Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 245
Like Tree46Likes
  1. #151  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    No separate volume control for Notifications on Galaxy Nexus was my biggest irritation too. At night I want to be able to hear the phone if it rings but not every email or message that comes in. That is a big mistake in my humble opinion.
  2. #152  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by ccgabe View Post
    No separate volume control for Notifications on Galaxy Nexus was my biggest irritation too. At night I want to be able to hear the phone if it rings but not every email or message that comes in. That is a big mistake in my humble opinion.
    A lot of people have been talking about this lately. It's strange because I'd never heard it mentioned or cared because I always just put mine on silent, but it makes sense. There apparently are some apps that help on this though.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  3. #153  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Its there. Its in settings under sound. If that's what you mean

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #154  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Loving it and well worth the wait. Screen in amazing, battery life pretty good (20ish hours on first few days with fairly heavy use) and HSPA is giving me 10Mb/s which compared to my Nexus S is brilliant, can't see why I would ever need LTE.

    Software wise most of the niggles I had with the Nexus S and Jelly bean are gone. I listen to podcasts on Podcatcher and autobooks on Audible and found having to unlock then fund the app to play or pause a real pain, the inline remote never worked (or played some random app) and the control on the alerts drop down always crashed the app. All this has gone away with the Nexus 4.

    My only issue so far is reception in poor signal areas. My Nexus S got 2G signal in most of my house on Vodafone (no signal with any other network) but the Nexus4 only gets signal in the middle of the kitchen floor and the window and if I sit on the windowsill at the front of the house... guess I need to invest in a sure signal box. Out of the house I mostly seem to get HSPA.
  5. #155  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Do you use a Galaxy S3? I'm wondering because you said something about the screen being washed out. I don't have the phone yet, but I was just wondering.
  6. #156  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Phascinate View Post
    Do you use a Galaxy S3? I'm wondering because you said something about the screen being washed out. I don't have the phone yet, but I was just wondering.
    people have mentioned it being washed out but I don't see it. It's an IPS display so it's different than AMOLED but it's certainly not washed out.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  7. #157  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Phascinate View Post
    Do you use a Galaxy S3? I'm wondering because you said something about the screen being washed out. I don't have the phone yet, but I was just wondering.
    GS3 is a bit over saturated, N4 a bit under. But between the IPS display and LG's "Zero Gap" design, the display is flat out incredible; my eyes couldn't get enough of that LCD.

    There are also kernels out there that allow you to adjust the displays color reproduction, if you're into that sort of thing.
  8. #158  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    GS3 is a bit over saturated, N4 a bit under. But between the IPS display and LG's "Zero Gap" design, the display is flat out incredible; my eyes couldn't get enough of that LCD.

    There are also kernels out there that allow you to adjust the displays color reproduction, if you're into that sort of thing.
    There is a thread discussing some options on adjusting your display here Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix
    Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  9. #159  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    There is a thread discussing some options on adjusting your display here Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix
    Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Much more information on xda regarding kernels and such. Still, that app seems useful to a degree.
    Thanked by:
  10. #160  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Horaland H View Post
    Loving it and well worth the wait. Screen in amazing, battery life pretty good (20ish hours on first few days with fairly heavy use) and HSPA is giving me 10Mb/s which compared to my Nexus S is brilliant, can't see why I would ever need LTE.

    Software wise most of the niggles I had with the Nexus S and Jelly bean are gone. I listen to podcasts on Podcatcher and autobooks on Audible and found having to unlock then fund the app to play or pause a real pain, the inline remote never worked (or played some random app) and the control on the alerts drop down always crashed the app. All this has gone away with the Nexus 4.

    My only issue so far is reception in poor signal areas. My Nexus S got 2G signal in most of my house on Vodafone (no signal with any other network) but the Nexus4 only gets signal in the middle of the kitchen floor and the window and if I sit on the windowsill at the front of the house... guess I need to invest in a sure signal box. Out of the house I mostly seem to get HSPA.
    20 hours with " fairly heavy use"? Screen shots? If you're having signal issues in poor reception areas doesn't that eat your battery? Since the phone is looking for a signal.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #161  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    While I love the aesthetics of the N4, there is one thing that completely drives me crazy: the chrome rim around the front. Like my iPods and iPhones of old, it looks pretty at first. However, it quickly descends into a scratch-covered wasteland, as if you threw the phone into a bag. Filled with cats.
  12. #162  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by mm625 View Post
    While I love the aesthetics of the N4, there is one thing that completely drives me crazy: the chrome rim around the front. Like my iPods and iPhones of old, it looks pretty at first. However, it quickly descends into a scratch-covered wasteland, as if you threw the phone into a bag. Filled with cats.
    Buy a total wrap for it. That way you can protect the sides too. Something like this http://www.bestskinsever.com/google-nexus-4-skin

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  13. #163  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Love it. Crazy fast. Super light perfect size for me. The only problem... I honestly feel like lg spent too much time on the software and hardware and looked past materials. My power button no longer works, out of the box it rattled around , if you tap around it you can hear it rattle. Don't get me wrong this is an extremely badass phone , but damn I've had this thing for a month and the design flaws are starting to show I might be one of the first to experience this but once the nexus starts becoming easily available others will start to notice too.
    Joenose5 likes this.
  14. #164  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    I am using it for 3 weeks and I love it. It serves the purpose for which it is purchased.I am able to take decent photos,videos,surf the net,play games - all at a satisfactory scale.But the problem with the threads in this forum is that they do anatomy of the phone and compare with the best in the market and post negativities.You cannot compare it to a digital camera or camcorder or a tablet pc.By paying $391 people expect to have all in one with top most performance.If at all compared with other smart phones compare with unlocked phones availabe at $391 in the market and not with iphone 5 or galaxy S 3.With this price if Nexus 4 is competing with iphone 5 or S 3 gracefully accept it.This amply proves that people are never content.
    ibbyj and XxTacticS like this.
  15. #165  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    +1

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #166  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by nandaaft View Post
    I am using it for 3 weeks and I love it. It serves the purpose for which it is purchased.I am able to take decent photos,videos,surf the net,play games - all at a satisfactory scale.But the problem with the threads in this forum is that they do anatomy of the phone and compare with the best in the market and post negativities.You cannot compare it to a digital camera or camcorder or a tablet pc.By paying $391 people expect to have all in one with top most performance.If at all compared with other smart phones compare with unlocked phones availabe at $391 in the market and not with iphone 5 or galaxy S 3.With this price if Nexus 4 is competing with iphone 5 or S 3 gracefully accept it.This amply proves that people are never content.
    You can buy 2 Nexus 4's for the same price as an iPhone 5. If it lasts a year then mission accomplished. But I expect mine to last much longer.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  17. #167  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Not all phones are made equal. No issues with mine. Worth every penny

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  18. #168  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Croweater View Post
    20 hours with " fairly heavy use"? Screen shots? If you're having signal issues in poor reception areas doesn't that eat your battery? Since the phone is looking for a signal.
    I get the feeling that the phone gives up looking for a signal eventually. Certainly if I go into airplane mode then out again it often gets a signal.
  19. #169  
    Kmasum's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Received nexus 4 for my wife yesterday , simply love it I currently own iPhone 5, and let me tell you android has matured a lot , I had droid x, it was constantly crushing and battery life was very poor, so I ended up switching to iPhone 4s and now iPhone 5. "Google now" is awesome !! I am using this phone a lot and letting go my iPhone to my wife... There's specifically one app I am missing in android market is a good reddit app. I love my ios "alien blue" app.. I looked at market and there's no reddit app comes close to alien blue...how long we gotta wait till a good reddit app comes to android ?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #170  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    It is possible, just be careful while you're doing it, try to do it over your bed so that if you drop it, it won't break. However, you do have to take off the back protector, sorry.
  21. #171  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmasum View Post
    Received nexus 4 for my wife yesterday , simply love it I currently own iPhone 5, and let me tell you android has matured a lot , I had droid x, it was constantly crushing and battery life was very poor, so I ended up switching to iPhone 4s and now iPhone 5. "Google now" is awesome !! I am using this phone a lot and letting go my iPhone to my wife... There's specifically one app I am missing in android market is a good reddit app. I love my ios "alien blue" app.. I looked at market and there's no reddit app comes close to alien blue...how long we gotta wait till a good reddit app comes to android ?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Give Reddit Sync a try. It's been getting good reviews.

    Sent from my HTC One S
  22. #172  
    dbareis's Avatar

    Posts
    291 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    This is my 3rd day with the phone so its definitely first impressions (and compared against my previous Samsung galaxy Nexus)...

    GOOD:
    • The GPS is fantastic, very quick to get a fix and then with many satellites
    • WiFi seems better
    • I think the battery will last longer
    • Thinner phone which I'd rather was fatter with a bigger battery.
    • The notification light's white appears to be white :-)

    BAD:
    • The default SMS "Messenging" app is not matching phone numbers to contacts (phone app works on same people). SMSDroid matches the numbers OK.
    • The notification light is low power (maybe saves on battery power?) and tiny. Basically much harder to see at a glance, particularly if not looking straight on.
    Last edited by dbareis; 02-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
  23. #173  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    i just got the nexus 4 few hours ago...real rough first impressions:

    let me preface by saying this is my first android/google phone. i am coming from an iphone 4.

    first, WOW. this thing looks awesome, screen is amazing, i think it feels great in my hand and love the bigger screen. switching between screens, apps, so buttery smooth (iphone 4 is that way, i do think nexus is a little faster in that regard)

    the thing is light as heck..my iphone 4 feels like a brick compared to it. simply amazing.

    again thats just real quick, i havent really downloaded much. i'll update once i play with more features
  24. #174  

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    Got this last night. Bought it Tuesday, arrived Thursday. My initial impressions, after only playing with it for a couple of hours, comparing it to my GS3:

    - Phone is insanely fast/snappy.... so much faster than the GS3 when opening things and flipping between screens. And the GS3 is pretty damn snappy as is.
    - Camera disappointing compared to the GS3. GS3 easily takes great photos. I've been playing around a little and you need to keep a few things in check to get decent pics.
    - Sort of disappointed with the pure Google experience. Seems like a very basic "launcher" on this phone (at least thats what I've read). I know you can download a new launcher, but I was expecting to do nothing and have everything right out of the box.
    - In regards to the above, I think I sort of actually like Touchwiz on the GS3. I like my toggles being at the top of my notification bar. I know you can drag 2 fingers and get to quick settings, but no GPS toggle or Sync toggle or a few others available via Touchwiz.
    - Don't like how limited the settings are. Can't delete homescreens (stuck with 5)? I can't seem to find out how to turn haptic feedback off.
    - Like the Swype keyboard on the GS3 better than the stock 4.2 keyboard. Swype is more intuitive.
    - I like Touchwiz because almost EVERYTHING is customizable. Fonts, chat bubble colors, vibration patterns, etc.
    - Gesture controls on Touchwiz: swipe left to message, swipe right to call, etc.
    - Build quality seems very good, the only issue I see is that it seems like there a lot of gaps where dust/dirt can get into.
    - Screen is nice. I'm used to the saturated GS3, but I can tell this is a very high quality screen.
    - Sparkles on the back aren't as girly as I thought they were going to be. Actually couldn't even get them to come up when showing a co-worker... need a direct light source to see them.
    - I am not too fond of the icons. Example is the notification of a text message. Little smiley face in a bubble thing... I'd prefer just a regular envelope or something.

    So the above might have seemed pretty negative, but that is only because I'm comparing it to the GS3 which I consider the best phone you can buy right now. So customizable and intuitive. I almost wish I could get some of the Touchwiz features and put them on this phone. Again, this is a great phone, especially for $350 (16gb) I just think it could have used a few more features to make it perfect. I'm sure I'll find some more things I like once I play with it a little more.
  25. #175  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

    To turn off haptic feedback just touch something that opens the keyboard. Hold the microphone for a few seconds and highlight the getting menu that appears. Go to keyboard settings, scroll all the way down to advanced. Touch that then about half way down set the vibration to 0 ms. You can also uncheck vibrate on key press on the first setting screen.

    On another note. On the stock keyboard, if you look t the keys some will have the three dot menu on them. Those you can hold and extra options will show.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Galaxy Nexus First Impressions/Reviews
    By Cyber Warrior in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
  2. [Reviews] Motorola Xoom First Impressions & Reviews
    By Chris Kerrigan in forum Motorola Xoom
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
  3. [Reviews] LG G-Slate First Impressions & Reviews
    By Chris Kerrigan in forum LG G-Slate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
  4. Inspire 4G First Impressions/Reviews
    By Cory Streater in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions