Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.
    Last edited by cnguyen0320; 11-14-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Default Re: For those impatient...

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.
    Haha well if thats what some people want to do. I wouldn't want the Tmobile version of this phone based on what happened with the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Haha well if thats what some people want to do. I wouldn't want the Tmobile version of this phone based on what happened with the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon but thats just me.
    Its the exact same phone so no worries there.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Its the exact same phone so no worries there.
    Exactly! I think I'm gonna do this.

If its the exact same phone then no worries. Let us know how it works out for you guys.

Default Re: For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

They may try to charge you the difference of the full phone value. since they charge 500 and have you pay that off with a 15 dollar fee for 20 months, it's a bad deal. they may have you pay the eft plus the difference on the phone.
    Thanked by 2:
    ChromeJob and 21plays like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by fredwardnelson View Post
    They may try to charge you the difference of the full phone value. since they charge 500 and have you pay that off with a 15 dollar fee for 20 months, it's a bad deal. they may have you pay the eft plus the difference on the phone.
    I'd doubt it. They don't make you do that with any other phone but those are locked to tmobile. The N4 will be unlocked and seeing as how there isn't anything in the fine print, I find it unlikely.

I think you could be a genius but there must be a catch.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Fine print on their site doesn't say anything against it. At most you'll be paying $85 more if you pay the activation fee. I'd say its worth a try. I'd do it but I don't mind waiting and seeing what consumers say before I switch from my iPhone

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I walked in to a T-Mo store earlier today, dropped 500 bucks, walked out with a completely stock no crapware unlocked Nexus 4. I dropped my Straight Talk sim in, set up the APN, and have been up and running for a couple hours now.
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Jaredshoes and cman6453 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    I walked in to a T-Mo store earlier today, dropped 500 bucks, walked out with a completely stock no crapware unlocked Nexus 4. I dropped my Straight Talk sim in, set up the APN, and have been up and running for a couple hours now.
    I am anxious to hear what your thoughts are on this phone once you have had a chance to put it to the paces. Also wondering if you do any mods like unlocking the bootlogger and/or rooting the device for comparison. I am equally anxious to get my shipping notification from Google Wallet but highly doubtful I will get it tonight as it is already 6:26 PM EST and nothing yet and the order still showing as "Shipping Estimate: November 15, 2012" under status.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    If the ETF really is only $200 then there's no catch. It's well known that right now most of the iPhone 5's are worth more than the up-front + ETF as well. iPhone 5 on Verizon is only $200 + $350 ETF, but retails for like $649.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

haha, wow, what a great idea. The difference is actually less than 50 since no shipping fees and you are only paying tax for 200 and not 350.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

may i ask if there is a t-mobile logo on the device anywhere? thanks....was thinking of doing the same

Quote Originally Posted by skarletknite View Post
    may i ask if there is a t-mobile logo on the device anywhere? thanks....was thinking of doing the same
    No.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Quote Originally Posted by skarletknite View Post
    No, its literally the exact same as the Play Store one.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by fredwardnelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    If the ETF really is only $200 then there's no catch. It's well known that right now most of the iPhone 5's are worth more than the up-front + ETF as well. iPhone 5 on Verizon is only $200 + $350 ETF, but retails for like $649.
    Yep ETF is indeed $200. I'm assuming that's because tmobile's plans are cheap to begin with. I do have a question for you. I know about the iPhone from Verizon but if I buy from Verizon and oay ETF, will the phone still be locked under Verizon's network?

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

I think you're forgetting that you have to pay for the first month of service.

You are required to keep the device active on contract for at least 14 days. Then you may cancel your contract and pay the ETF.
    Also, most customers require a deposit to open an account....this is not refunded (to my knowledge) if you cancel your service after 14 days...

I do have a question for you. I know about the iPhone from Verizon but if I buy from Verizon and oay ETF, will the phone still be locked under Verizon's network?
    Buy what phone? The Nexus 4 isn't coming to Verizon. And Verizon phones (in general) are CDMA/LTE only, and can't be used on any other network. They're essentially "locked" because they're incompatible hardware-wise with other networks (except Verizon MVNOs, and even then that's a hassle).

Of the Verizon phones that do have the GSM capability to run on other networks (aka "world phones"), they're not always unlocked. Verizon isn't very nice about unlocking phones unless you're a contract customer traveling abroad. Some are unlocked out of the box though, like we're seeing with the Droid DNA, so its kind of a crap shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reignx777 View Post
    I think you're forgetting that you have to pay for the first month of service.
    You'd only pay the pro-rated amount of using the service for the first 15 days, presuming you cancel the 1st day after the 14-day grace period.

But yes, there are likely other charges to crop up over and above the $200 + ETF you'd think you'd be paying. Like the activation fee, taxes, and partial-month's service.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

You'd only pay the pro-rated amount of using the service for the first 15 days, presuming you cancel the 1st day after the 14-day grace period.

But yes, there are likely other charges to crop up over and above the $200 + ETF you'd think you'd be paying. Like the activation fee, taxes, and partial-month's service.
    Ah, true. In California we have a 30 day grace period, which would mean paying for a full month.

I'd doubt it. They don't make you do that with any other phone but those are locked to tmobile. The N4 will be unlocked and seeing as how there isn't anything in the fine print, I find it unlikely.
    "There isn't anything in the fine print." Famous last words. Anyone trying, you'd better read your actual contract, not some web site, word for word before signing. #JUSTSAYING

Quote Originally Posted by sx4dude2013 View Post
    ... Also, most customers [are required to pay] a deposit to open an account....this is not refunded (to my knowledge) if you cancel your service after 14 days...
    Usually (in my experience) the deposit is waived once you pass a credit check. Takes a minute or so.

... Verizon isn't very nice about unlocking phones unless you happen to own a Death Star and threaten to blow up Alderaan if they don't unlock it for you.
    Here Andrew, I fixed that statement for you.

I'd say read the contract. When I bought my Amaze last December, they charged me for a partial period, but hoo boy the math was flakey and seems I paid $20 or so I shouldn't have had to.

... But yes, there are likely other charges to crop up over and above the $200 + ETF you'd think you'd be paying. Like the activation fee, taxes, and partial-month's service.
    Listen to Andrew ^ peope, there are all kinds of little tricks and hooks and gotchas they've baked into their contracts. The carriers have battalions of contract lawyers who use every trick in the book to protect their bottom line from us, the humble consumers. Tread carefully.

That said ... I'm wondering if I should buy one on a second line for my gf, give her my Amaze so she can do Google+ stuff with me for a few months, and walk out with the Nexus. Hrm....
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    That said ... I'm wondering if I should buy one on a second line for my gf, give her my Amaze so she can do Google+ stuff with me for a few months, and walk out with the Nexus. Hrm....
    You're still better off signing a Value Plan (or Prepaid plan) and buying the device a the Google Play Store next week.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Buy what phone? The Nexus 4 isn't coming to Verizon. And Verizon phones (in general) are CDMA/LTE only, and can't be used on any other network. They're essentially "locked" because they're incompatible hardware-wise with other networks (except Verizon MVNOs, and even then that's a hassle).
    I meant like the iPhone 5 since it has a sim slot. Sorry, I should probably ask the apple forums but you seem to have knowledge so...

I meant like the iPhone 5 since it has a sim slot. Sorry, I should probably ask the apple forums but you seem to have knowledge so...
    The Verizon iPhone is quadband GSM with 850/900/1900/2100 (iirc), and the GSM part is unlocked. It has some good resale value as an unlocked GSM phone, but it doesn't have the proper LTE frequencies for AT&T, which cuts it down to either selling it as a Verizon phone or selling it overseas.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast