Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Sweet, thanks. Battery life seems to be pretty good. With all your music streaming and idling, with the first half of your battery life you still got about 2 hours of screen on time. I don't see you having problems getting 5 hours of screen on time without any streaming and little time idling. Thanks!

5 hours of screen on time seems possible, but what you're doing with that time will make all the difference, along with brightness setting. I have my backlight turned way, way down and don't find it to be dim at all. Biggest battery eaters are processing intensive apps, bright screen and cell data. If you want to maximize your time, avoid those things like the plague.

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
2 hours on screen time is nothing. I use this easily in half a day. I would love to know if you can get 4 or 5 of on screen time. That would be awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Sounds like you need a job ;) Just kidding of course, but personally I don't have that much time to play on the phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need a job ;) Just kidding of course, but personally I don't have that much time to play on the phone.

Lol. That's why I need it. I use it a lot for work. I am normally in meetings and do demos on my Transformer Prime with tethering and checking lots of emails through the day. Then at the end of the day I lay on the couch and watch TV while having AC consume lots of my screen time as well.

I do get time to recharge now and again but frankly just don't think it's necessary when we have the technology available to power our so called smart phones. If there wasn't a Razr maxx I may not be as vocal but because there is, all other manufacturers need to belly up and fix this issue plaguing us.

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Lol. That's why I need it. I use it a lot for work. I am normally in meetings and do demos on my Transformer Prime with tethering and checking lots of emails through the day. Then at the end of the day I lay on the couch and watch TV while having AC consume lots of my screen time as well.

I do get time to recharge now and again but frankly just don't think it's necessary when we have the technology available to power our so called smart phones. If there wasn't a Razr maxx I may not be as vocal but because there is, all other manufacturers need to belly up and fix this issue plaguing us.

Unfortunately I think your use case is outlying. The simplest solution I can think of for you is one of those rechargeable external bricks. That or a different phone that can use a severely obese super battery.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya, probably. I just don't want to get the Razr MAXX. I want an IPS LCD screen, so I may have to bite the bullet and just continue to be connected to my cable. The extended battery box doesn't really help because I am still plugging in. I don't want to plug in. I may try the Nexus 4 and if I find it doesn't work I can always give it to one of my kids and buy the S4 or something when it comes out. I know that Samsung won't disappoint on the battery on that phone.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind the RAZR MAXX HD if it had pure Android (I know Blur or whatever they call it now is as close to stock as you can get but I want to go all the way), got faster updates, and was a little better looking.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would like to leave a full review at some point, but the thing that strikes me the most about this phone is the screen. I really can't see the pixels, the colors are pretty good (not oversaturated like the GS3), and the blacks are actually pretty black. Unless I'm in a dark setting, I can't see where the black bezel ends and the actual screen starts, especially at the top of the screen where the notification bar starts. But overall I really like this phone, and I would recommend it to my family and friends. I was lucky I got one without any flaws or problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Did everyone have 4.2 System Update out of the box?
As in LG/Google began manufacturing the phones before the final gold 4.2 release?

No it was not running 4.2 out of the box, but the phone updated to it very soon after I'd logged in to Google during the set up process.

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to say the same thing happened here too. Love having this Nexus. Updates immediately. Good luck getting that on any other android device

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my nexus 4 on Monday and so far I have to say that I would have never even considered buying an LG phone (and probably wouldn't if it had LG's UI). This phone is amazing though!! I have had no problems with 4.2. It's great considering I am coming from gingerbread and never got to use ICS. There have been no problems with crashes. No yellow spots on the screen from glue and no problems with crashes. The screen is great, crisp and clear. I am not a fan of SAMOLED displays. The phone remains fast and fluid. The camera is not fantastic but my wife has a GS3. The battery life is better than what I'm used to but I don't have problems charging in the car or at work either. The only downsides are that with 16 gigs of memory (12 usable) you won't be able to store a lot of media and sometimes the top gets hot but cools down after a minute or two when you turn the screen off. Other than that, I am not mad at LG or Google at all. Nexus 4 ftw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sherwin892

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Built quality

Definitely an upgrade from the Gnex. The glass provides for a more quality but also more fragile feel. Sturdy and substantial, but also thin, I need a case pronto.

Multitasking

The phone is a beast when multi-tasking and glides thru most of the functions I throw at it. My device however heats up especially when playing music. I noticed this when I'm at the gym or when the phone is plugged in car's auxiliary jack. When it heats up is when I notice hiccups and slow downs. I'm not sure if they are related, but I've come to the conclusion that they might be because it only suffers in performance when the phone is hot. And it's not warm it gets not. I can feel the heat with a silicon case and thru my denim. Will look into possibly exchanging if it persists.

Battery life

Battery life to me is equal to if only just a tad better compared to the Gnex. I am hoping that future ROMs from developers will improve it's battery life.

Ui experience

Jellybean is a pleasure to use. I also find it to be graphically appealing especially when personalized to your liking. Love Jellybeans animations and transitions. I'd describe it as sophisticated.

I'm not sure how to feel about the quick settings, as I find it requires more steps for you to actually do what you want to do. Clicking on data for example should just turn off data rather than take me to the data settings.

Any flaws detected

I have the shaking or rattling noise in my unit, but is not enough for me to worry about it. Besides the unusual heat, I have yellow stains on the bottom portion of my screen. I've read that it's the glue and should cure or settle or dry after a few days of use. If it doesn't go away, the heat and yellow stains is enough reason to exchange the device.

Overall performance

I am happy and completely satisfied with the purchase and the upgrade. Even the signal/data is better. And this unit is definitely louder than the GNEX. I just need a case or something. Any recommendations?

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had this phone for a whopping two days and realized today one of the most striking things about this is the screen depth. The actual IPS panel is extremely close to the digitizer/front panel. Much more so than the iPhone and that gives the screen a really crisp look, basically like you're reading a color piece of paper. It's extremely sharp and clear. Several times I've caught myself saying 'wow.' And I'm coming from the iPhone retina display but this thing is that good.

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The final review:
This is the phone to have. Its almost an honor to own this thing, it makes you feel like you've finally made it. The screen is incredibly crisp and the size is just right for me. For the amount of stuff packed inside this thing, it's impossibly thin. Its lighter than it looks but not flimsy. The glass is smooth and touching/ swiping across the screen is a pleasure. It is impossible to make this phone lag no matter how many apps are open and how intense the app in the foreground is. Signal reception (WiFi and cell) is very good. The speaker is loud but clear. Battery life is better than what I was expecting (10-14 hours for me with moderate use). The only things I don't like are that the headphone jack isn't perfectly straight up and down, and the menu/ settings button doesn't resize itself when it's on the bottom of the screen with the other buttons (see attached pic). Other than that, this is a perfect device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-24-23-25-24.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-24-23-25-24.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 80

ruddof

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Happy with the n4 so far. Disappointed that the back shattered so easily. Using a case blocks cordless charging. Not using a case gets you a broken phone. Serious design issue.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Happy with the n4 so far. Disappointed that the back shattered so easily. Using a case blocks cordless charging. Not using a case gets you a broken phone. Serious design issue.

Did you shatter the back on yours? :confused:

Do you think the bumpers and a screen protector on the back would work?

oneguy

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Coming from iPhone 4 this feels great , smooth super fast phone luv key pad . only issue i have is with the battery it doesn't last for a day. I turn off Google now and brightness settings all tuned . still no luck

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Coming from iPhone 4 this feels great , smooth super fast phone luv key pad . only issue i have is with the battery it doesn't last for a day. I turn off Google now and brightness settings all tuned . still no luck

Try toggling the gps off when you're not using it. I always find this makes a big difference. Also try installing Juice Defender.