For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

hunterhp

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 From Ebay

Doesn't terminating your contract early affect your credit score. In the long run with the lower credit score, you're gonna pay more for other things in your life that require credit.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
These kind of things are why phones and serivce cost so damn much here. The company is losing money every tiime someone does this, yet people keep crying about high prices on the big carriers. how hard is it to pony up the off contract price or wait a bit till it's in stock?

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 From Ebay

Doesn't terminating your contract early affect your credit score. In the long run with the lower credit score, you're gonna pay more for other things in your life that require credit.

No, you take the temporary hit of 1 point for running the application, but it doesn't have a negative long term effect like closing a credit card does.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew....and you save $20 on your monthly plan. Never really a reason to go Classic. Once any phone is paid off, You can get a new phone the same way Classic needs to wait 22 months

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone is quadband GSM with 850/900/1900/2100 (iirc), and the GSM part is unlocked. It has some good resale value as an unlocked GSM phone, but it doesn't have the proper LTE frequencies for AT&T, which cuts it down to either selling it as a Verizon phone or selling it overseas.

Just to clarify... The Verizon iPhone 5 comes factory unlocked. You can simply drop any gsm sim in it (cut down to nano size) and it will work. Yes, it cannot get att LTE , but it does HSPA + just fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
They may try to charge you the difference of the full phone value. since they charge 500 and have you pay that off with a 15 dollar fee for 20 months, it's a bad deal. they may have you pay the eft plus the difference on the phone.

The monthly payment arrangements are only for Value Plan customers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As I wrote here, you could get the GN4 from T-Mo for $150 (no activation fee). I placed the order on Wed morning and received it on Friday early afternoon -- despite being told by T-Mo rep that the phone is backordered. So, with $150+$200 ETF it's the same price as Google Play store.
Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
As I wrote here, you could get the GN4 from T-Mo for $150 (no activation fee). I placed the order on Wed morning and received it on Friday early afternoon -- despite being told by T-Mo rep that the phone is backordered. So, with $150+$200 ETF it's the same price as Google Play store.

But... that requires that you have a business account?

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No. I told the rep that I work for the Federal goverment (any department, Congress or agency would do). He asked for some kind of ID number, I gave him my building access badge number - I could have easily made up any other number. In addition to the discount on the phone, and no activation fee, I also got a 15% discount on the monthly plan. I intend to cancel my contract and either get a Straight Talk SIM or T-Mo's own $30 a month prepaid "Unlimited Data plus 100 mins" plan. Hope this is helpful.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

No. I told the rep that I work for the Federal goverment (any department, Congress or agency would do). He asked for some kind of ID number, I gave him my building access badge number - I could have easily made up any other number. In addition to the discount on the phone, and no activation fee, I also got a 15% discount on the monthly plan. I intend to cancel my contract and either get a Straight Talk SIM or T-Mo's own $30 a month prepaid "Unlimited Data plus 100 mins" plan. Hope this is helpful.

Sounds neat, but I'd be concerned that they might make a fraud complaint against you. They could -- not saying they would, but could -- blacklist your IMEI based on this. I've only read of IMEIs being blacklisted if you skip out and don't settle the bill. But with the month or two of service, taxes, fees, I think you don't quite get the phone for "same price as the Google Play store." You might make this work, but I'm concerned that recommending this practice to young adults who've never been in financial trouble gets them into a hot soup they weren't prepared for.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm not so sure I feel like lying about being a federal government worker and giving a fraudulent ID number in order to save $50 on a phone :p .

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds neat, but I'd be concerned that they might make a fraud complaint against you. They could -- not saying they would, but could -- blacklist your IMEI based on this. I've only read of IMEIs being blacklisted if you skip out and don't settle the bill. But with the month or two of service, taxes, fees, I think you don't quite get the phone for "same price as the Google Play store." You might make this work, but I'm concerned that recommending this practice to young adults who've never been in financial trouble gets them into a hot soup they weren't prepared for.

Thanks for your concern. I do work for the Federal government. T-Mo, like other carriers, have relationships with many corporations, universities and non-profits. You don't have to be a business owner to get discounts, you merely have to be affiliated with an entity that has a relationship with T-Mo. My recommendation is based on the assumption that one may be able to get discounts because of their employment or affiliation. And I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by monthly fees and taxes statement. Whether you buy the phone from Google or T-Mo, you need to pay for some kind of service. If I cancel my T-Mo two year contract, pay the termination fee and get a T-Mo prepaid plan, I will be getting the same exact deal as one would by purchasing a contract-free phone from Google. Am I missing something?

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm not so sure I feel like lying about being a federal government worker and giving a fraudulent ID number in order to save $50 on a phone :p .

I don't recommend you lie. I merely answered your question by describing the process. Read my previous response to a similar concern.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your concern. I do work for the Federal government.
Ah, THANK YOU. That really wasn't clear from your post here (I reread it before posting) . I used to be in the Fed too and recall the liabilities of falsely claiming government employment.

-Mo, like other carriers, have relationships with many corporations, universities and non-profits. You don't have to be a business owner to get discounts, you merely have to be affiliated with an entity that has a relationship with T-Mo. My recommendation is based on the assumption that one may be able to get discounts because of their employment or affiliation. And I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by monthly fees and taxes statement. Whether you buy the phone from Google or T-Mo, you need to pay for some kind of service. If I cancel my T-Mo two year contract, pay the termination fee and get a T-Mo prepaid plan, I will be getting the same exact deal as one would by purchasing a contract-free phone from Google. Am I missing something?
Yes, i found out after buying and signing up at a Costco kiosk that the SCCA has a better intro deal than I got. Anyone considering going to Tmobile should check all their available club discounts.

My warning about fees is that our brief cursory discussions here do not encompass all the fine print in the carrier contract. You, and Andrew, and I may know all the ins and outs of these contracts, but these posts may be read by countless neophytes who will scamper off to a store and sign without reviewing the fine print.

I don't recommend you lie....

Well, in your other thread you are encouraging others to make up information in order to qualify for a discount. That, in most people's books, qualifies as lying. Not good.

Last edited:

xerexlord

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered 2 N4's from Tmobile. I was trying to buy one at 500, and was told I couldn't, but if I wanted a new line of service that I would be able to purchase it (this is irritating and unfair, but I digress). I jokingly asked about the ETF and was told it is 200. I asked if the activation fee could be waived and was told that if I cancel before even using the line, I could keep the phone and never pay activation or even a prorated bill, I would simply pay the ETF.

Long story short - this DOES work, and is an easy way to get an N4 for 399.99. Expedited shipping (overnight) was only 11.99. Regular shipping is free 2-4 business days.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered 2 N4's from Tmobile. I was trying to buy one at 500, and was told I couldn't, but if I wanted a new line of service that I would be able to purchase it (this is irritating and unfair, but I digress). I jokingly asked about the ETF and was told it is 200. I asked if the activation fee could be waived and was told that if I cancel before even using the line, I could keep the phone and never pay activation or even a prorated bill, I would simply pay the ETF.

Long story short - this DOES work, and is an easy way to get an N4 for 399.99. Expedited shipping (overnight) was only 11.99. Regular shipping is free 2-4 business days.

Interesting. So you received the device and a SIM, but just never activated the SIM at all? Then called and cancelled? How did that work being that you're in the 14 day return period?

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried to do this once with the Galaxy S3 while it was free on contract, but they made me pay activation fees, ETF, as well as the first month of service.
So it didn't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21