Straight Talk Prepaid phone into Nexus 4

Lance Vang

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A lot of us weren't lucky enough to order a Nexus 4 and so we have to wait up to three weeks for another chance order our Nexus 4. Unfortunately for me, my MetroPCS service ends in 2 weeks and I don't want to renew my service for another month so I'll have no phone service for at least a week. I came up with an idea but I wonder if it will work so let me know if it will work or won't work so I can save myself some money :)

At the end of my service with MetroPCS I was thinking about getting this phone from Walmart:
Straight Talk Refurbished LG 900 GSM Phone Plus $45 Unlimited Plan: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

This phone has a regular sized sim card:
http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfonev1/695/docs/manual.pdf

After a week of using the LG 900, I can finally order the Nexus 4 and a micro sim cutter from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Micro SIM Cutter, Converter with 2 SIM adapters: Electronics

My Nexus 4 and micro sim cutter arrives 2-3 days later. I take out the sim card out from the LG 900, cut the sim into a micro sim, I put the micro sim into the Nexus 4 and transfer my Straightalk service into my Nexus 4:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...k.com/wps/portal/home/Activate&token=BFneRmUs

Will this work?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
A lot of us weren't lucky enough to order a Nexus 4 and so we have to wait up to three weeks for another chance order our Nexus 4. Unfortunately for me, my MetroPCS service ends in 2 weeks and I don't want to renew my service for another month so I'll have no phone service for at least a week. I came up with an idea but I wonder if it will work so let me know if it will work or won't work so I can save myself some money :)

At the end of my service with MetroPCS I was thinking about getting this phone from Walmart:
Straight Talk Refurbished LG 900 GSM Phone Plus $45 Unlimited Plan: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

After a week of using the LG 900, I can finally order the Nexus 4 and a micro sim cutter from Amazon:

My Nexus 4 and micro sim cutter arrives 2-3 days later. I take out the sim card out from the LG 900, cut the sim into a micro sim, I put the micro sim into the Nexus 4 and transfer my Straightalk service into my Nexus 4:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...k.com/wps/portal/home/Activate&token=0hLtKyNd

Will this work?

Yes as long as u change the APN settings on the nexus 4. U can also just order a micro sim from straight talk and use it in the nexus 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...k.com/wps/portal/home/Activate&token=z97lNoRx

Will this work?

Pretty sure the answer is no as the BYOP "Bring your own phone" sims are different and don't work with straight talk branded phones and vice versa. You could still technically do what you are wanting to do tho with a couple additional steps.. Order a micro sim (if you plan to use AT&T otherwise Tmobile is standard size only) and one of the service cards. When you get the Nexus 4 in simply call straighttalk customer service and have them transfer your number over to the new sim, I'm pretty sure you will lose whatever time you had left from the original phone as you are changing plans as well, which is why you'll need the service card to add airtime onto your newly activated BYOP sim.

By the way I purchased that exact same cutter recently to cut my Tmobile straight talk sim and it worked perfectly...

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the answer is no as the BYOP "Bring your own phone" sims are different and don't work with straight talk branded phones and vice versa. You could still technically do what you are wanting to do tho with a couple additional steps.. Order a micro sim (if you plan to use AT&T otherwise Tmobile is standard size only) and one of the service cards. When you get the Nexus 4 in simply call straighttalk customer service and have them transfer your number over to the new sim, I'm pretty sure you will lose whatever time you had left from the original phone as you are changing plans as well, which is why you'll need the service card to add airtime onto your newly activated BYOP sim.

By the way I purchased that exact same cutter recently to cut my Tmobile straight talk sim and it worked perfectly...

Before the BYOP was available ppl were buying the Nokia E71 and taking the sim out and putting it in a different phone. But I think ordering the micro sim would be easier and cheaper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith