Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: Nexus 4 Failure

Start praying that your phone isn't bricked. Chances are you won't see a replacement phone for at least a month.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    So it is crippled several ways?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thermal throttling is a good thing for the longevity of the device. The number one enemy of electronics is heat.
    Also, listen to agalvin13, benchmarks don't mean jack.
    Trying to associate Microsoft with "fun" is like trying to associate Satan with aromatherapy.
    -- Tycho from Penny-Arcade.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by GnosticYoyo View Post
    Thermal throttling is a good thing for the longevity of the device. The number one enemy of electronics is heat.
    Also, listen to agalvin13, benchmarks don't mean jack.
    We are talking about a phone here not a server farm. No one brought up benchmarks, they do not mean jack at all.

There are quite a few other things that are coming out as wrong about this phone and it is barely in users hands yet.

I really hope it does not turn into the debacle it is shaping up to be. I want the Nexus to be good....

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Just thought Id update this.

The pointers you guys gave were spot on in terms of trying to factory reset the phone but its unresponsive.

I just talked to someone at Google. I explained the situation and they said they will send me another phone. He said that even though its sold out they have an allocation to deal with DOA's

Because its the weekend nothing can be done but hopefully I will have an email in the morning to get things moving. Regardless I will update this thread if nothing else as a record of customer service.

Of course they do. I'm sure thousands are just laying around. Nice plan Google!
    jian9007 likes this.

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruster View Post
    Just thought Id update this.

The pointers you guys gave were spot on in terms of trying to factory reset the phone but its unresponsive.

I just talked to someone at Google. I explained the situation and they said they will send me another phone. He said that even though its sold out they have an allocation to deal with DOA's

Because its the weekend nothing can be done but hopefully I will have an email in the morning to get things moving. Regardless I will update this thread if nothing else as a record of customer service.
    Nice... Yea, I was going to post up a link over to XDA forum that someone unboxed their phone and right away had a scratch on the left outer "ring" portion. So he called Google yesterday and they will be sending him a new phone tomorrow. He even posted up his new order email from Google confirming so. He said, like you, that Google has plenty of phones already that are for warranty/issues, so you should be good to go too.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Even though they didn't plan for the high demand, they planned for all the broken ones? Are you kidding me. Well at least that backs up what I said about the "first batch" having problems. Google admits it. I just hope they don't send out refurbs already.

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Even though they didn't plan for the high demand, they planned for all the broken ones? Are you kidding me. Well at least that backs up what I said about the "first batch" having problems. Google admits it. I just hope they don't send out refurbs already.
    It's common practice for manufacturers to reserve units for defective replacements, as it has been proven that nothing is 100% perfect. It's better to have people who paid for theirs be able to get them replaced if need be, than to sell every single unit they made, and have people who need replacements wait for weeks.
    Thanked by 3:
    nickacs and natehoy like this.

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Here's the XDA thread on phone coming already with scratches:
    Nexus 4 arrived with scratches - xda-developers

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

We are talking about a phone here not a server farm. No one brought up benchmarks, they do not mean jack at all.

There are quite a few other things that are coming out as wrong about this phone and it is barely in users hands yet.

I really hope it does not turn into the debacle it is shaping up to be. I want the Nexus to be good....

i can only speak for the one i have in hand. but this is the best phone i have ever used. There is always people on here or on tech blogs complaining about new phones over small minutiae. this is the best phone out right now, the only two flaws is the 16gb rom and lack of LTE. Besides that this thing is pretty flawless. Defective units happen. Luckily google is saving some to provide to customers if they receive one. Yet some how you are complaining about them doing this?
    Google Android Affectionado
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    It's common practice for manufacturers to reserve units for defective replacements, as it has been proven that nothing is 100% perfect. It's better to have people who paid for theirs be able to get them replaced if need be, than to sell every single unit they made, and have people who need replacements wait for weeks.
    Yep, that's exactly how it works. Like I said, the first ones are expected to have problems. That's exactly why they make more. Hope everything works out.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Do you think Google is the only company to do something like this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Do you think Google is the only company to do something like this?

Yeah really. I am not going to defend the phone at all, but this is a common practice.

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Of course they do. I'm sure thousands are just laying around. Nice plan Google!
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. But I think this is a very good plan by Google. They have to deal with helping people who have already made their purchases.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    bilago likes this.

I guess no one here likes people AGREEING with them. Yes it is common practice, yes it is a GREAT idea, and no Google isn't the only company to do it. You see,I agree with everything you say. Now let's get back to the main point. All of these companies use this great idea that is common practice because they all know that with a new product comes new problems that they will have to face. My God, that was hard.

I guess no one here likes people AGREEING with them. Yes it is common practice, yes it is a GREAT idea, and no Google isn't the only company to do it. You see,I agree with everything you say. Now let's get back to the main point. All of these companies use this great idea that is common practice because they all know that with a new product comes new problems that they will have to face. My God, that was hard.
    People just cant tell if you're being serious, sarcastic, or flat out trolling. Don't take that the wrong way, it's just how some of your posts have come off.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Thank you for clarification. Lol.

Android Evangelist

At least my post portray my real character. I'm pretty sarcastic...that's why I love Phil's reviews and post. I can totally relate
    Thanked by:

Wow what a big big problem..

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Yeah really. I am not going to defend the phone at all, but this is a common practice.

I'm not defending the phone. Just trying to be realistic.

Plus, I know how angry I would be if I received a defective phone only to be told I would have to wait for a replacement.

Just personally speaking I'm tired of what I believe is a lack of quality control on these devices. They seem to be in such a rush to get these things out that they are failing to make sure they are ready for release. How many Android phones are released with numerous bugs and problems? It seems that each of them are. Right now it is sounding like the Note 2 has bugs with its multi tasking, the Galaxy Nexus had more than it's fair share of bugs. Motorola has released phones with problems with their radios.

I personally do not find it comforting to turn on my brands new phone and the see the notification that there is an update.

Unfortunately, unless it's an iPhone, when there are bugs the lag time for an update will be weeks to months. I'm not saying Apple is any better with bugs. My gf had to have the iPhone 5 when it came out. The first one she received had a faulty wifi and bluetooth on it. Went into an Apple store for a replacement, fortunately they do hold some stock over for replacements. But, ios6 has its share of bugs. I think her phone has been updated now 4 or 5 times.

In my opinion these OEM's need to slow down and make sure there are not these problems before the phones are released.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Plus, I know how angry I would be if I received a defective phone only to be told I would have to wait for a replacement.

Just personally speaking I'm tired of what I believe is a lack of quality control on these devices. They seem to be in such a rush to get these things out that they are failing to make sure they are ready for release. How many Android phones are released with numerous bugs and problems? It seems that each of them are. Right now it is sounding like the Note 2 has bugs with its multi tasking, the Galaxy Nexus had more than it's fair share of bugs. Motorola has released phones with problems with their radios.

I personally do not find it comforting to turn on my brands new phone and the see the notification that there is an update.

Unfortunately, unless it's an iPhone, when there are bugs the lag time for an update will be weeks to months. I'm not saying Apple is any better with bugs. My gf had to have the iPhone 5 when it came out. The first one she received had a faulty wifi and bluetooth on it. Went into an Apple store for a replacement, fortunately they do hold some stock over for replacements. But, ios6 has its share of bugs. I think her phone has been updated now 4 or 5 times.

In my opinion these OEM's need to slow down and make sure there are not these problems before the phones are released.

Tl;dr

I know you weren't either, and I skimmed your post and agreed with what I saw

Just got the phone yesterday via t-mobile and I noticed it crashing a bunch of times. I tried a reset and realized that slightly touching (rubbing) the power button caused the screen to turn on and off and cause a crash and trying to do recovery through the methods posted I too received the red blinking notification light. ugh time to call!

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I think this is a problem with all products. Cars, tvs, toasters, software. We don't live in a perfect world. Google will release an update it will resolve the issue. Life goes on.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mohamadali View Post
    Just got the phone yesterday via t-mobile and I noticed it crashing a bunch of times. I tried a reset and realized that slightly touching (rubbing) the power button caused the screen to turn on and off and cause a crash and trying to do recovery through the methods posted I too received the red blinking notification light. ugh time to call!
    If you bought it from T-Mobile, try taking it back to the store first. You should be able to walk out with a new one instead of having to wait for one to be shipped to you.

Well, I went in to exchange and they were sold out along with every other store in town. So I ended up just returning and getting all my money back. I will be buying from play store when they come out....one day. haha

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I went in to exchange and they were sold out along with every other store in town. So I ended up just returning and getting all my money back. I will be buying from play store when they come out....one day. haha
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast