Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Default I have an iphone 5.....

And just bought the Nexus 4. Without "favoritism" what do you think is the better long term phone?

Default Re: I have an iphone 5.....

I think this pic sums it up nicely.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    And just bought the Nexus 4. Without "favoritism" what do you think is the better long term phone?
    both the same, you'll probably get longer software support on the iphone as from what I've read nexus has only 2 years. Both great phones, however apple is falling behind imo which is the main reason I'm switching

at the end of the day it comes down to preference

I still currently have both and at this moment in time my iPhone 5 is sat in its box and waiting to be won on eBay so thats my answer ! I've been waiting for an android phone with the same/similar build quality of apple products and this one definitely lives up to it, so i'm happy
    Thanked by:
    smileman and cinek like this.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    I think this pic sums it up nicely.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2m45c8i.jpg
    Lmao good one

Sent from my PC36100

Android.

First, buy a phone for what it does out of the box. Anything it gets upgraded to is a bonus down the road.

Apple has hit the wall, basically, in hardware. They are going to milk you wanting to upgrade through software updates. They will leave out features for older devices from here on out, I think. I had a 3G and the 4.0 OS left it so slow it was unusable to me so I moved to android and never looked back. Apple should have not released that update for the 3G.

I love how android gets fresher and fresher looking each year. Apple - well, what has really changed? I can pick one up and it is pretty much my 3 year old 3G, just snappier.
    smileman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
    Android.

First, buy a phone for what it does out of the box. Anything it gets upgraded to is a bonus down the road.

Apple has hit the wall, basically, in hardware. They are going to milk you wanting to upgrade through software updates. They will leave out features for older devices from here on out, I think. I had a 3G and the 4.0 OS left it so slow it was unusable to me so I moved to android and never looked back. Apple should have not released that update for the 3G.

I love how android gets fresher and fresher looking each year. Apple - well, what has really changed? I can pick one up and it is pretty much my 3 year old 3G, just snappier.
    as has everyone else. Any hardware on these new phones is major overkill. At this point it is all about software. IMO, if you are going for a solid eco system apple has everyone beat, but I think you can still have an android phone and fill that hole. I do agree with you that adroid phones definitely feel "fresher". Apple really needs to change things up with IOS...aka ditch the open app drawer. I think they fired a bunch of big wigs in charge of IOS b.c they are not being innovative.

Oh and I cannot even tell you how accurate that cast away photo is. I think apple maps have succesfully got me to my destination 1 out of every 5 times.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

If Android gets its act together and delivers updates faster Apple will lose even more customers my sister has an iPhone because she knows it will last her whole two year contract and get updates Android phones can't say that besides nexus devices

Sent from my PC36100

That is the big draw to the iPhone. It is exactly why I jumped ship and bought the iPhone 5. But one month on it and off to eBay it went and I picked up a cheap Rezound.

Android just keeps calling me back....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    bgl321 likes this.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

I think Google and oems need to take a stand and demand full control of the smartphone Apple is on the decline this is the best time to do it

Sent from my PC36100

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    I think Google and oems need to take a stand and demand full control of the smartphone Apple is on the decline this is the best time to do it

Sent from my PC36100
    considering the iphone 5 sales....I would say they are anything but on the decline. Every new phone out sells the previous generation iphone....and is much higher than any other single phone.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
    considering the iphone 5 sales....I would say they are anything but on the decline.
    Lol ok maybe not decline but we haven't seen innovation in a while from Apple so this is a chance for Android to try and take over

Sent from my PC36100

they are only popular as Juvies think they are cool & people like my mother claim they need it for work as everyone has one... but wonders "what is the + and - button on the side for?"
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    bgl321 and TheGreenPanda like this.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    they are only popular as Juvies think they are cool & people like my mother claim they need it for work as everyone has one... but wonders "what is the + and - button on the side for?"
    I had the first 4 iphones and while I prefer Android I can see why people are drawn to Apple (ios updates, more apps, build quality) but its stale its way to confined so I made the switchb

Sent from my PC36100
    bgl321 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    Both will last long enough and get updates for a sufficient period for you to become bored of them, most likely. Both will retain approximately the same resale value relative to what you paid for them.

Obviously, you ask the question on a Nexus 4 forum, you'll get a lot of Nexus 4 - biased opinions, including my own. I'd go Nexus 4 hands-down.

But the reality is that either phone has the hardware and software legs to do just fine for a couple of years. I really think we're reaching a cusp as we did with the PC where the race for features, while far from over, is sliding more into a refinement period than a revolutionary one. There may be a few killer hardware features to add, but I really think a lot of the new stuff will be in terms of the software, with maybe some fairly revolutionary things in displays.

In 24 months, whichever phone you choose, you should be looking at a reasonable expectation of a phone still running the latest OS and retaining a pretty good resale value.

The only real advantage of the Nexus right now is its price. For $300, you're risking a lot less money on either obsolescence or accident.

I dislike how you cant overly customise it.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Quote Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
    Android.

iPhone at leats give oyu some new features in updates where Android phones on other hand tends to leave you without any updates at all, forcing you to... upgrade

I see there is irrational arrogance on both sides.

Have been an iPhone 3G user since launch, I was looking into the 5 because I think after 4 years I'm due for an upgrade haha. All I could think when testing the 5 out though is "well this looks badass, but I've been here before", iOS became boring. So I jumped ship, and what better way than a Nexus!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    iPhone at leats give oyu some new features in updates where Android phones on other hand tends to leave you without any updates at all, forcing you to... upgrade
    That's what the "Nexus" line is all about. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get updates for as long as the hardware can support the new version - which works out to about two years in most cases.

What you say is absolutely true - of non-Nexus devices (in cases where the owners are unwilling or unable to load aftermarket firmware that will often keep updates coming for quite some time after the phone drops off official support).

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

That fantasy that apple has better software support is simply not true. Even though all their most of their phones are upgraded to 6.0 you dont get all of the features of the OS unless you have the newest hardware. In my opinion at least android is more transparent in that respect, but cutting off updates to specific models you know which features are available to you or not and you can make a better informed decision.

Also keep in mind, apple now is more about litigation than innovation. If you look at their recent software launches you can see there has been a significant dip in their innovation. Buying a nexus device is your best future proof option you have right now.

I'll say the Iphone 5.

Is anyone concerned about going from an LTE phone to a non LTE phone? I have an iPhone 5 and I'm wondering if it'll be a painful step back to go back to hspa+. I loved my Galaxy Nexus and JB made the phone even better. I was really looking forward to the next Nexus but I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have LTE even though I can understand why Google chose to omit it. Just curious to get other peoples thoughts.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
    Is anyone concerned about going from an LTE phone to a non LTE phone? I have an iPhone 5 and I'm wondering if it'll be a painful step back to go back to hspa+. I loved my Galaxy Nexus and JB made the phone even better. I was really looking forward to the next Nexus but I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have LTE even though I can understand why Google chose to omit it. Just curious to get other peoples thought.
    I have an HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon. Verizon's "3G" is a LOT slower than AT&T's HSPA+. For 99% of the time I'm out and about, I can barely tell the difference between Verizon's 3G and 4G/LTE. It's really only when I am uploading or downloading pictures or trying to do things with bulk data that I notice the difference, and I have WiFi both at home and work for that.

My wife has an AT&T-based Galaxy S2 (non-Skyrocket), and her phone is noticeably faster than mine even when I'm rocking full-on LTE. It's only in artificial speed tests that I can see that my actual data speed is higher.

The difference between HSPA+ and LTE in real-world use is that you'll burn through a 2 GB monthly plan in an half hour versus a whole hour if you use them full-tilt-boogie.
    pblakk likes this.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I think it's a difficult decision. I was an iPhone 3GS user for a couple of years, then because I had a work-provided blackberry, I decided to sell the 3GS and wait for iPhone 5. I used iPad 1 since it came out, then I bought iPad 3 this year and I've had three Macbook pros over the past 10 years. I bought iPhone 5 when it came out, used it for a month and returned it. The hardware itself is gorgeous -- I didn't mind that it didn't have a bigger screen or NFC. My problem was with iOS 6 (on the phone, not on iPad). I think Apple has become unimaginative and complacent with iOS. Looking back, its OS X has changed much more in the past 5 years than has iOS. Because of this lack of innovation, I returned the phone. I still love my iPad.

I also was willing to give Nokia 920 a chance, but because it's only available on the expensive AT&T network, I went ahead and ordered Nexus 4 from T-Mo (see my earlier post on how I got it for $150 and not $200, T-Mobile Business service sells Nexus 4 (16gig) for $150 with 2yr contract).

UPS says Nexus 4 will be delivered by 3pm today. I'll report back with my impressions.

Lev

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    That's what the "Nexus" line is all about. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get updates for as long as the hardware can support the new version - which works out to about two years in most cases.

What you say is absolutely true - of non-Nexus devices (in cases where the owners are unwilling or unable to load aftermarket firmware that will often keep updates coming for quite some time after the phone drops off official support).
    exactly....and why iphone software updates tend to make your older model feel sluggish, the android updates have the reverse effect. Look what JB did to the last nexus
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast