Nexus 4 Failure

IrnBruster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Im sorry my first post isnt a positive one.

I received my phone on Thursday. It was working fine until around 30 minutes ago. Where upon, and without warning its frozen on the 'Google' screen? There is a huge build up of heat at the back of the unit and a faintly audible whirring noise.

There was no incident leading to this, the phone was sitting on my desk beside me. I went to pick it up and noticed the 'Google' logo and thought something wasn't right. If I hold the power and volume switch it simply turns off and restarts back to the 'Google' logo. It will not shut down or boot up. Nor will it respond to usb, Im gutted.

As you can imagine after such a long wait its rather disappointing to find your new phone is faulty. I really cannot hide my frustration, Im now without a mobile phone. I need it for work commitments.

Anyone else experienced this, where to from here?

Thanks in advance.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That is a bummer. How can he do a factory reset if he can't boot it?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
And so it begins...

All behold such a helpful post!

Anyway...

1. Turn off the device if it is turned on
2. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button at the same time for about three to four seconds to turn the device on, if done correctly you?ll see an Android lying on its back
3. Use the volume buttons to navigate to the Recovery Mode option, and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
4. The device will restart, and after a few minutes the device should boot to a screen showing an Android with a red triangle, press and hold the Power Button and Volume Up on this screen
5. Use the volume buttons to navigate to Wipe Data / Factory Reset and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
6. Use the volume buttons to navigate to Yes and press the Power Button to confirm your choice

These instructions are for the Nexus 7 but I'd assume it's about the same for the Nexus 4. It's worth a shot.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
apparently there is a bug in the bootloader so you have to do it this way.

Plug the phone into your computer (this is the bug, you must do it) while it is powered off.
hold the power AND the volume up AND the volume down buttons at the same time.

That should take you into the stock recovery, from there you can do a factory reset and see if that helps. I have yet to find a 3 button combo that simulates a battery pull...this is one of the reasons we need removable batteries...

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
while the phone is completely off.. hold both up and down on the volume rock then hold power button. hold all three until it locks to a imagine of the android.

if the phone keeps restarting over and over you may need to let it die first then plug it in to charge. I do not know how to hard power it off if it is bootlooping.

one you are at the fastboot screen, you can unlock your bootloader, flash the stock images and relock and see if that fixes it. If you do not know how to do what i said it may be best to send it back for a replacement as your phone could already be defective and tampering with it may void your warranty.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm sorry my post didn't solve the problem and got in your way on these public forums that are full of speculation and gossip that are all so helpful. I posted the very first useless post. Go me!

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
All behold such a helpful post!

Anyway...

1. Turn off the device if it is turned on
2. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button at the same time for about three to four seconds to turn the device on, if done correctly you?ll see an Android lying on its back
3. Use the volume buttons to navigate to the Recovery Mode option, and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
4. The device will restart, and after a few minutes the device should boot to a screen showing an Android with a red triangle, press and hold the Power Button and Volume Up on this screen
5. Use the volume buttons to navigate to Wipe Data / Factory Reset and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
6. Use the volume buttons to navigate to Yes and press the Power Button to confirm your choice

These instructions are for the Nexus 7 but I'd assume it's about the same for the Nexus 4. It's worth a shot.

i just tried these with my nexus 4 and it worked up until step 4. the notification light blinked red and the phone turned off.

also holding the power button for 5 seconds is the hard reset

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
i just tried these with my nexus 4 and it worked up until step 4. the notification light blinked red and the phone turned off.

also holding the power button for 5 seconds is the hard reset

So as soon as you choose the Recovery option the phone just turns off, doesn't even reboot? :-S
Also, how warm is the phone currently?

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm going for a record. Is this trolling? I'm new to open conversations on public forums.I would tell you not to have a useless remark to mine, but I understand what forums are. But for real though. My first post made sense. With being the first to having the newest comes being the first to experience the first problems. Just saying. Hope it works out though.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
room temp

and no, i get to fastboot then select recovery an it takes me to the android on his back with red hat and it says no command.

if i hold up and power it turns the screen off the led flashes red a few times and then turns off.

edit my phone is working fine i am just trying to help.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
room temp

and no, i get to fastboot then select recovery an it takes me to the android on his back with red hat and it says no command.

if i hold up and power it turns the screen off the led flashes red a few times and then turns off.

edit my phone is working fine i am just trying to help.
Sorry for some reason I thought you were the OP. :p

if you have fastboot on your computer, try going into fastboot and type this on the computer:

fastboot reboot Recovery

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Im sorry my first post isnt a positive one.

I received my phone on Thursday. It was working fine until around 30 minutes ago. Where upon, and without warning its frozen on the 'Google' screen? There is a huge build up of heat at the back of the unit and a faintly audible whirring noise.

There was no incident leading to this, the phone was sitting on my desk beside me. I went to pick it up and noticed the 'Google' logo and thought something wasn't right. If I hold the power and volume switch it simply turns off and restarts back to the 'Google' logo. It will not shut down or boot up. Nor will it respond to usb, Im gutted.

As you can imagine after such a long wait its rather disappointing to find your new phone is faulty. I really cannot hide my frustration, Im now without a mobile phone. I need it for work commitments.

Anyone else experienced this, where to from here?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry that you've had issues with your new device.

I would do the hard reset.

IrnBruster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks alot for your advice on this thread. I really appreciate it, I followed the instructions but the phone is now dead. No response at all.

Im at my partners house now so I cant hook it up to a computer to see if I can get it to light up again. Im feeling pretty disappointed but hey, there's more important things going on in the world.

I will try again tomorrow, Ive sent Google play an e mail in the meantime but it doesnt look good.

For sure I will update this either way. Itd be good to hear if Im the only one to suffer from these problems or if this is a familiar story to other users.

I hope this is an isolated case and that others dont encounter the same issues.

Thanks alot.

FWIW Im in the UK.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey