Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rclifton
  • 1 Post By harrycarry250
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Default AT&T apn settings

I got my Nexus 4 but my data speeds are somewhat poor. I got the phone from the T-mobile store and I am using it on AT&T's network, I know that ATT has a fairly ok HSPA+ network and I know the speeds that I regularly get on it. Right now my Nexus only displays a "H" next to my signal bar instead of the H+. The woman at the ATT store said this phone would only receive 3g data... Is that the sim card, ATT, or my apn settings.
    Thanks

Default Re: AT&T apn settings

Quote Originally Posted by harrycarry250 View Post
    I got my Nexus 4 but my data speeds are somewhat poor. I got the phone from the T-mobile store and I am using it on AT&T's network, I know that ATT has a fairly ok HSPA+ network and I know the speeds that I regularly get on it. Right now my Nexus only displays a "H" next to my signal bar instead of the H+. The woman at the ATT store said this phone would only receive 3g data... Is that the sim card, ATT, or my apn settings.
    Thanks
    When using it with an AT&T straighttalk sim I had H+ so it's not the phone. I posted this in another thread but try these settings. [APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 9/15) - xda-developers

Thanks
    Xda posts said the t mobile versions of the phone were getting pretty weird data speeds when used on AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Xda posts said the t mobile versions of the phone were getting pretty weird data speeds when used on AT&T.
    There isn't a Tmobile version per se, it's exactly the same as the one in the play store..
    Andrew Martonik likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Is it possible you could link me to those threads?

There are APN setting apps which fix your APN for you.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Paranoid android

My apn says cingular, is that why I am getting the 3g(HSPA) speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    There are APN setting apps which fix your APN for you.
    I'm not aware of any that would actually work with the Nexus 4 tho, as didn't the changes made in ics pretty much break all of the apps that automatically fixed apn settings. Or did someone figure out a fix?

not sure, i am phoneless.
    Tom Fairclough
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Paranoid android

I could really use some help here. I do not know why I am not getting HSPA+ speeds but this is silly. HSPA really sucks and I know people have used this phone on ATT.

Global Posts
    1,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I could really use some help here. I do not know why I am not getting HSPA+ speeds but this is silly. HSPA really sucks and I know people have used this phone on ATT.
    I don't have my N4 yet but, on my Gnex I use a app called Offline Sim aPN Database pro. There is a pro and free version. It should show you the right settings but you have to manually enter them.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1BUE5DaGVjayJd
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Will the phone show a H+ or just an H when I am on HSPA. All I have right now is an H next to the bars.

Never had a GSM phone before so not sure if this helps (switching from Sprint to AT&T to get the N4) but here's a post about APN settings that I saw recommended to people with unlocked phones.

Edit: Link xda-developers - View Single Post - Atrix AT&T APN settings [CWM]
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Where is the link?

Global Posts
    1,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Will the phone show a H+ or just an H when I am on HSPA. All I have right now is an H next to the bars.
    On my Gnex it only shows H and that's all it shows on At&t. In the settings it shows HSPDA-8 with is a HSPA standard. I'm not sure about the N4 but I think it has the same frenqencies as the Gnex with the exception that it will do HSPA-42 on Tmobile. I'm anxious to test all this out when I get the N4 but, from the looks of it, it not as fast as on Tmobile.

On my Gnex I get about 3-4 Mbps on At&t and almost double that on Tmobile, around 6-8 Mbps and this is HSPA-21.

Where is the link?
    Sorry, made an edit to the post and forgot to paste it back in. Here it is: xda-developers - View Single Post - Atrix AT&T APN settings [CWM]
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Thanks a ton! I still have no clue what network I am on but one of those apn's upped my speeds dramatically.
    Fairclough likes this.

I always find that some a dodgee, like i am on prepaid if i put the prepaid one in it slow but if i put the plan one (still works) it can be a ton faster.
    Tom Fairclough

My apn says cingular, is that why I am getting the 3g(HSPA) speeds.

Yes. This is what att continues to tell me. They cannot activate the N4 on a 4G plan because they say it is not a 4G device. Have you had any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    I don't have my N4 yet but, on my Gnex I use a app called Offline Sim aPN Database pro. There is a pro and free version. It should show you the right settings but you have to manually enter them.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1BUE5DaGVjayJd
    I was searching for mentions of my software and came across this thread.
    If your settings are not there, or if the ones there do not work, send the developer (me) an email. I will update the database with the correct settings.

You do not have to enter them all manually, you can copy and paste the values. You do have to manually create the APN entry though to put the values in. It is a limitation with ICS and above.

Thank you for using the Offline SIM APN Database ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by p1neapples View Post
    Yes. This is what att continues to tell me. They cannot activate the N4 on a 4G plan because they say it is not a 4G device. Have you had any luck?
    Go to a different store, or find a different rep to deal with. AT&T customer service seems to be very hit and miss. Before I switched to T-MO I was with AT&T. One AT&T store the guy couldn't have cared less and seemed pissed I was even in the store. The next one I went to the guy working there was very excited to get my data plan fixed. Not sure why they are telling you it is not a 4G phone. If they consider HSPA+ 4G then it is. Sooner or later someone at AT&T will know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    I always find that some a dodgee, like i am on prepaid if i put the prepaid one in it slow but if i put the plan one (still works) it can be a ton faster.
    I've been sitting here trying one APN after another, and everytime I run speedtest I get .01 Mbps download and 1.07 Mbps upload. And yes, I wrote those numbers accurately. So I must be stuck on the old Edge network, but I can't find a way to kick it over to the HSPA+ network. Anyone else have any luck yet?

Edit: I'm using AT&T Prepaid.

Thanks
    Some people (like me for the first 2 days) could fail to notice under the Access point names is > Use only 2g networks < Mine was ticked, but now that's corrected I'm on warp speed!