phone.

I'm in the wrong racket.

Quote Originally Posted by skarletknite View Post
    one word of caution on this idea. if you plan on using the $30 tmobile pre-paid plan (which i do), i believe that is for new customers only. ...
    I believe the rep last night told me you can't have been a customer for 6 months (or was it a year) before rejoining T-Mo. So, correct, you can't buy the phone and a plan, cancel in 2-4 weeks, and turn around and sign up to a new plan.

Reading some of page 2 of this thread,... I dunno if OP meant to troll, but I feel some of the responses are trolling. Unless we've got kids who've never actually had a cell phone contract, or read mom & dad's contracts.....

It's a locked phone!
    No it's not.
    It is TOO a locked phone!
    Not, it's not a locked phone.
    ... I know you are, but what am I?
    ad nauseam
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-15-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: I'm having fun, you have questions. fire away.

You're saving over T-Mobile's unsubsidized price. No one said you're saving over Google's.

- - - Updated - - -

The $30 prepaid plan has no contract associated with it... its prepaid.

In order to buy this at $200 and pay the $200 ETF, you have to sign up with a Classic Plan.
    i dont think you understand what i am saying. if you buy the phone for 199 you must select a plan (online its a 2yr plan) and have a contract. once you do that, you are no longer a "new activation," which is required to qualify for the $30 per month prepaid plan. your new activation under your name was the classic plan. i've actually gotten different stories from tmobile. online chat tells me that if you pay for the phone w/2yr contract, (they do not sell the nexus 4 online without a 2yr contract), and you pay early termination fee, then the phone is locked for 40 days. here is an excerpt:

Gabriella: You can not use it within 40 days of purchase date with no contract monthly plan.
    You: so youre saying i have to wait 40 days after i purchase the phone to use it on no contract monthly plan? i thought the nexus 4 is unlocked. that means i can use it on any HSPA network at any time
    Gabriella: No, it is two year contract phone, and it is locked by service provider.
    You: are you sure about that?
    Gabriella: It can be unlocked after 40 days of purchase.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast