Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This should be big news - "Google Screws up the Launch of the New Nexus Phone by LG"

Why isn't this front page news? "Google butchers the launch of the Nexus 4!" I would think that big Android sites and other news would be all over this since its such a big screw up from the biggest web company in the world. Someone is trying to keep this hush hush since the problem is buried in the forums. If it was front page news, we would all have apology emails and more information from Google about REAL expectations.

Default Re: This should be big news - "Google Screws up the Launch of the New Nexus Phone by LG"

Speaking only for the US market, look at the proportion of the wireless market T-Mobile holds, then consider what proportion of that is actually interested in the N4.

Default Re: This should be big news - "Google Screws up the Launch of the New Nexus Phone by LG"

Not only that but it may have a tactic to use against carries by showing that their phone sold out in hours.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Look at the proportion of all GSM carrier's that this phone will work with and you have yourself a BIG CHUNK of the US market. AT&T is a huge carrier for this phone.

Minutes* this may sound ironic, but Google - Nexus 4 and you will see news of their screw up as people call it.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Quote Originally Posted by ctechnow View Post
    Look at the proportion of all GSM carrier's that this phone will work with and you have yourself a BIG CHUNK of the US market. AT&T is a huge carrier for this phone.
    Honestly, who cares about 3G any more?

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Why isn't this front page news? "Google butchers the launch of the Nexus 4!" I would think that big Android sites and other news would be all over this since its such a big screw up from the biggest web company in the world. Someone is trying to keep this hush hush since the problem is buried in the forums. If it was front page news, we would all have apology emails and more information from Google about REAL expectations.
    Bloggers and websites are probably afraid if they make a statement like that Google will cut them off from getting review units and blacklist them.

If this was Apple, it would be not just all over the web front pages but on your 6 o' clock news and blasted nonstop on CNN. You'd have Anderson Cooper b*tching about how he was jamming F5 Hitler-style.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    nokia4life likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by STC09 View Post
    Speaking only for the US market, look at the proportion of the wireless market T-Mobile holds, then consider what proportion of that is actually interested in the N4.
    Were not talking about who cares about 3G here.. I see that the Galaxy S2 Launch for Boost Mobile ends ups as front page news but not this? Instead the only news is how they sold out in under an hour but not one mention about how screwed up things really were.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Bloggers and websites are probably afraid if they make a statement like that Google will cut them off from getting review units and blacklist them.

If this was Apple, it would be not just all over the web front pages but on your 6 o' clock news and blasted nonstop on CNN. You'd have Anderson Cooper b*tching about who he was jamming F5 Hitler-style.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    AFRAID or PAID for silence about this is the real question..
    nickacs likes this.

Because it wasn't a surprise, we where just wishful suckers. Screw Google, I'm going Bing.
    moosc and gone down south like this.

Were not talking about who cares about 3G here.. .
    It only runs on 3G on AT&T; it's hard to imagine that appealing to very many. Who wants to step down/back to that?

Tempest in a teapot. Add in LTE for broad, forward-looking appeal and you'll see the media take notice.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see Google slap Verizon into line.

Google screwed up in a similar manner with the Nexus 7 just a few months ago. Google it - or Bing, if you're feeling particularly gimpy - if you don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Minutes* this may sound ironic, but Google - Nexus 4 and you will see news of their screw up as people call it.
    "google screws up nexus 4 launch because too many people wanted to buy it" is the best negative press to have

AFRAID or PAID for silence about this is the real question..
    i doubt they have any more information about the mess than we do at this point

You guys are mistaking message-board-enthusiasm for real-world-enthusiasm. It's not a story, because 99.9% of the population never heard of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't care either way if they did.
    moosc, fabulas, natehoy and 2 others like this.

It runs on hspa + on at&t which is referred to as 4G so yes it has 4G on at&t

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    You guys are mistaking message-board-enthusiasm for real-world-enthusiasm. It's not a story, because 99.9% of the population never heard of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't care either way if they did.
    Isn't it kinda the point of the news to report about stuff people have never heard about?
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Isn't it kinda the point of the news to report about stuff people have never heard about?
    Only if it's relevant to their lives and interests. I could tell you a hundred scandalous stories of poor corporate performance in my industry, but unless you're somehow connected to tthat industry you'd never care a lick.
    mikelowrey likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    I agree, this AM under my local news tech section it talks about some silly apps that no one has ever heard of or would care about. Google comes out with a new phone with all kinds of order/supply/demand problems and that is not news? Especially when they just had a similar problem with a different Nexus device, news coverage should be FEEDING off of this. If Microsoft, Samsung or Apple had a disaster like this you bet that it would be all over the news but to just leave out Google's mistakes? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it comes down to a few issues. 1. The major part of the cellular users have no idea what Nexus is or why they would want it. They are happy to buy their carrier subsidized devices and have no concept of what open source is or what it would mean to them. It is people like those on the this forum who are wanting this type of technology and freedom and even realize it is possilbe. It is not a news story to the majoity of the population base and they don't even know Google released a new phone. On the other hand iPhone is a household word and will be a major news story.

Carriers do a lot of advertising,. when is the last time you saw a Google TV ad? Those same carriers do not want information about a superior technology, unlocked phone being available.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I see your point but let's leave out the fact that its a phone that initially is only in T-Mobile stores. It's a product form Google that had huge launch issues. At the end of the day a HUGE company, GOOGLE made a HUGE mistake. That is news no matter what the device or service is.

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    Marketing BS - theoretical throughput is half that of T-Mobile.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

oh geez...

come on now guys...has it really gotten to this?
    Thanked by:
    fabulas and KenDavidson like this.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Google does. Google doesn't want a lot work so it goes with something that carriers are moving away from. I mean phone only going to be good for a year. So no need to invest in next gen radios

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Your complaint would have more merit if it wasn't totally false. Like this:

* Android Central 116: The Google Play debacle; Verizon's DNA | Android Central
    * Nexus 4 backorder e-mails go out en masse | Android Central
    * This week's sidebar poll: Were you able to order a new Nexus? | Android Central
    * Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 launch on Google Play Store in U.S. + Canada [update: N4 sold out] | Android Central

Yeah, totally covered up. Do you line your hat with Reynolds Wrap or plain old store brand tinfoil?

Considering Google hasn't made any announcements as to what happened, it's all just speculation and nerd rage emo crybaby stuff. Would an explanation be nice? Sure, but so what? That they FUBARed this is self-evident and people are going to be very leery of trying to buy at launch in the future, but these are the firstest of First World problems. Are rockets raining down on your city? Has your home been washed away by a hurricane? No? Then you're doing just fine.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    Thanked by 5:
    moosc, bp3dots, yfan and 5 others like this.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

But that was last year.this year att is lte 4g and that is what sells.
    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast