pastornordel

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Im a bb user considering switching to android and buying a nexus 4, whenever they become available. I would like to know if the nexus 4 has a led notification light so that messages can be noticed without waking up the phone. Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Just like the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 4 has an LED notification light in the center of the bottom bezel below the screen. You can't really see it unless its lit up, as its "hidden" in the dark glass.

There's no good native control for it, but there are great apps like Light Flow that let you control every kind of notification and the light associated with it.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just like the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 4 has an LED notification light in the center of the bottom bezel below the screen. You can't really see it unless its lit up, as its "hidden" in the dark glass.

There's no good native control for it, but there are great apps like Light Flow that let you control every kind of notification and the light associated with it.

So it has a 3 color LED but you need to use an app to control them?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So it has a 3 color LED but you need to use an app to control them?

i think it is a multi color LED. there is a 3rd party app called lightflow which lets you make certain apps have certain colors as the notifications. almost all android users use this app.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i just got my nexus 4 last night so it is hard to say but i have always found it to work great on other phones. There was a small period where the update to JB broke functionality but it has since been updated and works great.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
how well does it work?

RGB LED is on my "must have" checklist for phone so I can install Light Flow on it and have customised colored notifications (green=email, purple=social, orange=missed call or sms, red=no signal etc). Light Flow does way more than its name implies and really needs renaming....

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
RGB LED is on my "must have" checklist for phone so I can install Light Flow on it and have customised colored notifications (green=email, purple=social, orange=missed call or sms, red=no signal etc). Light Flow does way more than its name implies and really needs renaming....

Right, it also controls sound and vibrations, repeat notifications, reminders, all of that. I've opted to just use it for the LED, however, because it got a little messy when I tried using to for sounds/vibrations. I think with enough time and configuration it could be useful though.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Works very well on my Galaxy Nexus. If for nothing else its good to stop the LED from randomly flashing for apps. Its good to know what colors are associated with what apps and have it set up like you like it.
it seems odd that even though the hardware has a multicolor led yet there is no native support. maybe patents from RIM are preventing them?

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll find there is basic support, but light flow extends that to supported apps that don't support the led also.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
it seems odd that even though the hardware has a multicolor led yet there is no native support. maybe patents from RIM are preventing them?

There's support, its just not extensive. By default, the light blinks for most built-in apps with pre-defined colors, but you can't do any control of it on your own via the stock Settings menu.

The fact that you can download an app and have 100% control over the LED shows that there's no restrictions on using it (be it because of patents or any other reason).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad