Is it really 4.7'?

Androidz

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, the phone itself is 4.7 as whole but considering the 'on screen' capacitive buttons (back, home, etc) along with the border line menu buttons (phone, mail, message and camera) the screen size available comes to around 4.3" or 4.5" believe it or not.

I do believe you guys will know what am saying but is it really that way or the actual screen will be the whole 4.7 when you use the phone?

see here to understand: Google Nexus 4: Hands-On and Comparison with the LG Optimus L9 - YouTube

don't like this at all.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The entire panel is 4.7-inches diagonally.

The buttons take space away from that, just like the status bar does on the top of every Android phone.

We've had this discussion all the way back in late 2011 with the GNex. Why do people think this is such a big deal? If you don't like on-screen navigation keys (why??), then don't buy the Nexus 4. Simple as that.

Androidz

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The entire panel is 4.7-inches diagonally.

The buttons take space away from that, just like the status bar does on the top of every Android phone.

We've had this discussion all the way back in late 2011 with the GNex. Why do people think this is such a big deal? If you don't like on-screen navigation keys (why??), then don't buy the Nexus 4. Simple as that.

Im sorry its not the whole 4.7 screen available then and that is an issue for me, if not others. You should be able to get the whole picture and take advantage of the screen size given.

In that video clearly the nexus 4 is not up to the mark with the Optimus and being the flagship device that is not what you would want.

I sold my HTC Cne S thinking Im upgrading to a bigger screen when it actually comes down back to 4.3' or more.

Anyway hope it doesn't make a huge difference.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Im sorry its not the whole 4.7 screen available then and that is an issue for me, if not others. You should be able to get the whole picture and take advantage of the screen size given.

Would you prefer that the screen was actually physically smaller to put capacitive buttons under the screen instead? Because that's what would happen if you wanted to get rid of the on-screen buttons with the same device chassis. I don't see the argument here... Its a 4.7-inch screen, and just because the navigation bar takes up some pixels at the bottom doesn't make that untrue.

In that video clearly the nexus 4 is not up to the mark with the Optimus and being the flagship device that is not what you would want.

Because the screen has 4.65-inch instead of 4.7-inch of usable space? Are you kidding me?

I sold my HTC Cne S thinking Im upgrading to a bigger screen when it actually comes down back to 4.3' or more.

The bottom bar doesn't reduce your usable screen size from 4.7 to 4.3 inches. Seriously. And you actually get more information on the screen than the One S because its higher resolution... Size w/o resolution means absolutely nothing.

If you want to give up having a Nexus for an Optimus G so that you can get back some 100 pixels at the bottom of your screen, you need to seriously re-evaluate your hierarchy of needs on a smartphone.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The nav bar takes literally 48 vertical pixels. If your middle school education wasn't so terrible, then you could've figured out that the screen is reduced to 4.579" of diagonally usable space, most manufacturers would round it up to 4.6" for easier marketing and 99.9% of consumers would never know.

Seriously, I wish that people like you would take the time to at least think a little and learn to do some basic math before freaking out over absolutely nothing and making outlandish claims over stuff that you clearly have no understanding of. When it comes down to it, the screen has a resolution of 1280x768, so when you go on landscape to watch most of the video content out there, you get guess what? a 1280x720 resolution. Yep, the very same 16:9 ratio that almost all content is coming out nowadays.

And if you actually knew a little about android, you would know that you could kill process for the nav bar and get apps to place soft buttons overlayed on top of the screen, so you don't have to miss out on your precious 48 vertical pixels.

If that was too complicated for you, then the tl;dr - Nav Bar only takes 0.1" of screen space, if that's a deal breaker, then stop looking at AOSP based devices, because it is here to stay.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The point of on-screen buttons is that they can a) re-orient themselves as needed and b) disappear when not needed.
Cap-touch buttons are just always there taking up space.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Anyway hope it doesn't make a huge difference.

The nice thing about the onscreen controls is that they tend to go away when not needed. Photo and video apps generally hide them and you've got nothing but sweet, sweet screen space.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Jeez, didn't we have this same emo crybaby whining last week about how onscreen buttons mean the display isn't really 4.7" and Google lies and blah-blah-woof-woof? So boring.