Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

I've moved from an iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4, and here's the problem I'm having: Where with the iphone I reliably had 2 bars of service in my apartment, the Nexus shows me as having none.Wierder still the Nexus will show 2 bars if I lay it down, but when I pick it up the signal disappears. However, even though the phone is showing no bars, I can still talk and test as normal. So a couple of thoughts:

Does the Nexus have an antenna issue similar to the iphone 4 so that it requires a case for better reception?

Is its signal strength bar miscalibrated so that it's showing me with ni signal strength when I actually have some?

Also, one more wierd problem that I think is not related to my phone but maybe you guys have seen it. I have several friends with iphones, and they can txt me normally, but I have one friend who's txts to be ALWAYS try to go by way of imessage, and so I'm not getting her txts. When I txt her she receives just fine, shows on her phone as a txt message, but when she txts back it shows to her with the blue imessage bubble, and I don't get what she sends. Any idea why this might be happpening? We cleared out our txts, rebooted and all and it still keeps happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Elborja1 View Post
    How do you have 50% after average daily usage? Do you keep your data off? How many hours or screen do you normally at the end of the day?....I cant seem to make it past 3 pm without having to recharge.
    I keep data on but I am using wifi for the whole day except the time that I commute (~30 minutes per day). I am in front of a computer screen the whole day so I don't need to use the phone a lot (screen in on for about 2h30m every day). Just for messaging, twitter and facebook while I commute. I am not a heavy user of the phone at all. Just posted to let you compare it with my previous GN battery experience.
    Zee

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Does anyone have any impressions on the bumper case? I haven't seen any reviews/pics of the phone with the case on.

Coming from iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad3, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with both android and the Nexus 4. It took a little while to get the phone set up, but most of my issues were due to not turning off iCloud and iMessage. Once this was done, the nexus synced through google perfectly.

As for the hardware, it is sexy. Coming from the iphone 4, the screen is ridiculous! Huge, smooth, bright, vibrant, and the rounded off edges are very vice. The phone is much lighter than I expected. This is neither a positive or negative for me. To be honest, I would prefer if it had a bit more heft to it. Build quality is nice, but the iphone 4 was likely one of the most well built, solid devices I have ever held. Compared to other android devices I have held, nexus 4 gives me a premium feel that phones like gs3 could not deliver.

Speaker is loud, but I find the ringer and text message notifier not loud enough (yes they are on max volume). Youtube/Music plays loud, very good.

I will not comment on 4.2 due to a couple of factors. First, I am new to android and feel I cannot properly evaluate it without knowing all of which it can and cannot do. I will say that the phone is fast, in all respects. Browsing, scrolling, rendering webpages, etc..., this phone makes the performance of my iphone 4 laughable.

Overall, I am blown away. I will keep my iPhone 4, just in case i change my mind, but as of now I believe I will stick with android. One reason it took me forever to switch was investment into iOS and accessories. Apple eliminated a good portion of my switching costs by introducing the lightning connector. The need to purchase 5 $30 adapters for all of my accessories did not appeal to me, and honestly it pissed me off that a company with such a loyal customer base would extort money from them in such a way. The other reason I had not switched to android is that I had never come across a device that was the equivalent under the hood without being made of plastic.

In conclusion, the nexus 4 is a great device. Is it the end all be all of cell phones? No. Is it the perfect device for me? Yes. LTE, expandable storage, and removable battery are all non-issues for me. This effectively removes the only cons about the phone and makes it perfect for my needs. Should you get the phone? Sure, why not! Unless you have a GS3 or plan on getting a OneX+ or droid DNA, this phone is great. Great enough to convert and Apple die hard to Android.

P.s. I don't see myself buying an android tablet as I love my iPad. However, you never know.
    Last edited by legec117; 11-17-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Sent from my nexus 4
    Thanked by 4:
    DC Wuff, nickacs, serpico and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mike37918 View Post
    Also, one more wierd problem that I think is not related to my phone but maybe you guys have seen it. I have several friends with iphones, and they can txt me normally, but I have one friend who's txts to be ALWAYS try to go by way of imessage, and so I'm not getting her txts. When I txt her she receives just fine, shows on her phone as a txt message, but when she txts back it shows to her with the blue imessage bubble, and I don't get what she sends. Any idea why this might be happpening? We cleared out our txts, rebooted and all and it still keeps happening.
    My wife had this problem once on her iPhone, what fixed it for her was to go into contacts and take their number out of the iPhone entry and put it in the cell phone or home phone entry (can't remember which she used). I imagine either one would fix the problem so long as it isn't set as an iPhone number.

Make sure you turn iMessage off on your old iPhone. I turned it off on both my iPhone and iPad. Once that was done, messaging worked fine.
    Sent from my nexus 4

I just played with a display at the Tmobile store, and man was I impressed! The WiFi was so quick to transition, and the photosphere was pretty cool too. Phone was very responsive, and I was getting 5Mbps download on the "H" not "H+". My only complaint was both the screen and the back were already scratched in the store. . . I though Gorilla glass was supposed to be pretty resistant to scratches.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

It's great to hear from someone like legeic117 because I am in the same boat. After two years of using only iOS products I got bored with the minor updates and the entire connector switch. I still have my Nexus One which was my first try with Android and that was version 2.3.6 Gingerbread. I never found another device like the iPhone4 and just stayed put. I tried to order a Nexus4 last week and had only problems with the ordering process. This is a great thread to read everyones opinions especially those converting from the iPhone4.

you know what? I've been trying to take a decent photo to post up with this phone but I can't....I'm not happy with any of them so far. This is under broad daylight conditions as well.

More noise/blurriness than I would have expected. Looking at them on my computer, not even zoomed in, just got the window maximised and I can see the fuzziness around edges and lack of detail.

My phone definitely has an antenna issue. My apartment doesn't get great reception. I never had more than two bars with my iphone. But now with my Nexus I'm getting no bars - IF I hold it on the sides as one normally would. If I hold it on the top and bottow - two bars. If I put it in a sandwich bag and hold it normally, I get a signal. It acts exactly like the iphone 4 did, and like the iphone 4 Im hoping a case will solve the problem (and since I can get a signal if I put the phone in a bag, I'm fairly confident it will.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Also, is the home screen supposed to autorotate when you hold the phone in landscape? I thought they added that with 4.1.2, or was that just for tablets?

My phone definitely has an antenna issue. My apartment doesn't get great reception. I never had more than two bars with my iphone. But now with my Nexus I'm getting no bars - IF I hold it on the sides as one normally would. If I hold it on the top and bottow - two bars. If I put it in a sandwich bag and hold it normally, I get a signal. It acts exactly like the iphone 4 did, and like the iphone 4 Im hoping a case will solve the problem (and since I can get a signal if I put the phone in a bag, I'm fairly confident it will.
    That's very interesting!

Anyone else notice this problem?
    No, not at all. I have the same signal strength whichever grip I use.

Also, is the home screen supposed to autorotate when you hold the phone in landscape? I thought they added that with 4.1.2, or was that just for tablets?
    It's just for tablets.

I was lucky enough to get a 16 gb Nexus 4 in Tuesday's free for all. I have used it for a little more than 24 hours now, so consider this a very preliminary review.

My previous Android experience is with Samsung phones including the GS3.

Build quality on the Nexus 4 is excellent. The front glass smoothly transitions to the edges. The glass back provides a great solid feel and the design on the back is subtle and not distracting at all. The power and volume buttons feel solid. Overall, I like the way the phone looks and feels better than the GS3.

The screen is definitely the best I've ever seen on an Android phone. I have not used the HTC 1X, but this screen has extremely sharp text with no visible pixels. The colors are natural to my eyes, not oversaturated like Samsung phones tend to have.

Speaker volume is decent. I have not yet used the phone for any voice calls, but music volume is more than adequate. Headphone volume and quality is excellent. Headphones connect solidly to the jack.

The phone performance is great with no hint of any lag. I have been very impressed and believe the Nexus 4 may be slightly faster and smoother than the GS3. Bluetooth works fine - found an paired with my wireless speaker quickly and without any issues. I've only used camera for a few quick snapshots. It works fine for my purposes - I'm not a big phone camera guy - I tend to use a DSLR for most of my photography and only use phone for quick snapshots. GPS locked quickly and accurately without any problems.

I bought the Nexus 4 to use primarily as my travel phone when I am overseas on business. My GS3, is CDMA on Verizon. I planned to keep my GS3 for daily use when in USA, but I have been impressed enough by Nexus 4 that if I can find a MVNO plan that works for me, I may pay the ETF on my CDMA contract and sell my GS3. I have already checked and I can pay for the ETF with monthly savings in less than 6 months. Only thing that might hold me back is data - I'm on unlimited plan on Verizon and its nice not to have to worry about data usage. On other hand - I'm paying $60/month more for Verizon service than I would to StraightTalk. That difference would buy a lot of data!
    Last edited by MazoMark; 11-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post
    .P.s. I don't see myself buying an android tablet as I love my iPad. However, you never know.
    I have an Ipad 3 that's been gathering dust since I got my N7. The Nexus pad does everything the Ipad does in a MUCH more portable form factor. The Nexus 7 slips inside my jacket pocket - I have the carry the Ipad in my hand. And no, and Ipad mini won't do - it's too wide.
    palitsyn likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I've moved from an iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4, and here's the problem I'm having: Where with the iphone I reliably had 2 bars of service in my apartment, the Nexus shows me as having none.Wierder still the Nexus will show 2 bars if I lay it down, but when I pick it up the signal disappears. However, even though the phone is showing no bars, I can still talk and test as normal. So a couple of thoughts:

Does the Nexus have an antenna issue similar to the iphone 4 so that it requires a case for better reception?

Is its signal strength bar miscalibrated so that it's showing me with ni signal strength when I actually have some?

This is a problem with your imessage account still being active. You need to log in to your account and turn it off. Your friends phone thinks you are still using your iphone so it gets confused.

There are a bunch of threads on the topic you can search for.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post
    Coming from iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad3, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with both android and the Nexus 4. It took a little while to get the phone set up, but most of my issues were due to not turning off iCloud and iMessage. Once this was done, the nexus synced through google perfectly.
    Were you able to transfer all the info/data from your iPhone to the Nexus easily? I have a Gmail account with my contacts synced to it, but am unsure about the rest of it.

First full charge on battery gave me 17+ hours. Mainly on wifi, Web surfing, reading email, listening to music, with Bluetooth speaker and GPS on and auto screen brightness, so I would call it light to moderate use.

Talking Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

Switched from a iphone 5 to this and I am so happy I did. Amazing phone, love the screen size. Battery is fine,gets me through my day with moderate use.
    Lack of LTE is no big deal as I am very rarely in a LTE area. On HSPA+ I get around 10 mbps. So far so good
    Treknologist likes this.

going from iphone 5 to the nexus 4 i am guessing you are using AT&T still?

I'm wondering because I am still in contract with AT&T on my 4s until May but thinking of getting the Nexus 4 and just running it with my AT&T sim in it to play with Android for the first time... but wondering how HSPA+ is on it... whether I will get better speeds than my 4s which is suppose to utilize HSPA+ but rarely seen great numbers.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tuukka87 View Post
    Switched from a iphone 5 to this and I am so happy I did. Amazing phone, love the screen size. Battery is fine,gets me through my day with moderate use.
    Lack of LTE is no big deal as I am very rarely in a LTE area. On HSPA+ I get around 10 mbps. So far so good

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    going from iphone 5 to the nexus 4 i am guessing you are using AT&T still?

I'm wondering because I am still in contract with AT&T on my 4s until May but thinking of getting the Nexus 4 and just running it with my AT&T sim in it to play with Android for the first time... but wondering how HSPA+ is on it... whether I will get better speeds than my 4s which is suppose to utilize HSPA+ but rarely seen great numbers.

Thanks.
    Yes still on At&t and HSPA+ is just fine for me

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Ya might just go ask that in the apple forums...

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    Were you able to transfer all the info/data from your iPhone to the Nexus easily? I have a Gmail account with my contacts synced to it, but am unsure about the rest of it.
    No problem at all. Contacts synced from my gmail account instantly. My music and videos were transferred by connecting the phone to my MacBook Pro and just dragging them over. I have all of my pictures loaded to google+/picasa, so those are available on my phone as well. Process was very seamless. I have not transferred my onld text messages from my iphone, simply because I don't know have and have not looked it up yet.

The only thing that threw me off was I guess the phone shipped with 4.1 and I was getting used to using it (lock screen swipe directions etc...) and an update came up which I guess was 4.2.

I saw someone say that their phone is running hot, I have not experienced this yet. However, I have not pushed the phone yet. I sampled a movie on it for about 5 minutes, but nothing more extensive than that.
    Sent from my nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Like others here, I also came from an iOS background on my iPhone 4. But I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab for almost an year which eventually got Android 4.0 and my gf has the Galaxy Nexus so it was not a rough transition by any means. Took about 20 minutes to get all the contact syncing done, and then immediately got the OTA update. My phone shipped with no battery charge whatsoever, as when I started it up it immediately shut down

Camera is not the best out there, but I absolutely love the build and the screen. One issue I have is the new double finger swipe fails a lot after having gone to the apps page and coming back to the main home screen. No biggie, a small bug I guess. My phone also runs cool even after some benchmark tests (which are in the same region as the ones reported by others) and also has no rattle. So far, I am really happy. I can't wait for my ATT contract to end and head over to Straight Talk.

In a way, the biggest contribution from the Nexus 4 (for me anyway) has been to drop the shackles of contracts. I hope this happens to other people as well. The first iPhone pretty much started the inflated contract pricing from carriers, and it is about time this stopped.
    Thanked by:
    Treknologist likes this.

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

Ok so I know there may be a few other threads detailing first impressions of the Nexus 4. I have a short first impressions/unboxing video here:

Here are my main thoughts on the device after not much time using it.

Build Quality

The Nexus 4 is built incredibly well and solid. There is no flex anywhere. The backside is really nice, and the NEXUS words with the small glitter look really good. I haven't found the phone slippery at all. No more than a normal S3 or other phone. The rubberized sides give it a good grip. I am being SUPER careful with this because I feel like it's really delicate. I'm not sure if that's due to reading the other threads here or reviews mentioning the phone scratches easily and can crack easily. I'm not sure, I just try to take care of it the same as I would another phone, but my mind is freaking out a little that I'm going to break it.

Screen

The screen is terrific. MUCH better than the Galaxy Nexus. It is super clear and you cannot tell pixels at all. The screen is a little muted or washed out looking compared to the S3. I'm not sure if this is a stock Android thing or because of Super AMOLED, but I can tell. The colors look more natural so there's that.

Camera

Haven't played around with the camera too much. I like the interface. Quality of the photos are fine. Nothing too great, not as good as the S3 or One X but much better than the Galaxy Nexus. To me the camera of the Galaxy Nexus was a MAJOR turnoff. The camera on the Nexus 4 is really good, but nothing special. There's a BIG difference there. I don't feel like the camera on this phone will prevent someone from buying it, like the camera on the Galaxy Nexus.

Operation

Jelly Bean 4.2 is really smooth on this phone. I feel like its faster than on the S3 running CM10. I'm sure it is. It's much faster than the Galaxy Nexus. Swiping is smooth. It's great. The edges on the actual phone that curve down DO make a difference and I do notice it. That's nice. The notification light is smaller than on the Galaxy Nexus but it gets the job done and is still multicolored.

Network

Now this is a big one. I know many of you are planning on switching to a prepaid with this phone. I would caution you to do so, there are things to ponder before. Make sure T-Mobile/AT&T's coverage is good in your area. T-Mobile may be faster, but it can be WAY slower if you don't have good signal. I'm in St. Louis and when I get good T-Mobile signal, I have ran speedtests and average about 11mbps down/2mbps up. I'm very pleased with those speeds. I actually left AT&T postpaid and went T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan for now to see how it goes. The minutes may be low, but that can be adjusted if need be.

Overall

I feel like the Nexus 4 is a superb phone. The build quality is excellent and it feels like a premium device. I will be getting either the bumper or a case as well as screen protectors. This is nothing different than what I do on every phone I have owned though. I ALWAYS use screen protectors (rarely on the back) and use a case often. I think you may need to be more careful than usual with this phone, but that's what happens when the phone isn't made of plastic. There are tradeoffs both ways. If you want a premium device, you are going to have to protect it either with a body skin or case or something.

Should I upgrade?

I have owned the One X, S3 and Galaxy Nexus. I feel like those are the phones people interested in the Nexus 4 would be coming from. So here's what I would say:

If you have the GSM Galaxy Nexus, upgrade UNLESS you don't want to baby your phone. If you throw your Nexus around and hard handle it, the Nexus 4 may not be what you want. But the Nexus 4 is a better phone in EVERY WAY than the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

If you have the One X, upgrade if you want 4.2. The camera, screen and build aren't as good as the One X. You can get by without a case on the One X, something I don't think you can do with the Nexus 4. I don't like the Sense UI much and I don't really enjoy ROMing all the time, so stock Android on a phone is terrific for me.

If you have the S3, I probably wouldn't upgrade unless you hate Touchwiz. The S3 has a better camera, comparable screen, and you don't have to feel like it will break in your hands. Again, maybe it's just the fact that I've read all these scary threads about how the Nexus 4 will break and scratch if you aren't careful, so maybe I'm paranoid.

Honestly, it's all about the OS. It may seem obvious but the One X, S3 and Nexus 4 all run VASTLY different UI's. If you plan on putting CM10 on anything, then the One X or S3 would be better to me. I didn't like doing that all the time, so having a device that is the Google device works for me.

Good luck in your decision and hope you like the Nexus 4 as much as I do!
    Thanked by 4:
    badbrad17 and inspire_evo like this.

nm.
    Last edited by Perry Fabiano; 11-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Just got mine today....YAY!!
    Im coming from a Galaxy Note 2 and a Galaxy Nexus on VZW before that.

First impression is that its very light Coming from the Note 2, the Note seems to be a much clunkier device, and of course it is.
    So far the hardware itself seems nice with a quality feel. I think if i dropped it, it would shatter, thats why im waiting on a case before I use it (im paranoid).

The screen seems decent, better than the samsung galaxy but not as good as the Note 2
    I will know more as I use it. For the price, I dont think there is a better device.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast