For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.

Last edited:

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: For those impatient...

Tmobile on contract $200 for N4, $200 for ETF. You walk out of Tmobile with a 16gb N4 right now for only $50 more.

There is also a $35 activation fee but many tmobile assistants will waive that if you ask.

Haha well if thats what some people want to do. I wouldn't want the Tmobile version of this phone based on what happened with the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon but thats just me.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
They may try to charge you the difference of the full phone value. since they charge 500 and have you pay that off with a 15 dollar fee for 20 months, it's a bad deal. they may have you pay the eft plus the difference on the phone.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
They may try to charge you the difference of the full phone value. since they charge 500 and have you pay that off with a 15 dollar fee for 20 months, it's a bad deal. they may have you pay the eft plus the difference on the phone.

I'd doubt it. They don't make you do that with any other phone but those are locked to tmobile. The N4 will be unlocked and seeing as how there isn't anything in the fine print, I find it unlikely.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I think you could be a genius but there must be a catch.

Fine print on their site doesn't say anything against it. At most you'll be paying $85 more if you pay the activation fee. I'd say its worth a try. I'd do it but I don't mind waiting and seeing what consumers say before I switch from my iPhone

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I walked in to a T-Mo store earlier today, dropped 500 bucks, walked out with a completely stock no crapware unlocked Nexus 4. I dropped my Straight Talk sim in, set up the APN, and have been up and running for a couple hours now.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I walked in to a T-Mo store earlier today, dropped 500 bucks, walked out with a completely stock no crapware unlocked Nexus 4. I dropped my Straight Talk sim in, set up the APN, and have been up and running for a couple hours now.

I am anxious to hear what your thoughts are on this phone once you have had a chance to put it to the paces. Also wondering if you do any mods like unlocking the bootlogger and/or rooting the device for comparison. I am equally anxious to get my shipping notification from Google Wallet but highly doubtful I will get it tonight as it is already 6:26 PM EST and nothing yet and the order still showing as "Shipping Estimate: November 15, 2012" under status.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I think you could be a genius but there must be a catch.

If the ETF really is only $200 then there's no catch. It's well known that right now most of the iPhone 5's are worth more than the up-front + ETF as well. iPhone 5 on Verizon is only $200 + $350 ETF, but retails for like $649.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
haha, wow, what a great idea. The difference is actually less than 50 since no shipping fees and you are only paying tax for 200 and not 350.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

If the ETF really is only $200 then there's no catch. It's well known that right now most of the iPhone 5's are worth more than the up-front + ETF as well. iPhone 5 on Verizon is only $200 + $350 ETF, but retails for like $649.

Yep ETF is indeed $200. I'm assuming that's because tmobile's plans are cheap to begin with. I do have a question for you. I know about the iPhone from Verizon but if I buy from Verizon and oay ETF, will the phone still be locked under Verizon's network?

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I think you're forgetting that you have to pay for the first month of service.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are required to keep the device active on contract for at least 14 days. Then you may cancel your contract and pay the ETF.
Also, most customers require a deposit to open an account....this is not refunded (to my knowledge) if you cancel your service after 14 days...

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I do have a question for you. I know about the iPhone from Verizon but if I buy from Verizon and oay ETF, will the phone still be locked under Verizon's network?

Buy what phone? The Nexus 4 isn't coming to Verizon. And Verizon phones (in general) are CDMA/LTE only, and can't be used on any other network. They're essentially "locked" because they're incompatible hardware-wise with other networks (except Verizon MVNOs, and even then that's a hassle).

Of the Verizon phones that do have the GSM capability to run on other networks (aka "world phones"), they're not always unlocked. Verizon isn't very nice about unlocking phones unless you're a contract customer traveling abroad. Some are unlocked out of the box though, like we're seeing with the Droid DNA, so its kind of a crap shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're forgetting that you have to pay for the first month of service.

You'd only pay the pro-rated amount of using the service for the first 15 days, presuming you cancel the 1st day after the 14-day grace period.

But yes, there are likely other charges to crop up over and above the $200 + ETF you'd think you'd be paying. Like the activation fee, taxes, and partial-month's service.