No 4g on AT&T?

chrisfast

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I was reading an article on the Nexus 4 on Phone Dog and the writer said that if you buy the Nexus 4 on Google you don't get 4g, but rather 3g on AT&T' s network. The writer didn't elaborate, but that would be crazy if it's true. I am planning on ordering a Nexus 4 when they restock, but not if they don't even have 4g. I thought all I had to do was switch my SIM card from my GS3 to the nexus and I'm done. Hoping the writer on Phone Dog was incorrect. Does anybody know for sure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I was reading an article on the Nexus 4 on Phone Dog and the writer said that if you buy the Nexus 4 on Google you don't get 4g, but rather 3g on AT&T' s network. The writer didn't elaborate, but that would be crazy if it's true. I am planning on ordering a Nexus 4 when they restock, but not if they don't even have 4g. I thought all I had to do was switch my SIM card from my GS3 to the nexus and I'm done. Hoping the writer on Phone Dog was incorrect. Does anybody know for sure?

I think he means no LTE but yes you will get HSPA+ which is still good speeds

Sent from my PC36100

TheCube

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your definition of 4G. There is no LTE support in Nexus 4, but it does support up to HSPA+42 (which is also considered 4G). However, I think AT&T's HSPA+ network only goes up to 21 Mbps theoretical.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

You will have HSPA+ but no LTE on your Nexus 4. I'm also an ATT customer and it's no big deal for me because my coverage area has no LTE yet. Kind of late for you to be coming across this news as it's old news and known since way before the nexus 4 was even announced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The following technologies have at one time or another been called 4G by someone, near as I can tell:
*TA (14 mbps) HSPA supporting Category 10 devices (16QAM, 5MHz, SISO) : T-Mobile referred to this as 4G. I don't think they still do but I'm not sure. AT&T calls this "4G" when on an iPhone 4S.
*TA (21 mbps) HSPA supporting Category 14 devices (64QAM, 5MHz. SISO) : T-Mobile and AT&T currently refer to this as "4G"
*T (42 mbps) HSPA supporting Category 24 devices (64QAM, 10 MHz, SISO) : T-Mobile
(10 or 20 mbps due to backhaul) WiMax, 10 MHz TDD : Sprint
(7 mbps) LTE (1.4 MHz FDD, SISO) : MetroPCS
(16 mbps) LTE (3 MHz FDD, SISO) : MetroPCS
(27 mbps) LTE (5 MHz FDD, SISO) : MetroPCS
(54 mbps) LTE (5 MHz FDD, MIMO) : AT&T calles this "4GLTE"
(108 mbps) LTE (10 MHz FDD, MIMO): AT&T, Verizon both call this "4GLTE"

*TA = Nexus 4 on T-Mobile and on AT&T support this
*T = Nexus 4 on T-Mobile support this. AT&T not supported because AT&T hasn't deployed (to the best of my knowledge) dual-carrier HSPA.

chrisfast

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I knew no LTE, but could really care less. The one time I used LTE it killed my battery. When I saw no 4g thigh I was thinking back to the original iPhone with speeds equivalent to dial up. I'm happy with 4g. Just wanted to check with you guys before trying to get Nexus 4. Sounds like I'll still be getting one when Google has stock left. Here's the article I read it from. http://www.phonedog.com/2012/11/14/would-you-prefer-the-htc-droid-dna-or-the-lg-nexus-4/
Thanks guys!

chrisfast

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping that the writer was mistaken. I don't really care about losing LTE. I used it once and while it was extended fast, my battery drained just as rapidly. I just want to make sure I'm not looking at speeds like I had with the original iPhone. That was the equivalent of dialup.
Looks like I'll probably order a Nexus 4 when they have stock again. Here's the article I read that got me a little freaked out.

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/11/14/...les)&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Thanks guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
In general, if you're on AT&T's HSPA+ signal, your phone will say "4G" and if you're on their LTE signal it says "LTE" or "4G LTE". The former example is why people with non-LTE iPhone 4s suddenly say "4G" after they updated to iOS 5 last year. It was just because it had the icon changed, not because secret abilities had been unlocked.

castlefox

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
FYI -Back in the day in Feb 2011 when I got my Motorola Atrix from ATT it was called "4G" by them.

There is 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE - You will not get 4G LTE on your Nexus4

chrisfast

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
As long as I get 4g I'll be happy. Thanks again guys. Looking forward to getting my new phone sometime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol