Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By piizzadude
  • 2 Post By reign831
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    So a local T Mobile store has 5 in stock. Of course at first I was initially excited but the feeling quickly went away as I thought to myself, "Is it worth the trouble?" My initial plan was to buy the phone on contract for $150 (discounted for work), sign up for the cheapest what ever classic plan then leave. Figured I'd cancel it in a few days then head over to Walmart and get the 30$ Prepaid plan. The thing is, I am planning on moving overseas In February so being unlocked is key. It seems that it is unlocked so thats not the issue. The problem is the termination fee might not be 200 as I initially thought but would be for the remainder of the phone (about $350). I don't know if that is comfirmed but still.


    If you were in my shoes, would you chance the fees just to have the phone a month early (and be one of those evil posters who post about it) or just bite the bullet and wait for a second batch that you might not even have a chance to order from?

    I have a 2 year old optimus but in no rush to have it in my hands but then again, it would be awesome to be one of the first to have it.



    Any advice, suggestions, thoughts are appreciated.
  2. #2  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydc View Post
    So a local T Mobile store has 5 in stock. Of course at first I was initially excited but the feeling quickly went away as I thought to myself, "Is it worth the trouble?" My initial plan was to buy the phone on contract for $150 (discounted for work), sign up for the cheapest what ever classic plan then leave. Figured I'd cancel it in a few days then head over to Walmart and get the 30$ Prepaid plan. The thing is, I am planning on moving overseas In February so being unlocked is key. It seems that it is unlocked so thats not the issue. The problem is the termination fee might not be 200 as I initially thought but would be for the remainder of the phone (about $350). I don't know if that is comfirmed but still.


    If you were in my shoes, would you chance the fees just to have the phone a month early (and be one of those evil posters who post about it) or just bite the bullet and wait for a second batch that you might not even have a chance to order from?

    I have a 2 year old optimus but in no rush to have it in my hands but then again, it would be awesome to be one of the first to have it.



    Any advice, suggestions, thoughts are appreciated.
    You have to wait until after the grace period to break your contract, so 14 days in most states, or 30 in a few like California.

    Phone $150 + $35 activation possibly
    $200 Termination
    I think the cheapest plan would be $69 / month

    So you'd be at ~$400 at the low end (no activation and only paying for 14 days of service)
    And right around ~$500 at the high end.

    I would just buy the phone outright honestly. You're lucky T-Mobile has them in stock around you. I'm in CA (right near Google HQ actually) and I can't find any that have 'em in stock yet.
  3. #3  
    rickydavis1051's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydc View Post
    So a local T Mobile store has 5 in stock. Of course at first I was initially excited but the feeling quickly went away as I thought to myself, "Is it worth the trouble?" My initial plan was to buy the phone on contract for $150 (discounted for work), sign up for the cheapest what ever classic plan then leave. Figured I'd cancel it in a few days then head over to Walmart and get the 30$ Prepaid plan. The thing is, I am planning on moving overseas In February so being unlocked is key. It seems that it is unlocked so thats not the issue. The problem is the termination fee might not be 200 as I initially thought but would be for the remainder of the phone (about $350). I don't know if that is comfirmed but still.


    If you were in my shoes, would you chance the fees just to have the phone a month early (and be one of those evil posters who post about it) or just bite the bullet and wait for a second batch that you might not even have a chance to order from?

    I have a 2 year old optimus but in no rush to have it in my hands but then again, it would be awesome to be one of the first to have it.



    Any advice, suggestions, thoughts are appreciated.
    Wait bro. I purchased one for $500 off ebay at first then got a refund. Definitely wait.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Thanks guys, yeah the impulse buy would bite me in the ***.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Good things happen to those who wait.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  6. #6  
    nickacs's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!
  7. #7  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................



    I'm going to base my numbers off the $200 they charge for the phone regularly on-contract, since I don't know if the "business" plan you can get it for $150 is different.

    Initial phone cost: $200
    ETF for canceling: $200

    The cheapest plan they have with data is $70/month, so assume you'll have to pay for a full month before canceling.

    Total phone cost: $470 plus fees, taxes, and the hassle of signing up for a plan and canceling it. There may be some unlocking involved.

    For $30 more (or $80 more if you can manage the same trick with your business account), you can walk in, grab a phone off the shelf, do the Fry "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" thing, and walk away with unlocked Nexus 4 sweetness today.

    Or you can wait a week or three (risking having T-Mo completely run out, because I doubt they are getting replenished very fast!) and see if Google starts releasing more $300/350 handsets and what your shot is at getting one.

    NOTE: If your moving overseas is part of a military deployment, T-Mo has a policy of waiving the ETF. See the T&C on the link I posted above.
  8. #8  
    klau25's Avatar

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!
    pretty sure Google doesn't care if you buy it from them or not. They care about your information, using their search engine and service. It's all about ads. you are only punishing yourself by spending 150 more.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  
    ijip's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    it depends if you could wait another 2 weeks. Black Friday is coming and i just cannot imagine that there would not be any nexus4 available at that time....
  10. #10  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!
    You tell them! Google is not getting any damn money from you!

    But they will get it from t-mobile from you purchase so at least they have that going for them

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    nickacs likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    I'm thinking of also just picking one of from Tmo; I didn't get an order in on launch; tried and tried but it wouldn't go thru. Currently I'm phone less and don't have any contract commitment; but the key would be if I could get the phone right away; I just have a feeling the play store will not get them in stock for quite some time.
  12. #12  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by Plano26 View Post
    I'm thinking of also just picking one of from Tmo; I didn't get an order in on launch; tried and tried but it wouldn't go thru. Currently I'm phone less and don't have any contract commitment; but the key would be if I could get the phone right away; I just have a feeling the play store will not get them in stock for quite some time.
    At $500, it's still a good deal. Not as good a deal as it is at $350, but a LOT cheaper over time than any contract-locked phone.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Looks like I will just have to wait; called all the stores around me and none had them in...oh well.
  14. #14  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!
    Yeah man, F Google, you tell em!

    It's not like they are getting any money from T-Mobile for carrying them!
    It's not like they get a share of any money you spend on the phone's app marketplace!

    Put em in their place!
    Thanked by:
    nickacs and wilara23 like this.
  15. #15  
    nickacs's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

    Quote Originally Posted by reignx777 View Post
    Yeah man, F Google, you tell em!

    It's not like they are getting any money from T-Mobile for carrying them!
    It's not like they get a share of any money you spend on the phone's app marketplace!

    Put em in their place!
    Yea, I did tell'em didn't I! LMAO... Doesn't mean shyt now as my Tracking# has come through, so f it. Have fun at TMobile guys! I LOVE YOU GOOGLE!

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint users I need your advice?
    By Bronxdroid in forum Sprint
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
  3. need your advice
    By hawkins1973 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
  4. I need your advice
    By DanH in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 05:07 AM
  5. Finally! Need your advice!
    By NinjaMom in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

B